Light engine 201 Belfast

Rate this topic

Any idea how it started ?

Excessive HEP use. 206 burst into flames almost 10 years ago working the Enterprise, the loco was almost a write off and spent about 18 months being rebuilt and re wired.

The 201s were not designed for HEP and GM recommended against it but IE wanted it.

208 and 231 failed in the last week too. As soon as the EGVs are returned to service the better. 230 won't be working trains for a long time.

Id be more worried if it had scorch marks over the windows. Hopefully the structural frame hasn t been compramised with the heat cause if it has shes a goner. Practically everything else could be repaired or replaced IF theres enough finance and more importantly the will to put her back in service, which I hope they do.

If the damage is bad I would say she will end up on the scrapheap getting cannibalised to keep the rest of them going. Bring back the 071's/Mk3's on the enterprise twice the age of the 201's and twice the loco. Its just a shame it wasn't a railcar that went up in smoke.
By the looks of things Anthony your wish has been granted http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2032-Dunmurry-train-fire-Second-blaze-within-hours

If the damage is bad I would say she will end up on the scrapheap getting cannibalised to keep the rest of them going. Bring back the 071's/Mk3's on the enterprise twice the age of the 201's and twice the loco. Its just a shame it wasn't a railcar that went up in smoke.

Now Anthony do I detect a hint that you don't like

plastic railcars?.

Hopefully she ll be back, hopefully this incident will lead to the re introduction of the egv and stop the high hep hours that the 201' s are suffering from.

Irish Rail said on Facebook that the MK3 EGVs will return to service this month. But this was over a month ago and before this incident.