22'6" Container Flat photos and drawings

Rate this question

Mayner

Question

Has anyone a drawing or photograph that shows the framing of these wagons? They are longer in overall length and wheelbase than the standard 20' underframe used under the cement, tank and hopper wagons.

I have a CIE drawing but it does not show the skeletal framing.

John

Lyons Tea wagon.jpg

Lyons Tea wagon.jpg

13 answers to this question

I'm nearly sure this is the longer version, though I could be wrong! The only difference I can see is the additional splayed supports beyond the last line of stanchions. Hope this is of some use. I looked around inchicore on Google Earth and though there appears to be a pair of them in yellow on inchicore parade, the skeleton is different on either end!

Richie

P1120589.jpg

P1120589.jpg

I managed to find some of the photos of the wagons in the loft today, and to be honest they're not any more detailed than the pic that Richie uploaded. They also have the support bars and spigots for the keg cages, so it is difficult to see all the detail of the trusses. We always look for the money shot of the loco, coach, or wagon and we very rarely take shots of the more mundane parts of the vehicle.

Rich,

Hi the frames are basicly the same as the shorter ones ,just a little stretched iso mounting bar depend on use ie ton 20ft iso carry Guinness cages or uniload containers . the frames are aprox 6 inches lower than the earlier build, this led to thebuffer shanks sitting higher than the headstocks again by about 6 inches .

headstock's are a bit different as well.

hope this helps i do have a basic drawing of this skeletal wagon ,will dig it out and stick it up

Edited by waffles
more information

Thanks lads for the drawing and photos.

Waffles drawing was first class though it looks like the CIE draughtsman added in the bracing by eye

I spent the evening preparing the drawing for the main part of the chassis including top of the skeletal framing, solebars axleguards and backing plate for the buffer beam fold up from one piece of brass.

The buffer beams and internal angle iron framing, cosmetic axleguards and various outriggers will be designed to be either glued or soldered to this basic frame.

I am looking at using MJT castings for the axle boxes and buffers, they do a very nice whitemetal roller bearing axle box and heavy duty buffers but I havent come across suitable springs and J hangers which as Rich indicated maay become a bit of a mission.

John

Edited by Mayner