Modelling the Bord na Mona

Rate this topic

Aussie Phil

Gday all,

Live in Australia and fell in love with the bord na mona peat bog railways on a visit to my girlfriends home in Waterford last year. I have started modelling a layout 9 foot by 3 foot in On16 and need some help in getting a sense of scale for the models. If anyone has any plans or the ability to do simple measurements it would really be appreciated, specifically the wagons and locos such as the simplex and railmotors. I will keep all updated with the building process and thank all for the inspiration I have gained of your threads.

Glad to be able to share with like minded people and will pick your brains for tips and tricks as I go if thats ok.

Phil

G'day Phil.

New Irish Lines Vol.2 No.4 - November 2000 - page 104

New Irish Lines Vol.3 No.2 - November 2002 - page 60

and best of all

Irish Lines Issue 3 - Spring 1993. More peat based rail info than you can shake a turf spade at. You can thank Garfield for uploading the scans :P

http://newirishlines.org/archive-2/

Richie.

Thanks so much for that. They are brilliant. Has a quick read today and will help me a lot

welcome phil - i have great affection for the little bog railway - so i am looking forward to seeing your progress. every success with it. have loads of pics of the Hobarts if they are of use to you. seamus

Would love to see your photos. If you can just send a low res to sipphotography@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance mate. Looking forward to the challenge of replicating the feel of this little railway

The final plan is to have a few wagons and a small old loco stored in the road. The approach will still be used as a siding with refuelling facilities. Next I have started building a nissen hut style loco shed which will also be abandoned. Its based on a few I have seen and research that the BnM have left from steam days. Building the refuelling tank has begun but I now have to be conscious that I am moving so work has slowed. Will keep the photos coming and hope you enjoyed them. Thanks for taking the time to have a look and any tips or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Phil

IMG_3391-2.jpg

IMG_3388-2.jpg

IMG_3387-2.jpg

IMG_3386-2.jpg

IMG_3385-2.jpg

Excellent Phil, lots to learn from what your are doing. I'm very interested in your use of DAS clay, I've only started exploring its possibilities but you have taken it to an art form.

If this is the standard of your buildings I can't wait to see what your layout will look like.

Excellent Phil, lots to learn from what your are doing. I'm very interested in your use of DAS clay, I've only started exploring its possibilities but you have taken it to an art form.

If this is the standard of your buildings I can't wait to see what your layout will look like.

DAS clay was surprisingly easy to use. Just apply a layer of wood glue to the surface you are attaching the clay to. Keep the clay wet while you are working with it and leave it about 48 hours to dry before you start carving. I won't lie and say it was not a repeatative and some time mind numbing task but the results are great. I used chisel blades for scalpels to do the carving.

Thanks all for the support. This is only the second layout ill have built so looking forward to the challenge.

Wow, fantastic stuff, I'm a great fan of Das clay myself. One thing you can do if you have a lot of repetitive stone work is to make a template using plastic card to press into the clay. Works particularly well with formal cut stone.

Great tip will steal that next build. Am going to scratch build a farm complex in the up coming months and that tip will definitely come in handy. DAS is surprisingly simple to use. This building was my first time. Actually the first building I had scratchbuilt as well. It is very forgiving and allows you to create something a bit special.

Next up is the old loco fuelling point. I recently got some Uncle Bens products out of the USA and one was scale 2 pound blocks for building. Also was a fuel / water tank and a door. Miffed with what to do until found a photo of a loco refuelling in Stevens Johnsons Bord na Mona locos and railcars book. This little structure is based on that one. Only done the intial work and still have to super detail. Tiny little building but that's one of the things I love about the BnM. :tumbsup:

IMG_3613.jpg

IMG_3612.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

This morning after finishing the tower and with some tie on my hands while my girlfriend slept after night duty, meaning what ever I did it had to be quiet;)

I came across a nissen hut in a shot I took in 2012. Looked further and these things popped up in shots at four different locations so decided then and there my goal was to spend the day starting off this building. Base built from same building blocks as tower. Its mounted on balsa to stop the walls spreading when the curved support frame is added. Then curled some left over I beams using hot water to soften and attached mounting pads. The beams were attached under stress and fixed with gel super glue. Cross supports also evergreen L beam which was lying around. The model was painted and then basic weathering done. Sheet corrugated tin was etched with draino (acid) and curved around a drinking glass of the appropriate circumference. Once all tin attached final weathering completed. Still waiting on doors and windows to complete and some minor fine detailing. Will knock them up in a couple of days when I get another day off work. :tumbsup:

IMG_3576.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

IMG_3573.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3569.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3564.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg