071's around Waterford 2008 to 2012

Rate this topic

It seems like an eternity since there were any cement wagons there, the bogies were always a nice treat when they were in the yard. One of the lines at the flour mills has been lifted also since those pics were taken. Waterford East is a real ghost town area now. The Ard Ri has been boarded up for years, the only time there is any sign of life is when the Tall ships are here. That is one area that would have made an impressive layout, the ships at the dock, the cranes and of course the railway.

Rich,

Rich,

September 2009 was were they were scrapping the mk3's, the cement didn t have left to run, 141 was shunting and 3 071's in the yard.

june 2009 was when the pic by the flour mills was taken, used to love taking pics from the overbridge or by the level crossing. It was probably the last scorching summer day we ve had since temp's in the 30's, soon after the pic was taken it was off to Bunmahon with the good lady.

At the time there was 4 wheel timber, 42ft flats on the inside line waiting for the cutters torch. I have pics of the last of them before the cutter got at them!!. Caught 124 and 134 on there last run in the Waterford area a little further up towards the station. I ve pics of them unloading rail using the crane directly onto an A class pulled rail train in 1993. And sadly the last Rosslare train from Waterford more recently.

It still amazes my that there is a low mac wagon under the canopy in the yard, how its survived this long is beyond me.

As for a layout it would be sweet, especially in the steam era when all the facilites were in full use, along with the DSER shed, New Ross and Rosslare line.:drool:

You have some good shots there. If you have any showing the cement silo or the shed in Waterford Yard, or indeed any liner trains in the yard, I wouldn't mind seeing them. I remember being in the yard taking photos mid 90s when the yard was a hive of activity with beet, cement and liners. Good days....

Rich,

September 2009 was were they were scrapping the mk3's, the cement didn t have left to run, 141 was shunting and 3 071's in the yard.

june 2009 was when the pic by the flour mills was taken, used to love taking pics from the overbridge or by the level crossing. It was probably the last scorching summer day we ve had since temp's in the 30's, soon after the pic was taken it was off to Bunmahon with the good lady.

At the time there was 4 wheel timber, 42ft flats on the inside line waiting for the cutters torch. I have pics of the last of them before the cutter got at them!!. Caught 124 and 134 on there last run in the Waterford area a little further up towards the station. I ve pics of them unloading rail using the crane directly onto an A class pulled rail train in 1993. And sadly the last Rosslare train from Waterford more recently.

It still amazes my that there is a low mac wagon under the canopy in the yard, how its survived this long is beyond me.

As for a layout it would be sweet, especially in the steam era when all the facilites were in full use, along with the DSER shed, New Ross and Rosslare line.:drool:

Tom I spent the first three years of my life living in Sion Row. The folks kept in contact with the old neighbours for many years. I think the Gray's and Flynn's are still living there.

I had uncles and cousins working out of Waterford, I got many a spin in a loco and that's where I fell in love with the 121's and babies. It's hard to believe that were once three stations in Waterford City. We'll have to meet up for a walk or photo session some day Tom when we have time. The lowmac has been there for ages I always look out for it when I am over in the yard. I need to get over there soon for some pics of timbers and 201 underframe detail. I must take some more pics of the MK111's before they succumb to the cutters torch.

Rich,

Im an Abbey Park kid originally!!!!. My mother used to walk with me in the buggy past sion row every day on her way out to Johns park to drop me to the babysitters, maybe it was the sounds of the hussle and bustle of the locos going past that led me into this hobby!!!

No prob Rich i m working in town again so have a lot more time.

201 underframe

081 rpsi railtour.JPG

mk 3 detail.jpg

202.jpg

That is one area that would have made an impressive layout, the ships at the dock, the cranes and of course the railway.

Rich,

I always thought Belview port would make a nice layout, although you'd need a lot of space! The huge cranes that span the tracks and water would dominate the layout, very impressive!

I always thought Belview port would make a nice layout, although you'd need a lot of space! The huge cranes that span the tracks and water would dominate the layout, very impressive!

True Vincent. The North Quays part of the docks in Waterford and the old Bell container terminal were very impressive also. However it would make the model very era specific. Eugene Nolans model of Plunkett and Waterford West is a magnificent layout and even some of the Suir is modelled also.

Rich,

Very well said GM. Cracking photos lads.

I agree Richie. Maybe uncle Des could produce a transfer set for her including the patches that replace the cab front IE logos. You could then let the weathering materials loose. If there is a deal there is a Weshty, that's the man's motto, and he always delivers.

Rich,

True Vincent. The North Quays part of the docks in Waterford and the old Bell container terminal were very impressive also. However it would make the model very era specific. Eugene Nolans model of Plunkett and Waterford West is a magnificent layout and even some of the Suir is modelled also.

Rich,

Any pics of the Bell terminal? Before my time I think!

I haven't been in Abbey Park for a long time Tom. The last time I was over that way I was playing a match in the Clover Centre. There's a huge difference in the area now compared to 10 years ago. It used to be a lovely walk from that neck of the wood's. Pass the Bus Garage and the old container terminal. The flour mill's and Sion Row. Then the Station. If that didn't stir you interests nothing would. I have vague memories of the old Station building and it was a sin to pull it down and replace it with the eyesore that is Plunkett today. Could you imagine what the whole area would look like now if the backside hadn't fallen out of the building trade, and the recession. I remember a model of the proposed development was in the tax office reception for a few months in the early 2000's.

Rich,

God know's where they are now Vincent. There is a small bit of footage on one of the Markle production's. It was an impressive place. The next time I am in my Fathers house I will have a dig around.

Rich,

Very few around, found a few on here,

http://www.irishships.com/bell_lines.html.

The tracks leading to the port were only lifted in the last few years during the track ratiónalisation work, although track is still in situ within the complex along with the gantry tracks and partially demolished buffers, they joined the Rosslare line just east of abbey junction next to the old Church of Ireland on Abbey Rd, the old semaphore poles are still there.

• 1 month later...