Flying Snails in Holland...

Rate this topic

Garfield

I wonder where they got it from, and when? CIE adopted it directly from the Dublin United Tramways Company, who had introduced it about 1941. The DUT based the design on the London Underground "bar and circle" device, still used today - possibly one of the longest running corporate identity logos in the world?

I wonder where they got it from, and when? CIE adopted it directly from the Dublin United Tramways Company, who had introduced it about 1941. The DUT based the design on the London Underground "bar and circle" device, still used today - possibly one of the longest running corporate identity logos in the world?

Well JB, if you ask me they should have kept the Flying Snail... it's a timeless design. :)

If they had it in the 1940s, I suppose either the Dutch could have copied it from the DUTC (rather than CIE), but equally the DUTC could have copied it from the Dutch. If the Dutch bus livery turns out to be pre-1941, then the DUTC have directly copied it from the Dutch - thus the original theory about the London Transport origin needs considerable amendment. Could the Dutch have based their design on London, followed by CIE copying it?

Either is possible, but the London Transport theory has wide currency.

If they had it in the 1940s, I suppose either the Dutch could have copied it from the DUTC (rather than CIE), but equally the DUTC could have copied it from the Dutch. If the Dutch bus livery turns out to be pre-1941, then the DUTC have directly copied it from the Dutch - thus the original theory about the London Transport origin needs considerable amendment. Could the Dutch have based their design on London, followed by CIE copying it?

Either is possible, but the London Transport theory has wide currency.

Could Garfield have stumbled upon something here that may see the history books rewritten.

That was the DUTC version of the snail, think 'iomchar' may be a portmanteau of 'iompair' (transport/transit) and 'car' (car/vehicle) there being no ready made word in Irish for 'tram' or 'tramways'.

There were a lot of winged/flying wheels used in Europe (OBB in Austria had a very chunky stylised one) and elsewhere, but the Dutch one is uncannily similar to the Irish 'snail' albeit a bit elongated like the old Lima HO CIE logo.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

My agent has reported and is undertaking further investigations..

I have not seen this logo before in our area of Holland (Rotterdam)

It seems to have only been used in Arnhem by the local transport organisation at that time.

The organisation was the GVA (Gemeentelijk Vervoersbedrijf Arnhem)

But it is very difficult to find more info on this matter

The first trolleybus used in Arnhem was in 1949

There have also been variations on the logo:

As seen on the trolleybus:

img_0986

and a more "Modern" variant:

Gemeente Vervoerbedrijf Arnhem

I will try to find out more later!

Cheers for that, Broithe!

From those links it's apparent that the logo is based on the CIÉ version, and the Dutch enthusiasts even refer to it as a 'Flying Snail'. :)

No problem. He knows what he's doing on rail-related matters - and he can search effectively in Dutch, which may turn up stuff not readily available to us..

That's in Head Hunters in Enniskillen. The paint on all those crests is original railway company stuff. I can vouch for the ancestry of the excellent collection in Head Hunters Railway Museum there, which is well worth a look. That particular "snail" was presented to the original owner by the DUT Co. Thus, the paint is one of the few genuine examples of the exact green used by the DUT - and CIE - until the lighter green came into use in 1955.

My agent is still active in the field..

Hello, me again!

I have been trying very hard to find the original source of the logo.

But its a bit like the chicken and the egg........

All Dutch sources indicate at least that the logo is identical to the one used in Ireland.

The logo was already used before 1949.

During the war almost all trams in Arnhem were distroyed, and they had to start all over.

At this time they decided to change from trams over to trolley buses.

The following video tells the history of the trolley buses in Arnhem (sorry about the language )

At approx. 1:52 you see the logo on the side of a very primitive looking bus.

These (lorry)buses were used just after the war as a stop-gap measure, until the trolley buses could start to run.

These big lorry type buses drove shortly after the war (approx. 1946-1947) until they were replaced by more civilised buses. (As people kept banging their heads on the ceiling when getting on)

These were then at latter replaced by the trolley busses.

The "flying snail" logo was also used on signs, as can be seen on the next photo:

GVA bushalte. Trolleymuseum Arnhem.

(Note the nice "toothed" edge on top of the sign to prevent vandalism)

The little enamel one is a modern replica, I got the tie pin version of this selling at Fry Model Railway souvenir shop.

• 8 months later...