ESU LokSound V4 for MM Class 201 & 071

Rate this topic

as365n4

Hi Folks,

just after getting my first MM Class 201 Loco (MM8208 ;) ) and some difficulties with Bachmanns new 36-557 DCC Decoder (bloody thing isn't working with a Hornby Select Controller) I finally bought the custom MM DCC Decoder. So far so good, except for the not working Cabin Lighting. :)

But after reading

We also hope to have a DCC sound chip available in the near future.
on the MM website and some unsuccessfully web research.

I stumbled across =0&tx_esudecoderprojects_pi1[filterCountry]=IE&tx_esudecoderprojects_pi1[sorting]=dateD"]ESU - Electronic Solutions Ulm GmbH & Co. KG- LokSound V4.0 "OEM" this entry on the ESU website. LokSound V4 DCC Decoder for the Class 201 and 071, woohoo, but I wasn't able to find a retailer for these "OEM" Chips. :(

Especially here in the UK it seems that nobody is selling this stuff.

I know that a Shop in Belfast lists Sound Decoder for the Class 201 and so on, but these Chips seem to be based on the "old" LokSound V3 Standard.

That's why I came here and ask you guys, maybe you can shed some light in this matter.

Is MM selling these "OEM" Chips in the not so near future through the normal retail channels or is it just a bubble waiting to burst?

Cheers

:)

Edited by as365n4

Surfing arround on the internet I also stubled across the ESU offer. On their home page you can have a hearing sample. They indeed seem to offer these chips for 071 and 201 class. I did not have a chance to do any further research; here in Germany and especially as ESU is no 200 km away from me it should not be a big issue to get these chips. Alas, I will not be able to get into this matter before July.

In November a friend of mine and I ordered some chips from modelshop Belfast and thus I can assure you its another thing as the chips from msb are made by Zimo, an austrian manufacturer. On this site the sonds projects can be downloaded:

http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/sounds/generation-4/loksound-v40-oem/

scroll down a bit to the irish locos.

As far as I understand you need to have a "Lokprogrammer" which is a device that allows to put the downloaded soundproject onto an immaculate ESU Loksound 4.0 chip. The sound projects are free downloadable if you agree to the license agreement. On the right hand side of the site if you click "Bulletin" some notes can be found what function will allow which sound. Perhaps I can find someone here who has got such a Lokprogrammer but as I wrote before: not before July and not sure.

Yes I have the 201 sound from esu on a Loksound v4 chip.

Only just downloaded it last Friday and blow it on to a v4 chip.

Tried it in a class 66 chassis and it worked OK.

Not tried it in a 201 or 071 yet but will try tomorrow if I get 5 minutes.

May be video time again.

Wiggy.

Murphy Models sound chip will be available soon.

I know it's too much to ask, but when is soon?

Hopefully sometime this year.

On the ESU website is says Part.No.: 97455 for the Class 201 and Part.No.: 97431 for the Class 071 (Manufacturer: Murphy Models) but as mentioned regarding the "reblow" service does the sound file work on any ESU DCC Decoder?

But to be honest, I prefer a shiny package with the Chip inside ready to go, like the existing MM one for the 201. Instead of sending a file to a 3rd party and get a chip modified elsewhere.

You know just to be sure, the right sound comes out of the loco. ;)

As promised video of the Loksound MM 201 sounds.

Not sure if this is the one MM is going to use but it needs some tweaking.

Down loaded of the ESU website and loaded on to a Loksound v4 chip

I've videoed the sounds with out the engine running to start with.

Some of the function sounds do not work and the head light only works on one end, the other end the head light stays on with the side markers.

The start up and notching is good but you need to make your own minds up.

Enjoy,

Wiggy.

I guess the 201 and 071/111 have the board and speaker all ready, so it's drop and go with the sound chip.

The 141/181s require surgery.

Well actually all that's needed on the 141/181's is to solder the connections for the speaker, it's not a huge job. I found the hardest part was getting the bloody body off!

As promised video of the Loksound MM 201 sounds.

Not sure if this is the one MM is going to use but it needs some tweaking.

Down loaded of the ESU website and loaded on to a Loksound v4 chip

I've videoed the sounds with out the engine running to start with.

Some of the function sounds do not work and the head light only works on one end, the other end the head light stays on with the side markers.

The start up and notching is good but you need to make your own minds up.

Enjoy,

Wiggy.

Sounds great Wiggy :tumbsup:

Yeah, but a 4 ohm bass enhanced speaker will fit without any surgery.

back a few years DCC supplies were the only ones selling the irish sound decoders

on version 3.5 and from what I remember these take a 8 ohm speakers from which

i installed one into 177.However i think the 4 ohm bass reflex out now is slimmer.

MM website has a link to the instalment of decoder and speaker in Modelrail in 2009.

http://www.murphymodels.com/files/Class_141_Sound_DCC_MR130_058-061.pdf

I rememer reading that article when I was thinking about installing sound in my 141's. I did'nt fancy having to fettle any of the loco's innards to get a speaker to fit.

Gareth in Model Shop Belfast recommended this speaker: http://modelshopbelfast.com/index.php/railways/irish-and-local/4-ohm-bass-enhanced-speaker.html

If you remove the back of the plastic casing (which DOES NOT affect the sound in any way) the speaker will fit perfecly under the roof grill on the 141.

If you remove the back of the plastic casing (which DOES NOT affect the sound in any way)

When a speaker is in a sealed enclosure removing any part of that enclosure or simply drilling a hole in it will affect the sound not always for the bad but not always for the good. This applies to all speakers from something as small as a couple of centimetres to a rock concert speaker which a lot of the time have what's called a horn enclosure.

The bass reflex speakers are enclosure designed where as the speakers in the 201/071 are free air. Removing the back from the enclosure could in time damage the speaker.

Sounds to me like a 071.

M.

You know something you are absolutely right.:tumbsup:

What a dick, I down loaded both sounds and thought I had loaded the 201 sound where in fact I loaded the 071 sound by mistake. :SORRY:

Well spotted.

Ho well s**t happens.

Yes it is a 071.

I'll reload the 201 sound on to the chip this week and revideo.

Thats why the functions where wrong.

:SORRY::SORRY::SORRY:

Could be worse.

Wiggy.

When a speaker is in a sealed enclosure removing any part of that enclosure or simply drilling a hole in it will affect the sound not always for the bad but not always for the good. This applies to all speakers from something as small as a couple of centimetres to a rock concert speaker which a lot of the time have what's called a horn enclosure.

The bass reflex speakers are enclosure designed where as the speakers in the 201/071 are free air. Removing the back from the enclosure could in time damage the speaker.

Yes, removing the back can alter the sound, that's why most guitar amps have an opening at the back. But I noticed no difference when testing the speaker with and without the back.

In fact I was careful to place the speaker face up under the roof grill with the metal chassis of the loco forming a box around the back of the speaker which DID improve the sound.

I reviewed the ESU website 071/201 sounds and they appear to be different to those recorded previously for MSBelfast/Mr Soundguy. I personally prefer the original versions which sound best from a Bass Reflex speaker (not overly difficult to fit to MM 071 if allowed to intrude into the cab space -I did a lot of filing on the speaker without breaching its integrity). Capturing the full roar of an 071 at notch 8 is a challenge for the soundchip technology but the GM revs ticking over or rising/falling capture the prototype pretty well I think. The horn, brake and flange squeal add to the authenticity.