Broadstone

Rate this topic

Love to see the H&S lads get their paws on these 2 guys!

Pic was taken a few weeks before Broadstone shed closed down in April '61

9391940890_0ab87407f5_b_zps5647c7fe.jpg

Brilliant photo. No42 was the last surviving Ivatt 2-4-2T lasted until 1963. Ancient looking but fairly modern by GSWR standards one of a class of 6 normally used on Cork-Cobh & West Cork passenger services. There may have been some kind of swap between sheds as an ex-MGWR 0-6-0T 552 was transferred for use on the West Cork in the same era. The 2-4-2T may have been hand for getting into nooks corners around Inchacore and Broadstone a larger loco could not reach. 42 seems to be getting a boiler wash out and having her tubes cleaned a job that would be done in much the same way in 2013 as 1893 when 42 was built.

That is an incredible photo! Those search lights are definitely military in origin. An example of these was (for YEARS) in the museum at Fort Davis (Fort Carlisle) on the eastern side of the mouth of Cork Harbour. Only last year it was moved to the new museum on Spike Island.

if you look close enough the letters are ?IE part of an annaversery display for inchicore works?[ATTACH=CONFIG]8441[/ATTACH]

Shem, more than likely. Also the car in the picture looks like the @rse end of a small early 60's type Austin. Any car alpha-geeks in the house who can ID it any better?

if you look close enough the letters are ?IE part of an annaversery display for inchicore works?[ATTACH=CONFIG]8441[/ATTACH]

The letters are CIE reversed so that they would be broadcast into a pilot's eyes or onto a cloud, batman style. As for the location, it looks suspiciously like the MGWR station in Athlone, with the engine shed behind the photographer. The cut stone on the far building is too good to be a goods shed, and the chimneys match. Possibly the ornate water tower on the extreme right of the photo? Or a cement silo? Would love to know the story behind this. R

Shem, more than likely. Also the car in the picture looks like the @rse end of a small early 60's type Austin. Any car alpha-geeks in the house who can ID it any better?

Looks more like a Ford Anglia 100E to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34107011@N08/4588718824/sizes/o/in/set-72157624015981232/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34107011@N08/4588097337/sizes/o/in/set-72157624015981232/

Edited by moogle
putting in the correct quote!

By the hokey lads, but yer observation skills are pure class. Store Street detectives have nothing on yez! And the light cluster and rear window curvature on the car would clearly indicate that it is indeed an Anglia. As for location I won't argue with our architect in residence. Well up Richie.

Edited by Weshty

Cheers Des, but I'm not that confident just yet. It's either a George Wilkinson or a JS Mulvany (nearly sure it's his). Trying to find the location that matches the track layout, telegraph poles, the building, and the roadway for the Anglia. I also thought it may have been foynes at one point, but it's unlikely that wide bodied coach would be in a siding. The mystery deepens :)

It's probably an Austin A35, possibly a hillman Imp.

Not an A35, boot on them is more rounded and different rear lights.

Imp? No. Rear window on them slopes more and is square! Lights different again.

I'm no expert I just like classic cars... :banana:

Apologies for being slightly off topic but its a coincidence that the Ford Anglia 100E was brought up here. I saw one of these the other day when I was travelling down a country lane in Monaghan but I couldn't figure out what it was and the 'Anglia' badge on the front threw me in particular! I was trying to describe it to my Dad and he said it sounded like a Popular so he was nearly right, just a 2 door version :)

Thanks for solving the mystery for me :tumbsup: