MK3 Scrapping

Rate this topic

Killucan2

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cork stock is the worst of all. I prefer the ICRs to them!

I haven't been on the Cork stock yet Fran. When you get a day off we could maybe rectify that :-bd

Might be a bad idea for the two of us to sit in the bar the whole way there and back as it could become a big challenge to make it to the end of the platform upon return to Dublin =)):cheers:

I haven't been on the Cork stock yet Fran. When you get a day off we could maybe rectify that :-bd

Might be a bad idea for the two of us to sit in the bar the whole way there and back as it could become a big challenge to make it to the end of the platform upon return to Dublin =)):cheers:

Ha, yep maybe next couple of weeks hit Kildare/Portarlington. Need to hunt down a grey 071 finally....

It's a shame that the IE Mk3 fleet will be scrapped,

I travelled from Norwich to London on Sunday evening in a Mk3 coach behind 90011 and what a run to Liverpool street station with 110 mph operation being reached on several occasions,

I think IE should have refurbished the Mk3 fleet to get at least another 20 years out of them-no comment needed about Mk4s or ICRs....

image-1091948489.jpg

A classic coach

image-1624521563.jpg

First class-reminded me of the Citygold coaches.

image-2153977163.jpg

90011 at the blocks at Liverpool street station after a superb run from Norwich with a classic train in tow.

There is clearly no truth in the oft-trotted-out official line here that the Irish Mk 3's were clapped out.... They would be FAR better (refurbished, of course) with well-maintained 201s and possibly PP working, than the "flying frogs" on the Cork line and the DD's on the Belfast line.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hidden-agenda

Im surprised they have not been cut up by now they have lay about for long enough compared to the mk2s.

They might look modern now, but in 20 years they'd be a stunning preserved rake... behind an 071 perhaps!

I agree Stephen, an 071 in Black and Tan (even though they never carried that Livery) and the coaches in the same livery as the original Cravens, mouth watering.

Rich,

Always preferred the MK2's over the MK3's but the MK3's were great all the same and very comfortable. The MK4 things just don't compare.

Its endemic, in the wider scale, of this country's incessant wastage, greed and failure. People will always say progress has to be made and the old must go out for the new but when the new is this much inferior, and costly, then I think this is far much more than rose-tinged nostalgia.

• 3 months later...

According to this month's Rail Express magazine one of the Mark III Executive Coaches has been used for test painting a number of schemes including two tone green on one side and one shade of green on the other with the bogies picked out in grey and the doors in white or silver. Sounds a mess but I wonder what the schemes will be used for? Cork stock? Enterprise?

Doubt that, Richie... I'd say it'll be used to test out new livery varations and then put back on the scrapline.

That's just toying with us. Would have thought its cheaper and easier to do some graphic design and photoshop than crack out the sheets of masking roll and paintbrushes. Me smells a big mouse here.

That's just toying with us. Would have thought its cheaper and easier to do some graphic design and photoshop than crack out the sheets of masking roll and paintbrushes. Me smells a big mouse here.

You should drop them a line and offer them your services! :)

They did this before back in the '90s when they painted an A class in a variation of the livery the 201s first carried...