Paint

Rate this question

Mike 84C

Question

A while back someone posted that a certain shade of paint from Howes Model Shop was just right for GSR grey. Anybody know what it was? Have you guys seen the new GPO rules for not posting paint and glues,loopy or what? Still I suppose it means we will have to support our local hobby shop.

7 answers to this question

A while back someone posted that a certain shade of paint from Howes Model Shop was just right for GSR grey. Anybody know what it was? Have you guys seen the new GPO rules for not posting paint and glues,loopy or what? Still I suppose it means we will have to support our local hobby shop.

The local shops will get the business if they stocked the paints, like Phoenix Precision and Railmatch. Marks has the Irish colours of Phoenix Precision but cannot get any more until Warley in November. BR colours are suddenly impossible to get!

GPO rules for not posting paint and glues,loopy or what? Still I suppose it means we will have to support our local hobby shop.

Royal Mail came out with the same waffle. I'm still getting a couple of hundred pounds a month of paint from the UK. It just takes 3 days instead of one to get here as it now travels by road and sea instead of air.

They would have been dark grey in GSR days, re-painted into drak green in early CIE days, a few that were overhauled in the mid 50s may have been re-painted in grey.

I usually use Howes "Weathered Black" with a flat varnish to get the flat grey effect of a loco that has been in service for a while, or satin for a newly overhauled loco, the effect of the different vaarnishes are remarkibly different

Further infos: http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/780-Liveries-of-Great-Southern-Railway

I know that Anto ^ did a Woolie in grey, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Edited by Glenderg

Royal Mail came out with the same waffle. I'm still getting a couple of hundred pounds a month of paint from the UK. It just takes 3 days instead of one to get here as it now travels by road and sea instead of air.

But the gobs*ites aren't clear about that on the Royal Mail website. The way they word it you can't send any paint through the postal system at all....