GNR locos in CIE ownership - question

Rate this question

minister_for_hardship

Question

4 answers to this question

Just a few examples come to mind, after 1958 some of the locomotives that passed to CIE found themselves working suburban trains on the DSE line to Bray, examples being S and U Class, such as No.199 captured by O'Dea at Carlisle Pier.

A few acted as pilot engines in Kingsbridge, and ventured to Portlaoise on run-in trips, based either in Inchicore or Broadstone. Workings from Kingscourt afforded some locomotives to travel via the MGWR's Meath Road to Dublin also.

The few that did railtours ended up in unusual locations, such as U No.197 running to Mountmellick and Castlecomer/Wolfhill, Q No. 132 to Athlone via Moate (Kingscourt as well on an earlier trip), and VS No.207 and S No.174 to Cork. No.199 itself did a tour to Wicklow Murrough.

There could have been others but these are some I thought, very interesting topic :)

Edited by Eiretrains

There was at least one ex GN 0.6.0 seen around Portarlington / Port Laoise at one stage. I think it was on a ballast train or something like that, but I'm not sure where I got the info from.

GNR rolling stock travelled far and wide. An AEC set was pictured in Wexford with one car still in navy and cream. One coach ended up in West Cork for a very short time, thus travelling as far as was physically possible from home. Wagons went everywhere. I saw GNR wagons in Templemore and Tralee in 1976, eighteen years after the GN had ceased to be.