Irish Railway Trivia

Rate this topic

Glenderg

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The railway line ran from left to right in the picture, roughly where I am standing and not on top of the embankment. The opening does not appear to be much bigger than a standard house door. To be honest I am not sure what it was because there is a decent size hill on the other side.

Any clue at all?

Presume it's part of a walkway now, clad in unweathered stone and surrounded with modern Health & Safety barriers?

Yes its a public walkway now but I am not sure how far out of town it goes.

It was part of the W&LR, passenger services stopped in July 1931 and goods in April 1944

71. Mr. Lawlor asked the Minister for Arts, Culture and the Gaeltacht Michael D. Higgins the plans, if any, he has to address the concerns of residents in the Clonsilla area of Dublin 15 regarding the preservation of the old signal box at Clonsilla Station as part of our transport heritage; if his attention has been drawn to the fact that this signal box may be the last of its kind in the Dublin area and that there is concern that it may be demolished as the line becomes automated; and if he will discuss the heritage aspects of this matter with the relevant bodies to ensure the preservation of the old signal box at Clonsilla, either in situ, or at an adjacent site. [13748/96]

Minister for Arts, Culture and the Gaeltacht (Mr. M. Higgins): This matter has not previously been brought to my attention. However, as the signal box is the property of a public authority, I will request the advice of the Heritage Council as to whether it should be designated as a heritage building under section 10 of the Heritage Act, 1995.

Has to be on a single track line - two staff instruments. The hand generator is for sending the bell codes to an adjacent cabin. The right-had instrument has a space for a key on it. Is this a key for unlocking a starting signal, or something similar? The two different types of staff holders hanging on the wall are interesting. And the working timetable, also hanging on the wall, seems to be from the Great Northern Railway. Of course, all that doesn't get me any closer to deciding where the cabin is (was).

It was do to being spotted in the North from the air during the troubles I believe?

Love that pic and the (then) new DAFs in the background

Any time I hear the upturned headlight mentioned, I always wonder why they didn't just place an additional light on the roof of the loco, and leave the headlight alone for it's intended purpose. Surely that couldn't have been any harder to engineer or install? :confused: