Hidden agendas work bench.

Rate this topic

Guest hidden-agenda

Guest hidden-agenda

I thought it was about time i shared some pics of two wagons i am building a shale wagon and a shale converted to a Tara mines wagon. Related by design as one is a re-use of the other. These are not for sale and will be part of my own growing collection.WP_000259.jpg

I hope the pics inspire others to scratch build and i look forward to questions comments and advice on any improvements i can make before i finish them.

WP_000258.jpg

WP_000257.jpg

WP_000256.jpg

WP_000198.jpg

WP_000196.jpg

WP_000192.jpg

WP_000191.jpg

WP_000190.jpg

WP_000178.jpg

WP_000175.jpg

WP_000172.jpg

Edited by hidden-agenda

Superb piece of scratchbuilding,I can only admire the time and patience that has been put into such a work,but the unfinished shots are testimony to the hard work already put in and the completed build will be well worth waiting to see.If you have any more 'hidden' (sorry) gems out there,it would be great to see them.

Guest hidden-agenda

Many thanks for the compliments and encouragement. The white metal components i had specially made and at present are not available but who knows what may happen in the future. Below are some pics i have of previous builds and some long finger projects.

The 60 foot panel wagon.WP_000293.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

Some pics of two PWD brake vans.I scratch built these and the painting and decals were the work of Anthony.

photo 4 (4).JPG

Below is a cement bubble master i have made for moulding.

WP_000289.jpg

A question for those interested in scratch building? if you could choose a wagon for me to build that i could do as a tutorial so that any body interested could join in and do their own build would there be any interest?

WP_000292.jpg

050820121248.jpg

050820121247.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

IMG_2646.jpg

Edited by hidden-agenda

A question for those interested in scratch building? if you could choose a wagon for me to build that i could do as a tutorial so that any body interested could join in and do their own build would there be any interest?

I think a response to that question will be a massive yes,but I think the suggestions will be numerous and various.What are you thinking of in the way of a scratch build wagon,everything from scratch including the chassis,or a wagon build that can use an existing rtr chassis?Either way,I think a corrugated open wagon or a fertilizer wagon would be good wagons for those people that have never tried anything like this before and help them to gain their confidence on.

Great idea,I hope something happens with it and I look forward to following the thread with interest and getting involved also.

Guest hidden-agenda
I think a response to that question will be a massive yes,but I think the suggestions will be numerous and various.What are you thinking of in the way of a scratch build wagon,everything from scratch including the chassis,or a wagon build that can use an existing rtr chassis?Either way,I think a corrugated open wagon or a fertilizer wagon would be good wagons for those people that have never tried anything like this before and help them to gain their confidence on.

Great idea,I hope something happens with it and I look forward to following the thread with interest and getting involved also.

The suggestion for this was from Anthony and i did not really think any one would be interested but let this run and keep the suggestions coming in and we can then discuss the options and come up with a plan to take it forward.

Where do you start? Flats, Timber, Fertilizer wagons, Bubbles & Beets would be my list but I suppose the sensible thing to do would be to start with the most simple construction to get as many people involved and expand to more involved builds.

Guest hidden-agenda
Hell yeah, that shale would be class build to do, i ll even throw in a how to on the tara.

Would there be any chance of the whitemetal parts especially the bogies been made available?

Riversuir by all means a how to thread on the Tara is a good idea but do this on your work bench as i will be talking to the site owner during the week about a new area for what i have in mind.

Unfortunately the white metal question is a no as i cant get the bits at the minute but wait and see what manufacturers are going to do as they may make stuff available as scratch build aids.

Riversuir by all means a how to thread on the Tara is a good idea but do this on your work bench as i will be talking to the site owner during the week about a new area for what i have in mind.

Unfortunately the white metal question is a no as i cant get the bits at the minute but wait and see what manufacturers are going to do as they may make stuff available as scratch build aids.

hmmm i already said that in my own thread 4 weeks ago

"Thanks Richie, i ll be doing two more after this batch of 6 is finished and i ll do a full how to on these"

Guest hidden-agenda
Where do you start? Flats, Timber, Fertilizer wagons, Bubbles & Beets would be my list but I suppose the sensible thing to do would be to start with the most simple construction to get as many people involved and expand to more involved builds.

I take on board what every one has said and to be realistic its probably fair to say at this stage we start with something that is simple as Kieran has pointed out but a wagon that has a certain amount of detail and take it a stage further for the second project. It would be unrealistic to throw a large wagon at every one especially as sourcing major components like bogies would be a head ache and it could put some guys off who want to start scratch building plus as mentioned on the site else where SSM is releasing bogie flat wagons that would make life easier for every one who could then just make bodies to sit on them if they wanted. Im suggesting the 4 wheel ballast wagon as a starter as its still around ( to the best of my knowledge ) and then move to the PWD brake van as the second project. This would give every one who takes part a complete train that has ran with most of the diesel fleet and would,nt look out of place on most lay-outs. I hope this does,nt disappoint any one but i have to allow for starters as well as guys who have experience. I will talk to the site owner in due course to ask for an area to start this and i can get on with sourcing materials pictures etc and take it from there and hopefully more guys will get involved and we can see how it goes.

Regards Gareth.

Edited by hidden-agenda

Guest hidden-agenda
http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2118-New-Sub-Forum?p=31758#post31758 Boskonay has put this in place for us so i am already sorting plans materials chassis,s etc so it would help if i had an idea of how many intend taking part so please feel free to add your name on the above thread and i look forward to working with any one interested.

Lovely work on the Tara's. Well impressed with your work to date:tumbsup: Looking forward to seeing what you come up with on the scratch-building thread. Good idea about doing the ballast rake & plough van. Has a bit of variety in it, and a builder can make it as big or as small as they like and still have a convincing looking train. Keep up the good work.

Tom.

Guest hidden-agenda
Lovely work on the Tara's. Well impressed with your work to date:tumbsup: Looking forward to seeing what you come up with on the scratch-building thread. Good idea about doing the ballast rake & plough van. Has a bit of variety in it, and a builder can make it as big or as small as they like and still have a convincing looking train. Keep up the good work.

Tom.

Tom its going to be a tutorial so join in its for every one to enjoy. As you have pointed out a modeller can build as few or as many as they want and its going to educate me as i will hopefully pick up some tips from other modellers and vice versa of of course. I look forward to your company on the new thread.

Regards Gareth.

Edited by hidden-agenda

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...