Antonov 225 at Shannon.

Rate this topic

Broithe

Some monster?! Is she the same aircraft that gave 201 a lift?

No, that was a mere 124.

antonov_124_1.jpg

The 225 is stretched, widened and has two more engines - and a roof-rack..

2599-antonov-i-n-f-o-r-m-a-t-i-o-n-2-s-h-a-r-e.jpg

There is talk of extending the principle even further...

antonov225faci1.jpg

Edited by Broithe

Would love to see this baby take off in Shannon. Having seen 124s a couple of times and the likes of jumbos and A380s this would be in a different league again. I know there was a second 225 partly built when the Soviet Union broke up and there was talk of finishing it off. Take it it still hasn't happened? Probably never will now.

Would love to see this baby take off in Shannon. Having seen 124s a couple of times and the likes of jumbos and A380s this would be in a different league again. I know there was a second 225 partly built when the Soviet Union broke up and there was talk of finishing it off. Take it it still hasn't happened? Probably never will now.

All the parts existed for the second one, I believe. Just the commercial case for it is pending. Maybe there's been some cannibalisation, though.

Despite the commentary, I'm not sure that runway length would be the issue that selected Shannon, it may have been more to do with parking facilities..

285 tonnes empty, 640 tonnes full - a serious beast.

Giant aircraft have been a bit of a Russian speciality, ever since the world's first four-engined flight by Igor Sikorsky's Ilya Muromets.

0001im11.jpg

..through the An-22 with those monstrous turbo-props..

1343774.jpg

.. and the Tupolev 114 - the largest pre-747 airliner..

tu114.jpg

I haven't seen the commentary as apple haven't deemed flash player necessary on their products but that's a rant for another day.

As for runway length - the AN-124's used to take nearly 5 minutes before rolling to power their engines up enough to get them off the ground, and even then used to use most of the 3200metres, so I can imagine what this monster needs!

Was the Antonov not Ukrainian

Indeed, he was, and the company still is, though it was really a product of the Soviet times. Sikorsky was pre-Soviet Russian. It's all rather complicated, I was just being rather (over) simplistic..

• 1 year later...
I haven't seen the commentary as apple haven't deemed flash player necessary on their products but that's a rant for another day.

As for runway length - the AN-124's used to take nearly 5 minutes before rolling to power their engines up enough to get them off the ground, and even then used to use most of the 3200metres, so I can imagine what this monster needs!

The TO run for Mriya is just under 10,000ft at Max TOW, 9,800, I think. Rwy 24 at SNN is only 9110ft (as I landed there several times in another life), so she could not go FULLY laden. No more than Ruslan due to increased wing area and 6 engines. The landing roll is even longer than the TO requirement if laden

• 2 months later...
Would love to see this baby take off in Shannon.

Fran's gonna have to be quick then…..

Back at Shannon again - http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0412/693592-worlds-largest-aircraft-shannon/ - due to leave around 10pm.

http://entertainment.ie/life/Pics-The-worlds-largest-aircraft-is-in-Shannon-right-now/361228.htm

A little bit of disinformation on this page where it shows a 201 class being unloaded from an "An-225", although you can clearly see the centered tail, the photos is of the Ruslan and not Mriya

Fran's gonna have to be quick then…..

http://entertainment.ie/life/Pics-The-worlds-largest-aircraft-is-in-Shannon-right-now/361228.htm

A little bit of disinformation on this page where it shows a 201 class being unloaded from an "An-225", although you can clearly see the centered tail, the photos is of the Ruslan and not Mriya

Not with the masters on tonight. Sure it'll be back.