murrayec's Projects

Rate this topic

murrayec

• 1 month later...

2 days later red under-coat was sprayed, using red to get a deep satin black...

FSO-141 IMAG2759.jpg

FSO-142 IMAG2760.jpg

2 days later satin black was sprayed

FSO-143 IMAG2829.jpg

FSO-144 IMAG2830.jpg

Then it was back to finalising the cab for painting, this required a few more parts soldered on, first the washout plugs on the cab side, these were missing from the kit so a few brass bits were made up from sheet for the surround and .8mm wire for the plugs themselves

FSO-145 IMAG2779.jpg

The sides were cleaned with fibre brush before soldering, I held the plug in place with a cocktail stick and flowed solder in under, it all worked out great.

FSO-146 IMAG2781.jpg

FSO-147 IMAG2782.jpg

Next the inside window frames and the doors needed soldering on, the window frames required mods to avoid the revet detail around the window opes, the cab insides needed a bit of a clean up to get the frames to sit down flush, so I decided to file down all edges, handrail fittings, the rest, and then gave it a bit of a blast before doing the soldering

FSO-148 IMAG2783.jpg

FSO-149 IMAG2784.jpg

All done, but the roof aint fitting very well and I cant bring myself to epoxying it on, so some mods are being made up in brass to hook the roof on so that it can be removed to view the inside cab when the backhead is complete in all its glory- that will be next time....

FSO-150 IMAG2835.jpg

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Like 1
  • WOW! 1

Top of the drawer stuff as always Eoin, your photos are always a joy.

Edit: When you mention epoxy and the roof, I'm reminded of Tony Wright being asked recently by members of IRM team why he doesn't do resin kits of steam loco's.

To paraphrase, "You can't solder resin" was his response :P

R.

Edited by Glenderg

Thanks all for comments

The roof is a hunk of plastic, badly distorted from using an unbelievable amount of cyano glue in the first build of this kit! I cleaned it up and got it back into shape but the open end just wont take the correct curve, reinforcing is required by adding strips of brass with a joggle at ends that will hook onto the cab sides and 'keep the shape!'

Eoin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Getting ready to paint the wheels, so I got out the tender chassis that was part built. Out with the acetone and started to dismantle the break gear that was super glued on- how he was going to paint it I don't know!

FSO-151 IMAG2879.jpg

On closer inspection I found some real guntering- two of the break levers were sheared off and an attempt to make do was implemented leading to wavy break rods.

FSO-152 IMAG2880.jpg

FSO-155 IMAG2883.jpg

Even worse- the incorrect axle bearings were used with about 1mm of slop and most of the bearings were not glued in.

FSO-153 IMAG2881.jpg

FSO-154 IMAG2882.jpg

No right angles could be found in the assembly, the frame spacers were not glued in also. I reckon if it was run like this the rattle would have been annoying, and most likely it would have fallen apart.

FSO-156 IMAG2884.jpg

'Railway Modellers Acetone Cocktail'

FSO-159 IMAG2885.jpg

A few hours later I got the wheels and a number of other bits, the correct bearings will have to be sourced and a plan for those two sheared break levers....

FSO-157 IMAG2886.jpg

FSO-158 IMAG2887.jpg

To late to be masking the wheels now

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Like 2

It can be interesting to see how others have built things! Indeed, am not entirely sure what folk would think of my stuff if they knew what was under the paint, filler etc... For me, the crucial things are it looks good and runs well [if applicable]. What Eoin is doing is pure craftsmanship, which the rest of us can only look on in awe and wonder - hoping it inspires us to make our own stuff a bit better as a result.

• 1 month later...

I hung the Scot cab roof this evening...

I wanted the roof to be removable and devised a plan to hook it in there with some brass noggled strips. The back end of the cab sides did not line up with the roof, the kit relies on the roof to support these when glued on...

So a .5mm thick curvy frame was cut out and filed up n soldered in

FSO-160 IMAG3114.jpg

FSO-161 IMAG3115.jpg

FSO-162 IMAG3118.jpg

FSO-163 IMAG3117.jpg

The noggled strips were cut from .28mm thick brass 40mm long, the noggel was achieved by sandwiching the strip between two strips of .5mm brass, one on one side and the other on the other with a 1.5mm gap between the bending edges, taped together and scrunched in the bench vice

FSO-164 IMAG3122.jpg

The noggel

FSO-165 IMAG3124.jpg

The roof was marked up with the strips in trial position, then the roof was scored with a knife, ditto to the brass strips after a good clean with the fibre brush and the lot was epoxied with a little bit of cling film around the cab wall top so that only the brass strips stick to the roof

FSO-166 IMAG3126.jpg

FSO-167 IMAG3127.jpg

I'll leave that for the night and see how it worked in the morning

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi

The cab roof mod above worked very well.....

Painting wheels, cab and backhead stuff on the Flying Scot.....

The wheels were mounted an ply boards with brass counter-sunk screws to keep the paint out of the hub, a washer is under the wheels so they are above the timber and can be rotated while the paint is wet and the screw doesn't stick.

FSO-168 IMAG3180.jpg

FSO-169 IMAG3203.jpg

The backhead was under-coated and painted satin black, Humbrol masking liquid was used to mask off around the dial gauges, and the gauges were painted brass colour to pick out their surrounds. The dial gauge faces are little drawings printed off on the inkjet printer, covered with clear transpaseal, cut out and stuck on.

FSO-170 IMAG3201.jpg

Cab stuff being finished off, soon ready to put the back-head together.

FSO-171 IMAG3202.jpg

Cab with first coats going on.

FSO-172 IMAG3206.jpg

Backhead now up and running, PB wire was used for the pipework as it looks like copper and doesn't need painting, nice looking bit of stuff but very fiddly to do- the water gauges and hand-wheels were all out of shape from the last build attempt and I had to play around with them to tidy them up. The water gauge faces were done on the inkjet printer as per the dial gauges.

FSO-173 IMAG3204.jpg

FSO-174 IMAG3205.jpg

Eoin

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

Good lord, what stunning modelling skills on display there. That cab interior is something to marvel at, it's just magnificent. I haven't read any of the other pages in this thread, is this 00 scale?

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi

While moulding the Class A bogie sides I made a mould to replace the damaged break shoes, here is a few shots.....

FSO-175 IMAG3333.jpg

FSO-176 IMAG3335.jpg

This is a photo of the four castings and one of the original parts the mould was made from.

FSO-177 IMAG3336.jpg

Much easier than the A stuff cause its nice thick parts and the metal flows through the mould- even when the mould is cold!

Eoin

• 4 weeks later...

Decals on the chassis and wheels was next, another handy use for the chassis jig- sticking on decals!

5a037492cf68a_FSO-178IMAG3439.jpg.6d4df24cd55ae7b47bcf474a9c2b52ad.jpg

The red lines were a nightmare, I finally figured it out- cut them up and stick each line on separate, if you try to say stick on those 'L' shapes they twist and stick to themselves and then break as one tries to untie them.

5a03749655cb2_FSO-179IMAG3440.jpg.dbfa359bdb090d9e8198d14cde273075.jpg

5a0374983a4b2_FSO-180IMAG3444.jpg.ba2a40d431a437b55126bcc89ac62bf1.jpg

5a037499d74ec_FSO-181IMAG3445.jpg.ba0c54fcdb3f127f9af50705fa881d80.jpg

Wheels were next, same nightmare and even worse- two of the bogie wheel transfers had been sliced up in the packet by metal parts they were in with, one was in about 10 pieces and they were floating around in the water- 'Decal Fishing'

5a03749c917b7_FSO-182IMAG3470.jpg.2112f068a617e54edeb60d89aef41d65.jpg

All done, just a coat of satin varnish to hide the decal-fix and seal them, then the chassis is ready to go back together. Is that the cab all test fitted up?

5a03749f594bd_FSO-183IMAG3469.jpg.a74ef6d6efcab14f5c218de2813f052d.jpg

Yes it is, first test burn of the boiler!

5a0374a204684_FSO-184IMAG3477.jpg.a434db721759c94db6c1bc300d52c70e.jpg

5a0374a50f353_FSO-185IMAG3471.jpg.a92ba8ef36f9af5817b0a38c40549aa5.jpg

Two flickering LEDs from Baseboard Dave- red n orange, mounted behind the backhead with fire door open and a bit of tracing paper with black marker on as a diffuser and coal look......

Eoin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1