airfix Irish aircraft.

Rate this topic

Northman

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7288[/ATTACH]

This newly tooled kit is supplied with two liveries. The main decal scheme is K7985 (L8032/G-AMrk) of the Shuttleworth Collection, Shuttleworth Aerodrome, England, 2012. The secondary scheme is of No.1 Fighter Sqn, Aer Chor na heireann (Irish Air Corps) Baldonnel Aerodrome, Ireland, 1940.

This newly tooled kit is supplied with two liveries. The main decal scheme is K7985 (L8032/G-AMrk) of the Shuttleworth Collection, Shuttleworth Aerodrome, England, 2012. The secondary scheme is of No.1 Fighter Sqn, Aer Chor na heireann (Irish Air Corps) Baldonnel Aerodrome, Ireland, 1940.

Excellent.

A02052-B.jpg

Edited by Broithe

They would make a great model! I heard a story a few years ago about the 3 Gladiators that the air corp had; I was told they were named Faith, Hope and Glory and that all 3 were shot down by a squadron of ME109's! Is there any shred of truth in this or was it a form of Irish propaganda? ;)

They would make a great model! I heard a story a few years ago about the 3 Gladiators that the air corp had; I was told they were named Faith, Hope and Glory and that all 3 were shot down by a squadron of ME109's! Is there any shred of truth in this or was it a form of Irish propaganda? ;)

Possibly some confusion here - Faith, Hope and Charity were the names given to three Gladiators that were part of the initial defence of Malta...

9789993292784.jpg

Thank's Broithe, yes that must have been it! It was a good few years ago when I heard it and it was an English man in a model flying club telling the story so would make a lot more sense!:)

I lived on Malta in the late '50s/early '60s - in fact, you could see my house in that picture, if it wasn't for the smoke from the Sparviero...

• 3 weeks later...

Just got an email from Marks Models saying that they should be having the 1/72 Heller Fouga Magister kit, with transfers for 215, in their shops from today.

https://www.marksmodels.com/?pid=16832#URL:https://www.marksmodels.com/?pid=16832%23

And, with impeccable timing, Magister 216 has just arrived on dislpay at Collins Barracks, for those that want some detail shots...

bLx5cNA.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Great photos, Broithe! Airshows in this country just haven't been the same since the Silver Swallows were disbanded in the '90s. :(

Agreed, miss watching them practice formations from the school classroom and summer afternoons. The only thing I do miss from school!

Agreed, miss watching them practice formations from the school classroom and summer afternoons. The only thing I do miss from school!

I remember being quite surprised when my school report described me as 'enthusiastic' - then I realised that it was simply because I was always at the front of the queue to get into a classroom, but it was only to make sure that I got a window seat..

For several years I had the Red Arrows ( back in the Gnat days ) and their predecessors, the Red Pelicans ( with Jet Provosts ), whistling past the window to keep me occupied whilst some teacher droned on about what they'd droned on about yesterday, too....

anyone that got a window seat in my old school was sure to get a belt of the old wooden backed duster on the head if you even thought about looking out .......what made it so difficult (i wont say hard) was that there was the girls school right accross the canal - torcher on a hot day, but worth the pain!!

Spent some years in Collins Barracks back in the day

These pics are bringing back some great memories

A Company lines. Support Coy, HQ Coy, Signals Stores (CQMS Woodcock) Fire Picket in the corner,

The arch out to the Handball alley where all problems were sorted, we could do with a virtual handball alley here!

Cheers Broite, must drop down some day and check it out!

Cheers Broithe, must drop down some day and check it out!

My agent is based there for the time being and suggests that it's worth a visit.

He does, however, speak very highly of the Curragh Museum, but warns that you ought to check before travelling, as its opening hours can be a bit hit-and-miss.

My agent is based there for the time being and suggests that it's worth a visit.

He does, however, speak very highly of the Curragh Museum, but warns that you ought to check before travelling, as its opening hours can be a bit hit-and-miss.

they have freshly painted tanks outside - a churchill and a comet - well worth a look!