Rate this question

RedRich

Question

I am currently sorting through my photo collection. I am hoping someone would know roughly when 085 was overhauled and received the Freight Livery. Photos in my collection show her in the IE Orange Livery in 2005. I can't find any of her in that livery any later. A lot of my collection is on the desk top and it suffered a disk boot failure a while back. I am hoping some can be saved and uploaded to an external hard drive.

TIA

Rich,

11 answers to this question

Tom I have seen a few pics of 086 in Inchicore around 06 and she looks to have been recently painted. To be honest the Babies and the 121's have always been my favourite locos. I can vaguely remember the 3 classes in the Black and Tan livery. I am acquiring a renewed love of the 071's due to the models. It must have something to do with the novelty of having all these fantastic models. The more I look at 077 the more I love it.

Rich,

Tom I have seen a few pics of 086 in Inchicore around 06 and she looks to have been recently painted. To be honest the Babies and the 121's have always been my favourite locos. I can vaguely remember the 3 classes in the Black and Tan livery. I am acquiring a renewed love of the 071's due to the models. It must have something to do with the novelty of having all these fantastic models. The more I look at 077 the more I love it.

Rich,

Oh, don t i know that feeling it stared with "ah, i ll get one or two" now i have 5 with another 3 on order:facepalm: man its like the baby gm's all over again.

Is it hard to remove the numbers from Murphys 071's and what do you use to remove them??

From my own experience with the baby GM's and I say this because they are manufactured at the same factory as the 071's, a cocktail stick and some T-Cut, white spirit on a cotton bud (q tip), a curved scalpel blade and gently scrape towards the printed number, be careful though as you won't want to eat into the paint finish and cause scratches. I have tried them all, and had good results. The curved blade takes time and a steady hand as I have said. The white spirit will leave a glossy effect after the numbers have been removed and this ideal for when you apply your new decals.. The T-Cut and cocktail stick takes time and patience but you get there in the end. One bit of advice I will say is to use Microsol on the area where the decal is to be applied, and brush on some Microset after the decal has dried, it will help remove the carrier film from the decal. Make sure that you use some kitchen towel to remove any water from beneath the decal or you could get air being trapped beneath it. You can then give the finished model a touch of varnish to seal the decal in.

If you have an old model have a go and see what suits you, just be careful and you will be fine. With the arrival of DCC and DCC sound it seems as though the renumbering of models has taken a back seat in how we change our models from out of the box items, but it does give the model it's own uniqueness. Have a go and let us know how you get on.

Best of luck,

Rich,

Oh, don t i know that feeling it stared with "ah, i ll get one or two" now i have 5 with another 3 on order:facepalm: man its like the baby gm's all over again.

Tom I was out looking at fitted kitchens and tiles with the good lady the other day and all I was thinking of was how many more 071's I could get with the cash.

Rich,

Tom I was out looking at fitted kitchens and tiles with the good lady the other day and all I was thinking of was how many more 071's I could get with the cash.

Rich,

Rich,

Just goes to show you're thinking clearly and with focus. Carry on.

Regards

Weshty

Rich,

Just goes to show you're thinking clearly and with focus. Carry on.

Regards

Weshty

Spot on Des, I was multi tasking. Telling her that one would be a change from shaker beach, those tiles would match, while I was thinking of 084 and 087.

Rich,