Sign in to follow this  
joegriffin1984

Problem with loco.

Question

Hi all, Im having a problem with one of my locos. When you power her up to go, shes making a revving like noise but not moving. Its like she wants to go but somethings stopping her. The higher I turn the power controller the higher the noise from the loco. Any Ideas?

10 answers to this question

Which loco is it?

Some of the ones I have with flywheel motors connect to the bogies via 'power rods'. These rods can become disconnected from the motor if the box gets knocked about, and the symptom is usually exactly what you describe.

Pry off / unscrew the body and take a peek - you should see the connections are off / loose. Should be a simple enough job to pop them back into place and you'll be underway again :)

Have you tried running it with the body off - so that you can see what is/isn't happening?

Tried it there. Still making the same noise. The two circles in the photo below, these parts are spinning around when i open the throttle up. Dave said I can drop it over to him if I cant fix it.

runnner.jpg

runnner.jpg

The worm - the black plastic screw on the end of the motor shaft - should cause the gear that is underneath it, parallel to the main wheels, to rotate.

If the motor and worm gear are spinning freely then it could possibly be an issue with the connecting rods on the main wheels being slightly out of sync.