Shale Wagons

Rate this question

iarnrod

Question

12 answers to this question

Looking for shale and two bagged cement variant drawings if anyone has them. Willing to reimburse any costs associated with providing me with a copy.

Richie - I'm nearly sure that length wise and width wise, the shale and Tara wagons are identical as seem to be based on the same basic wagon design. Not too sure about the height though as only have pics of shale with a 141/181 loco, but height of shale wagon top surround metal strip comes just above the top white line at the side cab window on an IE liveried 141/181 class loco.

Shale Wagons:

I made up this "profile" of the shale wagons from a video I took coming outta Limerick. Kid.

None of the panels are the same size it would appear, the central ones being slightly wider.

Shale_Profile.jpg

Tara Mines:

Anto took this photo, and mighty useful it is. The outer spars are beefy, the central ones thinner. But the differences between the two wagons is clear.

dublinshow2010062.jpg

All I need now is someone to confirm the dimensions, and I'll do a drawing of both.

Richie.

Good pics Richie. Both wagons look to be same length which is a start. I will hopefully have a drawing of the Tara wagons shortly, so will be in a position to confirm measurements for that wagon type then.

Also, note the two panels at the end i.e. the panel with the wagon number painted on also are slightly thinner than the other panels.

Shale Wagons:

I made up this "profile" of the shale wagons from a video I took coming outta Limerick. Kid.

None of the panels are the same size it would appear, the central ones being slightly wider.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6924[/ATTACH]

Tara Mines:

Anto took this photo, and mighty useful it is. The outer spars are beefy, the central ones thinner. But the differences between the two wagons is clear.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6925[/ATTACH]

All I need now is someone to confirm the dimensions, and I'll do a drawing of both.

Richie.

Richie,

Tara wagon without hood 28mm high from the base (of the wagon & not from rail level!!!) of the bufferbeam/ 32mm wide x 128mm long chassis (excluding buffers), 6mm high bufferbeam, 2.5mm gap, 8mm to brace, brace 1.5mm, 3mm from brace to high beam, beam 7mm, top of wagon 34mm wide(brace 1mm width either side.

Tara roof 3mm thick x 34mm wide x 130mm long(flat roof) has 40 bars across the top 1.5mm wide, gap 1.5mm

Gaps between braces on wagons vary between 10mm to 13mm wide.

The shale wagon differs with the horizontal strengthening bar is between 1.5mm & 2mm thick, height above base approx 9mm with the next horizontal bar(smaller to the side) approx 1.5 to 2mm higher up.

Edited by Riversuir226