Irish railway memorabilia

Rate this topic

heirflick

hi lads - it never ceases to amaze me , that no matter where you go on this planit of ours , irish railway hstory always hits you in the face! just came back with my family from 'the algarve'. first night was spent (as you do) looking for an irish pub.....landed 10 minutes from our apartments in a place called Potomio and found this little gem of a pub called 'Irelands Eye' worst thing we ever did - never left the fecking place for the week!!! the thing that hit me was the history on the wall ... then cane the coup de grace - an arrival / departure notice board from limerick station from the steam era!..you couldn't shift me after this!........

MICKY.png

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fake, you often find 'distressed' reproduction items in Paddywhackery pubs since supplies of the genuine article dried up.

Font looks far too modern....Also: there hasn't been trains to Kinsale since the mid 30's, pretty unlikely a real destination board would retain such a long closed location, since when was there ever a direct Kinsale-Limerick and Baltimore-Limerick service and where the hell is 'Lough Hee'???? The tricolour border in the circular thing on top is a tad too convenient and Oirish for my liking as is the encirling text 'National Line Of Railway' sounds like it was manufactured in Beijing rather than Inchicore!

Came across stained glass panels inset into timberwork with 'GSR' and CIE broken wheel logos in Perth (WA) once, with text in mis-spelt Irish decorating the walls. Sure as sugar they didn't come from the Emerald Isle.

One place you will get some real articles is in the Pub in Fitzpatrick's Hotel in Manhattan...incl a brass nameplate off a loco named at the Inchicore 150th, the other ones sprouted legs and walked as they were stuck on with resin instead of being rivetted on!

Edited by minister_for_hardship

Check out this crowd

Do loads of Oirish stuff for our friends across the pond

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Hand-Crafted-Irish-Welcome-Brass-Sign-Cead-Mile-Failte-/190764754561?pt=Plaques_Signs&hash=item2c6a772681

Usually have hundreds of bits on flea bay, but not a lot at the moment

Emerald Isle Express loco plate is one of their star buys!

Seller should be renamed 'fakeirishstuff'.

Would love to know who is churning out these babies (and derivatives thereof) by the bucketload.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Irish-40-Shillings-Fine-Railway-Gate-Sign-Ireland-/190757780449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6a0cbbe1

http://www.barewalls.com/pv-450111_Ireland-by-CIE.html

Maureen found this on line recently while looking for artwork for the layout area. I have never seen this image before. Does anyone have any information about it?

Artwork by someone called 'Curran' for CIE poster, around mid/late 50's when A Class were still in silver, full version here, another version has alternative wording for US market, offices in New York, Chicago, LA, etc:

http://www.irishrailwayana.com/CIEposA2L.jpg

Not of any actual location in particular, seems a trippy mish mash of somewhere on the South Eastern with a bit of the lakes of Killarney thrown in. Note cab that looks a bit early Sulzer-ish and interesting double brake hoses!

Edited by minister_for_hardship

Reminds me of the GWR signage from the early 20th century, back then there was two ways of getting to Killarney by train from the uk, one via Cork on the Prince of Wales route and the second via Rosslare. There was a special from Paddington on a Friday evening, that would give you a full day in Killarney and get you back to London in time for work on monday morning.

I have the final traffic book of New Ross Station which i was given in 1997 when the station building got knocked down, i ve also got a West cork milepost, a fixed signal off the Dungarvan line and a passenger ticket from the Macroom line.

On the West Cork line milepost, i ve seen knock off examples which it wouldn t take an expert to figure out there not genuine.

hi lads - it never ceases to amaze me , that no matter where you go on this planit of ours , irish railway hstory always hits you in the face! just came back with my family from 'the algarve'. first night was spent (as you do) looking for an irish pub.....landed 10 minutes from our apartments in a place called Potomio and found this little gem of a pub called 'Irelands Eye' worst thing we ever did - never left the fecking place for the week!!! the thing that hit me was the history on the wall ... then cane the coup de grace - an arrival / departure notice board from limerick station from the steam era!..you couldn't shift me after this!........

Oh dear, what a mess and to think that somebody obviously spent money on getting this made. Where is 'Lough Hee' between Claremorris and Galway - or is that how the translator in India/China or wherever spells Loughrea? And, where on earth is the New Castle listed on the board under Kilkee? =))

Virtually everything you see like this in pubs is fake. .

lesson well learnt! but try and remember that by the time we arrived at this pub every night it was after several buckets of the local brew - all followed by free shots of some discusting horse p*ss (it seemed the thing to do at the time!), so i wouldnt have recognised the Pope if he was in front of mesleepy-smiley.gif

i must admit that it did give a nice atmosphere to the place.

And who is this "Curran" whose poster is displayed by the "Irish Narrow Gate Trust"?

What, in railway terminology, is a "narrow gate"? Something designed to prevent a train going somewhere?

According to a piece on the National Museum's website "Probably Belfast based William Curran who won a Bord Fáilte anti-litter poster competition in 1967"

As for a 'narrow gate', maybe a 'wicket gate'!:D

• 1 month later...
Was it being sold as the 'real deal' or as a replica...of sorts?

Seriously though, who the hell is making this stuff?

Lot 739: Railway sign start bid €20 - Cast iron railway sign "Cork and Bandon" Estimate: 40-60

The auctioneers blurb (above) leaves it up to the buyer!

I know it's a long shot, but seeing a thread about railway memorabilia, I just thought I'd ask... Does anyone know where I might come on a Metropolitan Vickers builders plate, that was fitted to the outside of the A class locos, with the words: Metropolitan Vickers 1955: on it? I know they are still in existence, but I assume they don't come up for sale very often.