Video Website Updates

Rate this topic

That is just over 10 years ago, how time has flown. The Beet wagons made a distinctive noise, you would hear them before you would see them in some instances. How much things have changed is shocking. Lot's of track lifted, Beet trains ended, no more MK111's, 141's 181's 121's, or Orange 071's. God I loved those Beet wagons.

Rich,

If you pause the video at 1:50' date=' anyone know anything about that wagon. I've never seen anything like it on the network before.[/quote']

That wagon you refer to was a one off trial build,it was intended to be a replacement for the double deck two axle wagons...but as we now all know the beet traffic didn't last,

Excellent video.

Brilliant stuff Railer! Thanks for sharing.

Patrick,

Great videos. I am curious about the industrial complex shown on the right hand side of the screen on the January 2006 video. Can anyone shed some light on what it was and its history

what place in the video is the are you refering to?

Great videos. I am curious about the industrial complex shown on the right hand side of the screen on the January 2006 video. Can anyone shed some light on what it was and its history

Is it this

in this video? It's the large grain complex belonging to R & H Hall. It saw wagon-load traffic throughout the 1950s and 60s and then it later years saw container style spasmodic grain trains during the mid to late 1990s until this traffic ceased altogether. The rail connection into complex was lifted recently following the track rationalisation at Waterford station.

'Off the beeten track' series of three dvds by VideoLines is excellent - covering the 1998 beet campaign. First dvd covers the empties, second covers the loaded trains, and the third dvd is a cab ride from Waterford to Wellington Bridge. I've been rewatching them over the last few days.

Available from http://railwayvideo.co.uk/irish-railways.html

Great footage by Joe St Leger.

It's likely that the A failed on the beet, although it is also possible B190 was piloting the train over a particular section.

By 'weighted' wagon, I assume you're referring to the wagon at the rear of the passenger/parcels train? Looks like a standard 20ft container on a flat wagon...

by the way , what was the little yellow weighted wagon for

It was a shuttle attached to a steam powered pully system under the track. It was used to move the wagons by the loading arm as they filled up. It reduced the need to have a loco slowly move the wagons as they were loaded up. It used to break down at times causing a loco to be stuck there all day just loading up wagons for others to haul. Don't think the drivers assigned to that duty were too happy when it happened.

It was a shuttle attached to a steam powered pully system under the track. It was used to move the wagons by the loading arm as they filled up. It reduced the need to have a loco slowly move the wagons as they were loaded up. It used to break down at times causing a loco to be stuck there all day just loading up wagons for others to haul. Don't think the drivers assigned to that duty were too happy when it happened.

looking at the picture , its looks like the loco draws the shuttle forward and a single wire winch pulls it back. Don't think there was anything under the track.

( or maybe CIE could launch F15s from a steam catapult based in wellington bridge, now theres a conspiracy theory )

did the 141s etc have slow speed creep control ?

141s are very controllable at slow speeds anyway, without any extra gubbins. They make excellent shunting locos.

The idea behind creep control, was that the loco didn't slow or gain speed irrespective of load ( a kind o flow speed cruise control ) , the tendency for diesel electrics is that that they slowly build up sped, requiring constant throttle adjustments other wise.

The idea behind creep control, was that the loco didn't slow or gain speed irrespective of load ( a kind o flow speed cruise control ) , the tendency for diesel electrics is that that they slowly build up sped, requiring constant throttle adjustments other wise.

I agree, and I think creep control is a good idea in many cases, but in the case of the 141s, working in and out of idle and notch 1 will have them creeping along anyway. You're correct, a DE does continue to load up when power is on

Now this is my recollection of beet trains ( I presume the A has failed in the first train )

Great find the loose coupled beets could load to 55 wagons 780 tons between Campile (which acted as a marshalling yard for loaded bet trains) and Limerick

Container wagons appear to have been regular Limerick-Waterford passenger trains including AEC railcars into the early 70s, the traffic possibly meat or dairy products for export through Waterford or Rosslare. Oliver Doyle wrote about heavy traffic in bacon carried in BR insulated FM wagons from Waterford.

The B141 taking the Ballinacourty line with the short goods train is an interesting one, was she simply shunted to clear the Limerick line for a service train or a trip working to Waterford Iron Founders siding at Waterford West.

The line across the viaduct to Grace Deiu Junction remained open for traffic to and from the foundry following the closure of the Waterford-Mallow line in 1967, the traffic ceased and the junction removed by the late 1970s

I walked that line both across the red bridge and down the spur to the foundry many times from about 71 to 77 , the spur was in very bad condition and the junction was gone by 75 i believe.

I dont think that clip shows a loose freight about to cross bridge, I suspect its just using the line as an effective headhunt.

since I went into waterford every day to go to school, I well remember the long strings of beet wagons, ( know of your fancy later designs neither ), slowly running through the station , typically pulled by a A, and occasionally a 121 or a sulzer. ( usually struggling)

Laytown - 13 January 2016 (Part 1)

Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail Commuter 29000 DMU 29010 passes over the Laytown Viaduct

Service: 12.30 Dublin Pearse to Drogheda

Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail Commuter 29000 DMU 29029 + 29001 arrives & departs Laytown Station

Service: 13.38 Drogheda to Dublin Pearse

[video=youtube;Mj4q67-WV4o]

Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail ICR 22000 DMU 22037 Enterprise passes Laytown Station + horn

Service: 13.20 Dublin Connolly to Belfast

NI Railways 3000 EMU 3003 + 3001 pass Laytown Station

Service: 12.35 Belfast Central to Dublin Connolly

Iarnród Eireann Irish Rail Commuter 29000 DMU 29010 & ICR 22000 DMU 22052 + 22010 departs

Date: 13 January 2016

Laytown - 13 January 2016 (Part 2)

Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail 071 loco 086 + 9 Tara Mines Ore Wagons pass Laytown Station

Service: 14.00 Alexandra Road Tara Terminal to Tara Mines

Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail ICR 22000 DMU 22008 + 22018 pass Laytown Station

Service: Not in Service

Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail Commuter 29000 DMU 29019 + 29005 depart Laytown Station

Service: 14.37 Drogheda to Bray

Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail ICR 22000 DMU 22044 passes over the Laytown Viaduct

Service: Not in Service

Iarnród Eireann Irish Rail ICR 22000 DMU 22010 + 22052 passes over the Laytown Viaduct

Service: 15.15 Drogheda to Dublin Pearse

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

VIDEO:

A rare 9ICR passenger working to Cork this evening with 22055 + 22051 + 22054 working the 2100 Heuston - Cork service. This is normally formed by a 3ICR + 4ICR formation.

In Cork the sets will be split with 2X3ICR forming the 0550 Cork - Heuston & 3ICR forming the 0615 Cork - Heuston "Express". Thurs 18.02.16

Click the image below to view.

20160218_213402-M.jpg

Locomotive action at Howth Junction Station and Drogheda

Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail 071 loco 086 + 12 Tara Mines Ore Wagons pass Howth Junction & Donaghmede

Date: 20 January 2016

Service: 14.00 Alexandra Road Tara Terminal to Tara Mines

Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail 29000 DMU 29019 + DART 8100 EMU 8117 & 201 loco 206 + De Dietrich 9002 pass Drogheda Commuter Railcar Maintenance Facility

Date: 3 February 2016

Service: 11.00 Dublin Connolly to Belfast

Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail 071 loco 075 + Tara Mines Ore Wagons pass Howth Junction & Donaghmede Station

Date: 20 January 2016

Service: 12.25 Tara Mines to Alexandra Road Tara Terminal

• 3 months later...