'Kent Station' build

Rate this topic

scahalane

Thanks for all the supportive comments, its much appreciated. In answer to some of your questions.

Jimbo325ci: The roof tiles are individually cut from 0.5mm evergreen plastic card 5mm square and laid down in much the same way as you'd do a real roof, its a slow procedure but it gives good results. I normally hand paint it with acrylic paints. I got the idea from reading one of Allan Downes articles, check out his stuff to see how a real master works!

Dave: The windows were cut from 0.5mm evergreen sheet using a silver bullet die cutter machine that I bought a couple of months ago. It was a pricey enough investment that I was hemming and hawing about for a while but under a bit of advise from Richie who has one himself I bit the bullet (excuse the pun) and bought one with no regrets. The process I use involves drawing up the shapes in autocad, normally a window will have 3-4 different layers that are cut and laminated on top of each other to build up to the right depth.

Josefstadt: The texture process I use for the brick work is me taking a photo of the actual building facade and cleaning it up in photoshop and if I can't get access to a particular part of the building I find a similar looking wall either locally or online (http://www.cgtextures.com is a good one). As I have the building in question drawn up in autocad I simply export the drawing as a pdf file into photoshop and layer over to insure everything lines up as it should. I print it out at as high a resolution as I can to be glued onto each facade. I print out an elevation of the building from autocad and using the point of a compass I mark the corner of each window, door and wall edge for cutting out. Everything lines up perfectly. The only draw back of using this process is it can look a bit flat so I try to break up the space using features made of plastic as much as I can. The real focus of any building on a layout is the roof and its here I spend the most time on.

I hope this answers some of your questions, if you've any more I'd be only too happy to answer.

Thanks for all the supportive comments, its much appreciated. In answer to some of your questions.

Dave: The windows were cut from 0.5mm evergreen sheet using a silver bullet die cutter machine that I bought a couple of months ago. It was a pricey enough investment that I was hemming and hawing about for a while but under a bit of advise from Richie who has one himself I bit the bullet (excuse the pun) and bought one with no regrets. The process I use involves drawing up the shapes in autocad, normally a window will have 3-4 different layers that are cut and laminated on top of each other to build up to the right depth.

They look fantastic, I had a second look at the pictures and the detail is simply breathtaking. The Silver Bullet was a very good investment.

Jimbo325ci: The roof tiles are individually cut from 0.5mm evergreen plastic card 5mm square and laid down in much the same way as you'd do a real roof, its a slow procedure but it gives good results. I normally hand paint it with acrylic paints. I got the idea from reading one of Allan Downes articles, check out his stuff to see how a real master works!

Josefstadt: The texture process I use for the brick work is me taking a photo of the actual building facade and cleaning it up in photoshop and if I can't get access to a particular part of the building I find a similar looking wall either locally or online (http://www.cgtextures.com is a good one). As I have the building in question drawn up in autocad I simply export the drawing as a pdf file into photoshop and layer over to insure everything lines up as it should. I print it out at as high a resolution as I can to be glued onto each facade. I print out an elevation of the building from autocad and using the point of a compass I mark the corner of each window, door and wall edge for cutting out. Everything lines up perfectly. The only draw back of using this process is it can look a bit flat so I try to break up the space using features made of plastic as much as I can. The real focus of any building on a layout is the roof and its here I spend the most time on.

I hope this answers some of your questions, if you've any more I'd be only too happy to answer.

Amazing stuff, the textures you get is a true testament to the possibilities of modelling with card and combining it with other materials. Looking forward to more updates!

• 1 year later...

Definitely must be a seasonal thing, its been exactly a year since I last updated. A few more buildings detailed and painted...started on the balasting... rejigged the cliff section and added the first layer of landscaping. Happy Christmas guys!

kent model build 24-12-15a.jpg

kent model build 24-12-15b.jpg

kent model build 24-12-15c.jpg

kent model build 24-12-15d.jpg

kent model build 24-12-15e.jpg

kent model build 24-12-15f.jpg

kent model build 24-12-15g.jpg

kent model build 24-12-15h.jpg

kent model build 24-12-15i.jpg

kent model build 24-12-15j.jpg

kent model build 24-12-15k.jpg

kent model build 24-12-15l.jpg

kent model build 24-12-15m.jpg

kent model build 24-12-15n.jpg

kent model build 24-12-15o.jpg

• Like 2
  • WOW! 2

bloody hell sean, that was worth waiting for!

I thought the second photo was a real one for comparison, and I haven't hit the whiskey yet! Superb stuff. In fact, worth rambling through the thread from the beginning.

any chance of some "overall" shots to get an idea of the scale of your works?

Richie.

Take my breath away. That's the finest piece of work I've seen in a long time. I had to do a double take on the second picture. And the way you've integrated it into the attic space, I can only imagine the work on this Scaha. Faultless.

Gotta agree with Weshty here. I'm subscribed to this thread so been waiting patiently for an update. Definitely worth the wait. l remember that skew bridge from my childhood and the model's really perfect. Even the steps beneath. I think all the superlatives have been used. You should be very proud of that:drool:

Absolutely amazing layout, with excellent craftsmanship in all aspects.

Personally, I think it's the buildings and structures that make this layout stand out from the crowd.

Maybe Scahalane can post some more close up or general photos of the buildings on the layout.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21885[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21886[/ATTACH]

Absolutely sublime. :tumbsup: Hyper yummy!

Photo realism eat your heart out. This is superb on all levels of design, craftsmanship, artistry, authenticity, modelling, engineering, landscaping and pure 100% "atmosphere". I felt like I was in Cork looking out a window.

Just catching up on here as was tied up with family festivities. Love the scenery, buildings, track work, landscaping - everything. Hope you have much enjoyment operating this layout par excellence.