RTR Wagons - What next?

Rate this topic

leslie10646

Folks

While chatting to Paddy Murphy, he asked me to produce wagons for his immaculate diesels (to encourage sales, of course) - but what?

I plan a skeleton container flat to take a 20ft container, like the lovely Bell one which is available, the Bulleid corrugated wagon (single and double height, both of which were used for the beet traffic) and possibly a cement bubble. Votes for these and further ideas appreciated by PM, e-mail or reply to string.

Prices? Flat around £20 sterling, Bubble might get within £30 sterling, corrugated wagon in the £20 league. All in resin, as my handmade wagons are, painted and lettered.

No comments, no wagons - it's very simple, but I have tried my best for Paddy!

Thanks again for great Bangor support.

Leslie

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bearing in mind that the current MM models cover the period post mid 70s, ie modern image, you could suggest most of the models already produced by Irish Freight Models. For what is a very limited market compared to the UK, price will be the governing factor.

Stephen

Leslie, great idea!

Having been on the selling side of the counter since the launch of the Murphy Models the one question that

continually pops up is "Can you get me some freight wagons to run with these locos?"

The fact that you are even thinking about producing some gives me great hope, as you say some of the 3D ones just aren't up to scratch.

Small rakes of 3 as an option is another great idea, might cut down somewhat on packing cost etc

Looking forward to some pre production pics !!!

Would just like to add that any of the modern type model freight wagons previously produced by MIR would be of interest. Majority of the Murphy Models loco's and coaches are from the IR or IE period (i.e. 1987-date), so I would imagine that any freight that ran over that period would sell and would be the most popular, but obviously some wagons would be more poular than others. I base this on the fact that you can still but MM CIE liveried locos and coaches in some dealers, but other more modern liveries sold out within months of being released by MM. Just my ten cents.

As an early 60's modeller, the corrugated opens would certainly appeal to me. I would also add the standard CIE covered goods van; known I think to railway men as H's. these were the most numerous wagons ever to run in Ireland and lasted until the early 70's.

It would also be great to see the CIE cattle wagons (KN) in RTR.

The good thing about modelling early 60's goods trains is that you basically only need four wagons types: covered vans, corrugated opens, cattle wagons and brake vans. The latter are available, in 30T format from Studio Scale Models and the GNR version from yourself. Throw in a few ex-GNR covered vans, a few wooded opens and the job is done ( and I'm happy).

Glover

Edited by Glover

I've been waiting for some time for somebody to produce the single-height Bulleid corrugated wagons so I'd definitely be interested in a multi-pack option on these. Big gap in the market at the moment for these given the ready availability of suitable brake vans now and the fact that these wagons were to be seen absolutely everywhere until the late 1980s.

As an early 60's modeller, the corrugated opens would certainly appeal to me. I would also add the standard CIE covered goods van; known I think to railway men as H's. these were the most numerous wagons ever to run in Ireland and lasted until the early 70's.

It would also be great to see the CIE cattle wagons (KN) in RTR.

The good thing about modelling early 60's goods trains is that you basically only need four wagons types: covered vans, corrugated opens, cattle wagons and brake vans. The latter are available, in 30T format from Studio Scale Models and the GNR version from yourself. Throw in a few ex-GNR covered vans, a few wooded opens and the job is done ( and I'm happy).

Glover

Glover is right on the mark about the H vans. Any layout depecting the 1950's to the mid 1970's should have lots of them. I'm suprised that a kit has not been available.

SSM provide 30 ton brake vans and wooden opens and ex GN 12 ton vans and sliding door vans can be adapted from Parkside Dundas kits, what we need are H vans, Bulleid opens and CIE cattle wagons to convincingly model the CIE loose coupled era from the 1960's to the mid 1970's. Add a 20 ton brake van and some older vans and you have the 1950's covered also.

It would also be nice if any new wagons produced could be converted to 21mm guage without major surgery. Best of luck with the project Liesley.

It's a very welcome idea Leslie. I know that the chassis were a standard size and some were cosmetically different to others. This wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as it would be easy to correct. Would the chassis have the correct w irons, axle boxes, J hangers, brake gear, and would it be the correct width for 21mm conversion.

If the answer is yes then Cement, Beet, Ballast hoppers, Ballast plough, and some bagged Cement wagons would be a nice choice. The only way we will see something like this coming to fruition is if someone actually does it. I wish you all the best with whatever happens in the future and if some of the questions I have asked have positive answers I will buy in fleet quantities.

Rich,

Leslie, I would be interested in Bulleid corrugated wagons (single and double height), Bubbles and flats. The 3 pack is a good suggestion.

Folks

The system has just rejected a long reply, which took me half an hour to write, so this will be short.

The above trio suggested by Kirley and many others, are probably high on my list. However, top marks to the guys who suggested the ubiquitous "H" Vans - now why hadn't I thought of those?

So keep the ideas rolling in, please. There'll be something else I would never have thought of!

I'll see what I can do about the three pack idea, which I used with my cattle wagons until the price of the larger boxes rocketed - I do save postage and I DO pass it on!

Very many thanks for the simply terrific response.

Leslie

Leslie,

Aside from all the sound suggestions above, would you consider 4-plank wagons, here,

4-Plank Open Wagons

possibly with the BD Containers also (?) since you already have a perfect chassis in the GNR(I) wagon?

GNR+3616+pic.png

Combined with the H-vans and the bullied opens, this could be recreated

Evening Freight from Ballina

?

Richie.

Again, another vote for a detailed RTR cement bubble, and flats. Pricing is critical, and I think a 3 pack is a great idea.

Edit: another obvious one that I'm always surprised no one has looked at is the 20' brown ISO container with the side opening doors, that CIE introduced in the 60's. (maybe overlooked because people remember the distinctive 10' uniload ones) Marry that to a 20' flat and I think there would be good demand. These originally had the CIE roundal on them, but many had the IR logo applied too. Still many dotted around the network.

Edited by dave182

Again, another vote for a detailed RTR cement bubble, and flats. Pricing is critical, and I think a 3 pack is a great idea.

Edit: another obvious one that I'm always surprised no one has looked at is the 20' brown ISO container with the side opening doors, that CIE introduced in the 60's. (maybe overlooked because people remember the distinctive 10' uniload ones) Marry that to a 20' flat and I think there would be good demand. These originally had the CIE roundal on them, but many had the IR logo applied too. Still many dotted around the network.

Yes, that one appeared on my radar when I found myself looking at a "preserved" one dumped behind the loco shed at Whitehead. So, at least there is a proto

Leslie

Leslie,

Aside from all the sound suggestions above, would you consider 4-plank wagons, here,

4-Plank Open Wagons

possibly with the BD Containers also (?) since you already have a perfect chassis in the GNR(I) wagon?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6886[/ATTACH]

Combined with the H-vans and the bullied opens, this could be recreated

Evening Freight from Ballina

?

Richie.

Richie

I considered this ages ago, when I first rebadged Dapol wagons - especially as I have loads of BR containers about the place. The problem is, none of them will go INSIDE the Dapol (or indeed Bachmann, if memory serves) opens - the sides of the opens are not to scale and so are too thick!

It would need a handmade open with thin sides - maybe one day.

Leslie