murrayec

murrayec's Projects

On 6/12/2017 at 11:57 PM, murrayec said:

I hung the Scot cab roof this evening...

I wanted the roof to be removable and devised a plan to hook it in there with some brass noggled strips. The back end of the cab sides did not line up with the roof, the kit relies on the roof to support these when glued on...

So a .5mm thick curvy frame was cut out and filed up n soldered in

FSO-160 IMAG3114.jpg

FSO-161 IMAG3115.jpg

FSO-162 IMAG3118.jpg

FSO-163 IMAG3117.jpg

The noggled strips were cut from .28mm thick brass 40mm long, the noggel was achieved by sandwiching the strip between two strips of .5mm brass, one on one side and the other on the other with a 1.5mm gap between the bending edges, taped together and scrunched in the bench vice

FSO-164 IMAG3122.jpg

The noggel

FSO-165 IMAG3124.jpg

The roof was marked up with the strips in trial position, then the roof was scored with a knife, ditto to the brass strips after a good clean with the fibre brush and the lot was epoxied with a little bit of cling film around the cab wall top so that only the brass strips stick to the roof

FSO-166 IMAG3126.jpg

FSO-167 IMAG3127.jpg

I'll leave that for the night and see how it worked in the morning

Eoin

Eoin,

What do you use to Cut the cab frames out with? . Some nice work there m8. Just reading through the whole thing thread now and enjoying it.

• Like 1

Some lovely work being done on this thread, a true master craftsman at work .Well done Eoin

2 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Eoin,

What do you use to Cut the cab frames out with? . Some nice work there m8. Just reading through the whole thing thread now and enjoying it.

8 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Eoin,

Hi George, if you mean this bit?

59eb807d7b90c_FSO-161IMAG3115.jpg.24db547b129f77f1177d4933f282acee.jpg59eb807d76b0a_FSO-160IMAG3114.jpg.93a6edbdd215f816ad63f3a66f9daba0.jpg

....with a piercing saw by hand, with a very fine jewellers blade

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

flipping heck by hand!! Nice one, Must look into getting one of those Saws then. Tks 

It can be worth getting a saw with an adjustable frame, then broken blades can still be used.

big_piercingsaw_frames.jpg

Ah yes I remember using them as my Dad had them in his tool Inventory, Probably tried cutting wood with them!!!

17 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Ah yes I remember using them as my Dad had them in his tool Inventory, Probably tried cutting wood with them!!!

There are fretsaws about, intended largely for wood, mostly taking pin-ended blades.
719510_1299588048_z.jpg

I used one of these saws for 25 years on the aero modelling side 

IMG_3509.jpg

6 hours ago, Broithe said:

There are fretsaws about, 

Whoops, coping saws I meant - sometimes I just can't cope...

4 hours ago, Noel said:

I used one of these saws for 25 years on the aero modelling side 

IMG_3509.jpg

OOOH! not for metal - please nobody try metal on one of these;- or ouch time will be had!

Eoin

Hi Eoin,. Have to say you work and skills are on a completely different level,. fantastic thread. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, murrayec said:

OOOH! not for metal - please nobody try metal on one of these;- or ouch time will be had!

Eoin

I know :) Lite ply, spruce, balsa

• Like 1