121 class locomotives

Rate this topic

dave182

Kinda following on from the other post re commisioning releases, I have the following question: is there much difference 'from the waste down' between a 141 and a 121? Are they the same length? Similar bogies? I'm wondering if an MM 141/181 could be used as a decent representation of a 121 should a suitable body solution be made available? (just trying to thing of ways to help MM sell some more stock so that they can commision some more great models!!!)

The 121's are shorter than the 141-181's. There are no air reservoir tanks beneath the chassis like the 141-181 and 071 classes. The bogies are the same flexicoil bogies as the 141-181's but they only have 2 brake cylinders per bogie whereas the 141-181 bogies have 4. You would have to do a bit of butchery on a 141 chassis if you were going to use an MIR 121 body. Having said that if you pulled it off it would look a lot better then a H0 chassis.

Rich,

The new 071 livery is almost a throwback of the 121 as delivered livery looking at that cover pic. Is there any way to get copies of the older IRRS journals? I remember reading one that I found one in college in 2003/4 that covered the then new 2900s is nice detail.

Length 39' 10" for the 121 as against 44' for the 141/181. Outer ends of the bogies were cut short, in line with and slightly back from the axle guards, and - as Rich says - they only had half the brake cylinders - mounted on the inner end of each bogie. I'm not sure what the brake shoes were like, whether it was one per wheel, or a pair on 1 axle of each bogie, but whatever it was they had only half the brake force and had a few runaways. (Nice thread on here about that during the week.)

The IRRS article is good, but the photos aren't great for modelers - there's one reasonable side on shot of B131 when new, but the rest are mostly wedge shots with not too much detail.

I hope that helps.

Alan

Guest hidden-agenda
Guest hidden-agenda
The new 071 livery is almost a throwback of the 121 as delivered livery looking at that cover pic. Is there any way to get copies of the older IRRS journals? I remember reading one that I found one in college in 2003/4 that covered the then new 2900s is nice detail.

Call in to the IRRS http://www.irrs.ie/ you can buy them and if you cant get to the IRRS watch out at exhibitions for a stand selling books and models belong to the Irish steam preservation who operate the railway at Stradbally they have various copies for sale.

As is quite often the case, the discussion has veered some way off the original topic of using a 141 as the basis of a 121.

Stephen

A 121 would be easy enough to produce either as a kit or a one piece body shell the real question is whether it would make commercial sence having to buy and modify a 141 with Paddy's loco at some stage in the future.