Modelling the Bord na Mona

Rate this topic

Aussie Phil

Hi Phil

Here's something for your BnM info file and some may not know;-

This is a BSA C15T trials bike that the BnM foremen rode around the bog on in the 60's, I know its not a train but I always wanted to make a model of one but never had a reason.

I'm not sure if its applicable to your model location but they did have a fleet of them!

When I saw the tractor tipping wagon- oh and the vice, I could see one of these bikes, weathered and leaning up against the side rail

murrayec

Thanks for the tip. Have just found a kit and ordered three.

Bord na Mona has this amazing timeless quality. Apart from a bit more rust some lines seem to have had little change over the past 40 year. It's a great thing to model. When modelling the afore mention possible line. You could if you selected well build a layout that could span a few decades. Only problem is modelling in O scale no chance of having enough space for a loco let alone the whole train.

I am however thinking of building some masters for HO scale models and producing some resin kits. It would mean that for a small run I would have a set of wagons and possibly loco to sell. Would be a bit down the track though.

Phil

Edited by Aussie Phil

superb work indeed! this pic has got to get top prize for the most unusual wagon i have ever seen......

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11763[/ATTACH]

i prersume the tractor engine works the tipper? again fantastic workmanship=D

Hey ya mate.

I have found two examples of such wagons trawling Flickr. The first is a ballast wagon and the second is a weed killer. The tractor seems to be used as a generator. I have not seen anything on how they work but I have the build plans and they indicate that it's is designed to push and release a slide bar which engages a ram to lift the hopper.

Have attached some shots from Flickr (not mine) of the prototypes.

Cheers all for the compliments.

Phil

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 1 month later...

So after a period of slack posting it is time I get back on the computer and update the progress.

I have started work on a ferguson rail tractor. The motor is in and the custom gear train and mech are in the process of being built. The big news is that the baseboards are down and although not what was originally planned (as the roof has needed to be utilised for another computer desk) I have a basic and small track loop to test out locos and start the scenery on. There is also a new yard crane that has been built and the first of the scenery is down. Scenery has been completed based on the layering techniques discussed in other threads and thanks to all for the help given. Have the layout wired up and finally running. Some of the initial lighting is also in and working so the yard can be seen now with the lights off. The rest will come and I have started the build on the next loco and some trees. Have to admit the joy of modelling again after so many years is a real pleasure. Please feel free to give tips or ask questions. Any feedback to improve the layout is greatly appreciated.

Still a fare way to go but will keep this blog more regularly updated.:banana:

IMG_6446.jpg

IMG_6447.jpg

IMG_6448.jpg

IMG_6451.jpg

IMG_6452.jpg

IMG_6455.jpg

IMG_6457.jpg

IMG_6459.jpg

IMG_6537.jpg

IMG_6538.jpg

IMG_6550.jpg

IMG_6551.jpg

IMG_6747.jpg

IMG_6748.jpg

IMG_6749.jpg

Have also ordered a brass kit for a Deutz and some wagons from KB models. Will be the first kit I've attempted in about 10 years so may be asking many questions. Will be starting a workbench blog to cover this build.

Here are the last of the photos for now. Thanks again to everyone for so much feedback, resources, encouragement and info that has helped with this build.

Phil

IMG_6758.jpg

IMG_6804.jpg

IMG_6805.jpg

IMG_6806.jpg

IMG_6809.jpg

IMG_6812.jpg

IMG_6813.jpg

IMG_6814.jpg

IMG_6815.jpg

IMG_6816.jpg

Very convincing I especially like the Simplex and the bus coach. I don't know about the present day even in the Mid 90s there was little in the way of Hi-Vis safety or work wear in Ireland, like most workers BNM staff (often farmers) wore their old clothes to work sometimes eve the old Sunday Suit. Depending the County the crew might break the monotony of the day with a kick about with a football or practice a ""puc fada" in hurling.

Well now I shall spend tomorrow repainting some high vis back to greens and blues and bog brown :)

Originally the plan was to model the current era an around a power plant so high vis was essential but since doing some research I love the character of the 70s 80s and 90s so will be pushing the era back a touch. I like the non uniformity of the trains, the higher tonnage wagons means shorter trains and can take a few liberties that otherwise wouldn't.

Oh well at least I have some more modelling I can be doing.

They'd just have not eaten their greens in OO Land... ;)

Fantastic concept for a great layout and great modelling!

Cheers. Feel in love with BnM when I visited Ireland in 2012. So started the build after selling a lot of Aussie and Swiss models. Everything pretty much will be scratchbuilt or kit bashed.

The bog man unfortunately would look like a colony of Midgets in O scale :)

Phil

Fantastic work so far - navy blue for the overalls. from memory the hard hats were white, no idea why but I clearly remember seeing the trains working and the other machines mill the peat as a nipper while helping turn hand cut turf near to where they worked in the midlands in the late 70s/early 80s - so I can assue you your modelling brings back memories ........ and of being eaten alive by midges (mosquitoes).

Paul R.

Jesus Phil, you're putting us all to shame! I can't believe how much you have achieved in 6 months, and a subject matter that is on the other side of the world! You're weathering and attention to detail is unbelievable. Seeing the rolling stock against some scenery is just fantastic! Keep up the good work!

• Like 1