Amiens Street Terminus

Rate this topic

Admin

I promise to invest in a tripod before I get scenics done!

If you're shooting with your smart phone, this is handy and costs peanuts: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-Tripod-Stand-Mount-Holder-Apple-iPhone-4S-4G-3G-iPod-Touch-4-Black-/170872048524?pt=UK_Holders_Mounts&hash=item27c8c48b8c

And finally, 187 pulls the autoballasters...

Hope they lay ballast better than the real ones do at the moment!

The layouts looking excellent! How many mk3s can you fit into the two longest platforms with a 201/071?

Platform 1 (closest to the edge) is 6.5 feet long. Platforms 2, 3, 4 and 5 are all just over 9 feet.

I can fit a 201 and 8 mkIIIs with room to spare.

Edited by BosKonay

I have one and it works very nicely. I use the bracket with a gorillapod adjustable tripod, great little tripod that can wrap around things and is infinitely adjustable http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000EVSLRO/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pd_ys_iyr5

I'll actually be picking up a few bits and pieces, plus extra apps, for iPhone filming, as I use the phone for some of my work now. It's handier than lugging a camera around all the time. I know of at least one TV news reporter who's produced news packages using an iPhone and the results are amazing...

Will do my best tho am away from the layout for z bit!

At the moment I've three rakes of green ic livery mark '4's and three of orange mkiii as well as two rakes of Lima originals and executive livery coaches.

Stock hasn't really been to the forefront so far. Once the layout gets to a reasonable stage I can focus on the rolling stock, weathering, detailing etc.

Stephen how do you find a full rake of 8 mk3's looks on the layout scale wise. I find 7 looks better on my layout for some reason it just looks more pleasing to the eye.

I think I would tend to agree there. The big Irish stations will normally have a bit of room to spare so I think it looks more realistic.

• 1 month later...

Right! The summers over, the holidays done, the kids back at school and SWMBO likewise!

Work can re-commence on Amiens Street!

Not much has changed over the summer, other than the stock was cleared off the layout and a bit of a tidy was done. I'm hoping to clear the shed, so I can clear the rest of the attic in the coming week-10 days. This will let me remove the stock boxes to the storage end of the attic and allow me to commence building the rest of the mainline loop and branches.

There have been a few trackplan tweaks over the summer, which I'll draw up and post shortly, I'm also contemplating swapping the original freight sidings and the coach sidings around. The freight sidings are between 6-6.5ft long, which is ample for most trains (happily take 6mkIIIs and maybe an EGV) but tight for freight (10 pocket wagons = no no). By swapping around I get three sidings that can near enough take full rakes, that have access to all platforms, and three 9.5 foot long freight sidings that wont give out about taking 10 container flats, pocket wagons, or whatever. The only trade off is that the pilot would need to shunt all freight rakes into platform 6 and be released by the loco taking the freight.... not entirely sure how prototypical that is :)

Will post pics later today of what the carriage sheds look like alongside the SHED!

The latest 'tweaks'

Most notable are

- freight and carriage sidings are swapped about

- the mainline now passes through the wall and will be carried on a stout 2x6 over the stairwell :)

- On the right hand side, there is an incline, taking a single line branch under the terminus boards where I will hopefully fit 6 15 foot storage roads

- Also on the right, is a return loop, allowing trains to loop around and re-enter the terminus engine first if needed

Am a bit out of ideas on the bottom left, so ignore the grey track there :)

Amiens-Final-Sept2012.png

Amiens-Final-Sept2012.png

Oh, and I added a small branch off the reverse loop, with a little dock :)

I love the look of the scale scenes dockside, so two little 4 foot sidings here will let fuel oil arrive by boat :)

Also, on the left, the cement terminal lines, will be about 1 inch lower than the running lines and through station behind, to create more of a scenic break...

Plan is to have a through station bottom left up high on the mainline. Full length rakes can stop with the rearmost carriages still in the tunnel :)

I might also devise a 2700 shuttle service to the docks :)

Open to suggestions at the moment.... One thought is to change the light green incline for a helix...