Rate this topic

33lima

OK a few more pics showing the cars now all flush-glazed, again using a combination of the trusty SE Finescast set for the Hornby Mk2a and Glenderg's CD cover method. In most cases, the latter were stuck to thin acetate 'backing' with Humbrol Clearfix and fitted from inside, but for the driving trailer cab front window, this was bevelled at the edges and when fitting snugly, push-fitted from the front and secured with varnish applied from the rear.

The jumper cables have now been refitted to the driving tailer cab front and a plasticard strip wiper fitted to the window. NIR logos had previously been brush-painted onto the cab sides as per the motor car (except they are the larger size on both sides). The short length of Trimline that carries around the curve at the coach ends tends to lift for lack of length on the far side of the curve but some carefully-applied Clearfix (which has the advantage that paintwork isn't ruined if you have to wipe off excess) dealt with this, where it was happening.

I now need to do the odd bit of paintwork like flat varnishing the roofs and another coat of yellow on the corridor connection cover, plus re-fit and paint white the remaining grab handles. Plus I need to fit a coupling to the power car's trailing bogie, apply its cab-front number, and sort a few other minor details. Nearly done at last - it'll have taken about three months all told, perhaps a month longer than my first set in the early 1990s, also pictured below (in red and cream 'suburban' sector livery) beside the second one also from that time, though the first one didn't get flush-glazed and neither got any buffer-beam detail.

P1030330.jpg

P1030331.jpg

P1030338.jpg

80 class 1.jpg

80 class 4.jpg

OK, we're about done now, just some odds and ends which I'll finish over the weekend, including a trial run as a set.

A coupling loop was fitted to the rear of the ex-HST rear bogie on the power car; this was made from a loop of piano wire with a strip folded from thin sheet brass cyano-ed to the outer loop to prevent it riding over the next coupling when running driving trailer first. I also made cosmetic overlays for this bogie from sheet and strip plasticard.

Roofs of all cars have been matt varnished (likely to get another coat once it's fully dried) and the insides of the two toilet windows have been painted white. Pipes on the buffer beams under the cabs were painted dark grey to lift them a bit against the black.

All being well, she should be be on its way to Galway on Monday, Michael!

P1030342.jpg

P1030340.jpg

P1030339.jpg

P1030343.jpg

P1030344.jpg

P1030345.jpg

P1030346.jpg

P1030347.jpg

I have good memories of this loco. The first time I saw one was at Cobh Junction sometime in '87 as a student traveling up and down to Cobh. She had replaced the regular a class and cravens, and I thought to myself what was this noisy beast maroon and cream chucking towards me. She continuously sounded as if on the point of breakdown, but had lovely heated vents for your feet which was a blessing on a cold winters morning. A couple of years later I again came acquainted with her as a regular passenger while living in Belfast and working in Lurgan. She was fairly robust and survived many a good stoning on the way into Lurgan.

You have captured the look and feel of her very well, and although very much on the long finger I hope to build one myself someday!

Great Model, the only small point is number 88 was wrecked in the early 1980's so sadly never lasted until this paint scheme was introduced. Numbers 94 to 99 would be fine.

But it is a great model and possibly the best 80 I have seen.

Whoops, mis-read my 'Irish Railways Traction & Travel' which as you say shows 88 as withdrawn in 1983 and scrapped in 1988. Power car now re-numbered to ex-suburban car 89, saves having to worry about the nameplates 94-99 carried! Earlier numbers than 94 are ok, as the set is in the post-sectorisation blue & grey, with no 'Intercity' lettering and some other subtle variations.

NIR Bangor 006.jpg

...and yes Nelson, well spotted, my PC's current wallpaper is a Bf109, my favourite the 'Gustav' (G6 version), from IL-2+Dark Blue World. But I digress!

NIR 80 Class 05.jpg

Fantastic photos.

The mix of livery's all in 1 rake looks very interesting, much better than the CAFs.

Is the 1st photo taken at carnalea? I was up the other day filming the sandite.

Edit: Wow, just looking at these pics and listening to the sandite running outside there now at 11pm, all the way from bangor to carnalea is just amazing. Makes me sad that they've all (apart form sandite) have been scraped.

Edited by Dunluce Castle

Just about done now. I added some thin plasticard under the power car's rear bogie mount to lift that end a little, more level with the next car. I replaced the red diamond on the driving trailer corridor connection cover with a larger one, as the original was a bit small. The little white italic NIR logos were added to the black lining, two each side. They are not very neat, having been applied with a home-made 'mini-brush' made by slicing about 2 mm down into the end of a matchstick, prising the halves apart slightly, then inserting between these 'jaws' a single bristle from an unused shoebrush and then super-glueing them shut to grip the bristle. Quite clever, I thought, but alas not that successful; or maybe my hands are less steady than 20 years ago. Anyway I didn't attempt to add the car numbers! But the power car's cab front number has been changed from 88 to 89. Don't worry Michael, what looks like a scratch on the front blue panel is just a hair or fibre that I didn't notice when taking the pic!

P1030348.jpg

P1030353.jpg

P1030354.jpg

P1030356.jpg

Right - the model is finally complete, the last acts being to put a dab of varnish over the little white italic NIR side logos and to fill a couple of voids under the power car underframe with a bit of extra ballast (fire clay of all things; more maleable than plasticine and quite heavy).

Two details I didn't get quite right are that I think the roof cowls at the rear of the power car should have a slightly bigger gap between them; and the toilet windows on the centre-door trailers I chose to model should have a slightly higher lower frame, above the level of the other windows. Next time...!

To finish off this thread at last, I thought I'd indulge myself by uploading a set of pics I took earlier today, that I won't be able to take again, after the set is boxed up for despatch - the new set, alongside the two I made in the early 1990s. I still think that the grey-blue and cream-red liveries these sets wore back in those days are the most attractive they ever carried, before or since. I'm rather glad that I made, and have now repeated, this effort at preserving in model form the appearance of these units in their heyday. One day, I hope to travel again on a real set that has escaped the cutter's torch and made it back into passenger-carrying service in preservation. I'll end with a warm 'thank you!' to everybody who's followed this thread and especially those who've made such kind comments. And to TrainModel, whose infectious enthusiasm was the real inspiration behind this project - thanks, Michael!

P1030357.jpg

P1030365.jpg

P1030364.jpg

P1030363.jpg

P1030362.jpg

P1030360.jpg

P1030359.jpg

P1030358.jpg

P1030366.jpg

P1030361.jpg