UP6936's workbench

Rate this topic

UP6936

I got some of the humbrol weathering powders recently, so i have been having a go at dirtying up a TTA tanker and a Class 25.

Before i apply the powders, i treat the area with a wash of MattCote and enamel thinners to make the dry-brushed powder stay better. I don't use this method on large areas such as roofs or bodysides hoever, as it could make it too wet-paint looking, in my opinion.

I have put a good few pictures of each item up so as to get a good view of the finish. apologies for the strange lighting in the pictures of the tanker, my railway room has very bad lighting, but i learned my lesson and photographed the 25 in the kitchen (where i was doing the work).

i am awaiting the arrival of some satin spray varnish to seal the powders fully

040.jpg

039.jpg

038.jpg

037.jpg

036.jpg

034.jpg

033.jpg

032.jpg

Yep the 25 is a hornby model. I own two of them and they are both quite old and were bought fairly cheap so I thought it would be good to start with. I think it looks a lot better with a coat of weathering, it doesn't look bad next to my 111s anymore

Yep the 25 is a hornby model. I own two of them and they are both quite old and were bought fairly cheap so I thought it would be good to start with. I think it looks a lot better with a coat of weathering, it doesn't look bad next to my 111s anymore

Some of the more hardcore British outline modellers say it's a better model than the newer Bachmann one for body accuracy, especially the cab area...

Nice job on the weathering!

• 4 months later...

some more weathering pictures, this time a US outline boxcar. I bought these cars as a lot of 4 kits on ebay a while back, and they looked a little bland so i decided to weather them.

1 of them donated its chassis to my home made track cleaning wagon, and has been modelled as an old car in use as a shed. the car pictured is a running one, and i still have 2 to do

boxcar 3.jpg

boxcar 2.jpg

boxcar 1.jpg

• 6 months later...