Toms new layout!!!!

Rate this topic

Riversuir226

Blame Boskonay for this one:D,

I ve been finalising this for what seems like an age but the loco depot is here at last, well on the screen anyway:p

The depot

LOCO DEPOT.jpg

I was going to base my loco depot on Cork diesel depot but seen that Mr Scahalane (making a fantastic job of it) has it covered i went for a little part of another depot. I ll be still building Glounthaune on one side and Waterford West on the other side leading into this plan.

I ll be building it in stages starting with the depot, then Glounthaune, countryside and then finally Waterford west.

Edited by Riversuir226

Looking good Tom - what's the overall area? I assume the double line running around is the mainline?

If I could make a suggestion, you might want to change the crossing for a slip / point to allow locos enter the exit the depot branch from the left / outside line? (ie: locos can enter from the outside track, and exit to the inside track)

It might also be useful to incorporate a headshunt (even a short one) to let locos, or short fuel oil trains shunt between the depot lines? Have you can idea of shed / wash / other feature placement?

loco amended.jpg

Played around a bit with it, 4m x 1m is the area set aside for the depot area.Total area for the layout will be 5m x 4m. The sheds are based on the southern end of Inchicore's running shed, practically everything else is condensed or remodelled to fit the space. The shed area needs to be big with the "little" loco fleet that i have;).

The buildings will be scratchbuilt, the main 4 road shed will be able to accomadate up to 8 071's, 2 per road, the 2 road shed will be able to accomadate a 201 on each. I ll have various jacks, forklifts around the area and at the back there'll be a car park and a few bits of condemned stock with an excavator doing its evil deeds.

Edited by Riversuir226

Lovely work on Inchicore, uh, I mean Cork. :tumbsup: The loop and the headshunt are a great simple addition. Refuelling road is the loop?

Many thanks Richie, i didn t even think i d be able to get even a portion of the great works into my space, good old google earth and eiretrains were very handy to get the plan of that part of the yard and for drawing out the shed plans, hardest part was ignoring the tranverser at the back of the sheds as id love to use the heljan one. Many thanks to boskonay for the suggestions as they make a big

improvement to the general plan.

Any other suggestions are very welcome:tumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6842[/ATTACH]

Played around a bit with it, 4m x 1m is the area set aside for the depot area.Total area for the layout will be 5m x 4m. The sheds are based on the southern end of Inchicore's running shed, practically everything else is condensed or remodelled to fit the space. The shed area needs to be big with the "little" loco fleet that i have;).

The buildings will be scratchbuilt, the main 4 road shed will be able to accomadate up to 8 071's, 2 per road, the 2 road shed will be able to accomadate a 201 on each. I ll have various jacks, forklifts around the area and at the back there'll be a car park and a few bits of condemned stock with an excavator doing its evil deeds.

The changes certainly make a big difference to the operating potential.If I might make a couple of suggestions to consider,firstly,I am not sure of the purpose of the link line introduced coming of the inner line from Glounthaune,although Glenderg may have called it right.If so,then I think from an operating point of view the loco's running into Waterford West and reversing wrong line to the sheds would be quite prototypical.Secondly,if you change the 2 points at the headshunt for a double slip,one line from the slip can go to the 4 road shed and one line can go to the 2 road shed.This would allow your shed roads to be a bit longer rather than all coming off one point and if you remove the aforementioned link line,it could be possible to have the refueling depot as a 2 track fuel point with a line either side of the fueling point.

The changes certainly make a big difference to the operating potential.If I might make a couple of suggestions to consider,firstly,I am not sure of the purpose of the link line introduced coming of the inner line from Glounthaune,although Glenderg may have called it right.If so,then I think from an operating point of view the loco's running into Waterford West and reversing wrong line to the sheds would be quite prototypical.Secondly,if you change the 2 points at the headshunt for a double slip,one line from the slip can go to the 4 road shed and one line can go to the 2 road shed.This would allow your shed roads to be a bit longer rather than all coming off one point and if you remove the aforementioned link line,it could be possible to have the refueling depot as a 2 track fuel point with a line either side of the fueling point.

layout expanded.jpg

I ve been playing around with the plan again and managed to get the loop parallel to the mainline, as a result the plan will be Inchicore, countryside, Glounthaune(till the n25 bridge), Middleton line & mainline will emerge into Waterford West from the otherside of the bridge and finally a bit of a run by the river before arriving back into Inchicore.

The inclusion of the double slip is a major improvement thanks lads :tumbsup:

Edited by Riversuir226

• 4 months later...

Tom,

I assume this plan links up with the other one on the first page, and if so, how do the 4 lines to the right work. Are the middle two the main lines, and the others loops/sidings/headshunts? I'm very impressed by it. I think the key to good track design is that every major route on its own looks natural.

I have one suggestion though. Adding a slip at the end of the top siding and a curved point on the inner line, so that if you're running a goods train from a siding, it makes a smooth transition to the main line. Cant remember the technical term for it, something to do with opposing curves and flange squeal!

R.

waterford_suggestion.jpg

Here is what i would like to achieve

DSC02075.jpg

The two outside lines to the left are to the fiddle yard off scene & the inside lines are the mainlines.

The city side will be the backscene with the edge of the river modelled so in real terms you d be looking in at the yard from the hillside.

Like this view

DSC01979.jpg

Edited by Riversuir226

Here is what i would like to achieve

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9405[/ATTACH]

The two outside lines to the right are to the fiddle yard off scene & the inside lines are the mainlines.

The city side will be the backscene with the edge of the river modelled so in real terms you d be looking in at the yard from the hillside.

now thats a potential layout i would pay to see! good luck with it tom!