Auto ballast wagons

Rate this topic

Wexford70

Can anyone advise me on the standard composition of the auto ballast wagons?

From what I have seen they seem to be either :

1 powered unit and 5 standard units or

2 powered units (one each end) and 6 standard units.

Is this the case?

Also I believe Marksmodels are hoping to release the standard units separately to complete the sets.

Can anyone advise me on the standard composition of the auto ballast wagons?

From what I have seen they seem to be either :

1 powered unit and 5 standard units or

2 powered units (one each end) and 6 standard units.

Is this the case?

Also I believe Marksmodels are hoping to release the standard units separately to complete the sets.

Good question. 234 was in Waterford West last year and had 2 Genny's and 6 standards in between. I have seen photo's with 1 Genny and 3 Standards. I am sure they have appeared in other formations. It would make sense to release a set of 2 standards to accompany the present 2 pack set of Genny and Standard, of course sales of the present set would dictate if another set were to be commissioned.

HTH

Rich,

From what I see in Marks Models Rathcoole there is still a considerable amount of the original twin-pack to move. That's a lot of money tied up that can't be released to commission a further run. 'Ireland' is a dirty word in the business world at the moment when it comes to securing credit, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were required to pay in full before commissioning begins. It's a big risk for a small business.

I would also suggest that this is Paddy Murphys biggest issues right now, especially with regards to producing a 121 for example. We are a small group (Irish modellers) with a finite budget. The lads like Marks and Murphy Models can only go on current sales to try and predict demand for future releases.

They generally run in a mix 1 + 3 formation. In sets of 8 or 4. An odd 6 wagon set was in use, 2 gennys and 4 standards. The genny units are usually at the ends of the rake. When they were ordered the 24 wagons were to be formed up as an 8, 6 and 4 wagon formation, this didn't go to plan. Using 5 of the 6 genny units, leaving 1 genny and 5 unpowered as spares. Wagons 51001-006 are the genny units, 007-024 are standards.

There are pictures online of a formation at Limerick Junction, I think, with genny units mixed in to the middle of the formation but this was for a stock movement and not in use.

Edited by Railer

The lads like Marks and Murphy Models can only go on current sales to try and predict demand for future releases.

I see your point Dave but if I knew the standards would be available to complete the sets I would invest in two twin packs but without them I would not make sense. As funds are ( very ) tight I would sooner save for a set I can complete.

Thanks for all the info guys.