Rectangular holes on front of 201 class?

Rate this question

Sentinel281

Question

Hi all,

on some pictures of 201 class locos two rectangular holes under the marker lights can be found, on others, these holes seem to be closed. There is also a difference in the models, for example on the MM0203 (River Corrib) the holes ar closed, while on MM0220, IE 220, River Blackwater, the holes appear black and open. Could anyone advice me what these holes are for and when they are open or closed? The only technical difference between differen locos of this class I could find so far is the ability for push-pull-service with Mk3-rakes. Is there perhaps a conjunction? BTW: Could the 201 class or any other class besides the 121s work with the suburban Mk3-push-pull formations (as delivered from Silferfox models)?

Thanks in advance

Gerhard.

14 answers to this question

121/201 could work in push pull with the Mk3 p/p stock, but 071's and 141's worked with them as hauled stock sometimes, running round at the end of the journey

And yes the footsteps were welded over, no doubt for health and safety reasons.... But 8208/209 still have the steps

Thanks Anthony and Blaine,

I think I should order a 201 as long as they're still for sale.

And yes the footsteps were welded over, no doubt for health and safety reasons.... But 8208/209 still have the steps

An official interpretation of these facts would be interesting: Are republican irish locodrivers not clever enough to use such steps or act NIR that irresposible towards their employees... ;) I think we will never really know.

Health and safety dictated that those steps had to be plated over on the IE locos for the simple reason it was deemed too"dangerous"for maintenance staff at outlying depots to work on those steps when replacing headlight bulbs or windscreen wipers-a new type of platform is in use now at those depots now to perform any maintenance duties.

Health and safety dictated that those steps had to be plated over on the IE locos for the simple reason it was deemed too"dangerous"for maintenance staff at outlying depots to work on those steps when replacing headlight bulbs or windscreen wipers-a new type of platform is in use now at those depots now to perform any maintenance duties.

Is that the reason the grab irons on the 071s are going with the repaints too Noel or is it down to corrosion (or even something else)?

On a totally different angle re the recessed foot holes on the 201s it was a common occurance to find dead pigeons , crows and all manner of bird life in there . One night in the company of a fitter I found a stunned owl in there.

On a totally different angle re the recessed foot holes on the 201s it was a common occurance to find dead pigeons , crows and all manner of bird life in there . One night in the company of a fitter I found a stunned owl in there.

any chance you got a pic of it?