Old photos

Rate this topic

wiggy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's Lough Swilly engine, though that's an interesting theory (reaches for LLSR books!).

Industrial certainly, given small coal capacity. Looks 4ft 81/2 to me, appears to have "dumb buffers" thus proving industrial ancestry.

Could be anything in GB; the more I look at it the more I would think isn't Irish.

I think the number on the tank side reads "6 A", if indeed that is a number. The wheelbase resembles that of the old Stephenson "long boiler" class 1275(?) goods engine from the Stockton & Darlington.

What really confuses me are the pannier-like tanks, and what appear to be chopper couplings.

At the moment, I'm thinking it's from the Wrexham Mold and Connah's Quay Railway, which did run some very strange engines with wheelbases like that in the photo.....

Edited by Horsetan

I don't think it's Lough Swilly engine, though that's an interesting theory (reaches for LLSR books!).

Industrial certainly, given small coal capacity. Looks 4ft 81/2 to me, appears to have "dumb buffers" thus proving industrial ancestry.

Could be anything in GB; the more I look at it the more I would think isn't Irish.

Built by Sharp Stewart and later sold on to the Cork and Bandon who converted them to 4-4-0t. I ve seen that picture before but can t figure out where

great pics there Train Model - esp the collapsed viaduct!

The story of the viaduct is that it had 3 large sections and an electric draw bridge to allow for the use of boats.It was sold to Hammond foundry for £10 but they had to take it down and the story goes it was sold to krupps in Germany and posted to the uk during ww2 I have a few pictures of the bridge being built somewhere as well as the pilers.I have met a lot of people that traveled on the line and until the Celtic Tiger most of the pilers were intact

image.jpgIn 1919 the first transatlantic flight landed in Galway at Cliften it crash landed near the Marconi wireless station in a bog the Marconi company had a narrow gauge railway about 1and a half miles long to bring turf to the boilers at the station and had just got this state of the art railcar

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11285[/ATTACH]In 1919 the first transatlantic flight landed in Galway at Cliften it crash landed near the Marconi wireless station in a bog the Marconi company had a narrow gauge railway about 1and a half miles long to bring turf to the boilers at the station and had just got this state of the art railcar

thats a great pic- one you wont see too often:tumbsup:

Hi All,

I was asked by a friend - yes, I still have one - to help identify the locomotive below. Sorry for the poor quality - photo of a poor photo. The only identification mark is 5 on the side of the loco. Any information gratefully received. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11263[/ATTACH]

This is a Consett Iron Company A Class Kitson built long boiler 0-6-0PT. There were a fair number in the class with one preserved. Here's a link to a couple at Derwenthaugh in later National Coal Board days. http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/9089246539/in/set-72157627014288780

This is a Consett Iron Company A Class Kitson built long boiler 0-6-0PT. There were a fair number in the class with one preserved. Here's a link to a couple at Derwenthaugh in later National Coal Board days. http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/9089246539/in/set-72157627014288780

Thanks for the information and I'll pass it on to the party concerned.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11285[/ATTACH]In 1919 the first transatlantic flight landed in Galway at Cliften it crash landed near the Marconi wireless station in a bog the Marconi company had a narrow gauge railway about 1and a half miles long to bring turf to the boilers at the station and had just got this state of the art railcar

This pic appears in an early edition of the IRRS Journal or it could have been Wally McGrath's "Some Industrial Rlys" book but all the others were very interesting. When I was a railway enthusiast.....well the Clifden line was my first love.... nearly persuaded my Granny to buy Ballynahinch Station back in the late 1970s.