Irish railway memorabilia

Rate this topic

heirflick

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The C class plate is a lot rarer than an A plate, in terms of the number produced and C's being scrapped at a time when it would have been quite likely to have been binned rather than kept.

Yes, I'd agree. I've seen several photos of the A class plates, even on this site, and I'd say WRENNEIRE's might be the first pic of the C class plate I've seen.

How many plates were fitted to each loco? I'm assuming two, one on each side?

Anyway, I just need to track one down now.....

Yery nice!

I have one of the panels from a 121 class at home, wll, in my dad's shed! It was autioned off by the ITG some years back to raise money for their loco funds.

As far as I can remember, it is from 126, and has 'Suitable for hauling air-braked trains' on it.

I must ask him to pop it in the boot the next time he is dropping over to me

"The Ironroad Eireann Co.

Persons applying graffiti to any edifice, locomotive engine, passenger carriage or goods wagon belonging to the Company are hereby warned that the penalty for all such offences or outrages will be a minimum of ten years slow torture, followed by mandatory death penalty; this as a minimum.

By order of the Management"

"The Ironroad Eireann Co.

Persons applying graffiti to any edifice, locomotive engine, passenger carriage or goods wagon belonging to the Company are hereby warned that the penalty for all such offences or outrages will be a minimum of ten years slow torture, followed by mandatory death penalty; this as a minimum.

By order of the Management"

I must object, those penalties must only be applied after the offending party has been forced to remove the graffiti. That stuff is a complete PIA to remove.:mad:

• 2 weeks later...
Yery nice!

I have one of the panels from a 121 class at home, wll, in my dad's shed! It was autioned off by the ITG some years back to raise money for their loco funds.

As far as I can remember, it is from 126, and has 'Suitable for hauling air-braked trains' on it.

I must ask him to pop it in the boot the next time he is dropping over to me

Just had a look in the shed the other day, and it is actually from 130! I've asked my dad to bring it down with him this weekend, as there's a spot for it in my garage

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I'm sure it would be great to travel from Amiens street to Cork on the Great Western Railway.....

Aye, along Ye Olde Liffey Tunnel to Kingsbridge! Another shot on the way out captured this, kinda missing the decent sign on the lower left.

IMG_20140303_164558.jpg

The one below I believe to be legit. Located in (my home local) Bobby Byrne's, Limerick.

Kid.

IMG_20140126_204903.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is another item. This one I do need some suggestions as to what it is.

P1050012 IRM.jpg

It's a small metal plate, about 6¼" x 2¼", painted black with the number 2622. On the rear are four folded over metal clips. I found it by the trackside on the DSE section around a mile south of Killiney in about 1967 / 68. From the number, 2622, I assume that it came from the AEC railcar of that number, but as to its purpose and to where it was attached I have no idea. One suggestion that has been made is that it was attached somewhere on one of the engines / transmissions. Has anyone any more ideas about this?

P1050005 IRM.jpg

It's in the same style as the numbering on the AEC's in B n T days, were they numbered in any other place other than the front?

The plate appears to be too small to have been cut from the aluminium at the front of the cab.

I would have expected to see traces of the old green paint, unless they were re-sheeted at some stage?

Looks like a bodge job done to repair something, a primitive means of renumbering or block a hole I imagine, and then fell off? A lot of re-use of old material went on before, a contact of mine found the GSR enamel nameboard of Athlone, but was gutted when it turned out to be just one half of it. It had been cut in two to block a hole up in something. Saw an old BOVRIL sign once that had been made into a backplate for a pot belly stove with a hole cut through it for the flue.

Edited by minister_for_hardship