Irish Railway Modeller Name.

Rate this question

Chevron

Question

Ok so something has be bugging me a little.

The name "Irish Railway Modeller" Is it meant as

"Irish Railway" Modeller as in only forums about modeling of Irish Locos ,carriages and wagons.

or is it meant as

"Irish" Railway Modeller as in Irish people modelling Railways?

Just looking to clarify if this in-fact the correct forum for me as i wont be dealing with Irish stock as a main.

19 answers to this question

I see it as "modelling the railways in ireland" be they north or south.

If you're happy here, throw out whatever floats your boat, hoover diesels, chesapeake railroad, the ding-dong in Jaipuur, or Baby Gm's in BallyGoBroke. There will be someone here that has an interest.

R.

There are even people posting about aircraft now!! As Glenderg says what ever your interest then someone else here will share it. Also so many aspects of railway modelling are not related to a specific era, system or country - eg making scenery, track laying tips, scratch building techniques, wiring the layout etc.

Maybe the site name should be changed as the site now has very little Irish Railway Modelling going on. We now have planes, tanks, boats, trucks, cars, US railways, continental railways, British railways. Anything but Irish Railway Modeling going on here.

Couldn't disagree more. There are plenty of posts about modelling Irish railways - Kirley Junction, Patrick's Layout, Modelling Bord na Mona, Tara Junction, Amiens Street Terminus, JM Design's Tin / Heating vans, 33lima's NIR 80-Class DEMU, murrayec's DART units, Riversuir's Tara wagons and so on.

If you want to remove all the things you list the people like Noel from Tara Jct wouldn't be able to include references to his road vehicles which add so much to his layout's appeal. If you dont like the non railway subjects then you don't have to look at those sub-forums.

The inclusion of non-railway subjects doesn't diminish the amount of Irish failway models that the site can feature. It is people who are modelling Irish railways who are not posting updates, pictures etc of their models and layouts who diminish the amount of coverage of the subject on the site. We haven't seen any postings from Ballykay recently and Mark how about a look at your layout?

• Like 1

Couldn't disagree more. There are plenty of posts about modelling Irish railways - Kirley Junction, Patrick's Layout, Modelling Bord na Mona, Tara Junction, Amiens Street Terminus, JM Design's Tin / Heating vans, 33lima's NIR 80-Class DEMU, murrayec's DART units, Riversuir's Tara wagons and so on.

If you want to remove all the things you list the people like Noel from Tara Jct wouldn't be able to include references to his road vehicles which add so much to his layout's appeal. If you dont like the non railway subjects then you don't have to look at those sub-forums.

The inclusion of non-railway subjects doesn't diminish the amount of Irish failway models that the site can feature. It is people who are modelling Irish railways who are not posting updates, pictures etc of their models and layouts who diminish the amount of coverage of the subject on the site. We haven't seen any postings from Ballykay recently and Mark how about a look at your layout?

The site is called irish railway modeller and to a lot of guys out there that means modelling irish railways. If it weren't for a hand full of guys on here posting up Irish stuff the site would be nothing more than a chat room for trivia. At the minute you only have a hand full of guys who actually take time to post up anything to do with irish modelling. When's the last time josefstadt you posted anything in your workbench or layout area? Do you even have a workbench or layout area? As for recent posts on my layout section Ballykay and my workbench one has 30 pages and the other has 35 which is a hell of a lot more than the majority of members here have posted. There will be more to come but I just can't magic it out of thin air. At the end of the day the site was set up for those of us who model IRISH RAILWAYS it had drifted away from that subject to just general talk about modelling and full size trains so maybe time for a name change to reflect the content of the site.

Edited by Anthony

If it weren't for a hand full of guys on here posting up Irish stuff the site would be nothing more than a chat room for trivia.

... so maybe time for a name change to reflect the content of the site.

Don't think so. These are the stat's for the site.

IRM_STATS.jpg

Out of the 36,976 posts on this forum, 11,530 are directly related to Irish Railway Modelling, highlighted in blue.

Out of the 36,976 posts on this forum, 3,910 are related to buses etc. just less than 12% of the site, so you can allay any fears that the forum might be suddenly flooded with "doll's houses".

• Like 1

I dont think a name change is needed.

Maybe a tagline/catchphrase. ist all down to the banner.

My first thought on this forum was an Irish website about modelling train\railways, it wasn't until i noticed that the majority of it was actually about modelling Irish railways.

I think what i first thought would be best unless of course admin and mods want it as the latter.

Just my 2cents

Leave it as is! The core of the site will always be Irish Railways themed. We're a small community and it's great to see other forums being set up under the overall banner, it adds interest, and it keeps the site alive and fresh. Why can't the name of the site have both meanings? I fall in to both categories- I model Irish railways, and am Irish.

I'm really concerned about Anthony's post. My layout lies in about 20 different pieces at the moment, all at various stages of completion. Should I leave the forum because I don't currently have anything of interest to post? If you want this to be an exclusive little club for a handful of select contributors that's an awful shame. I'm in my 30's and hope to be contributing to the banter here for many years to come. When time an money permit I will reveal work and layout, but I'm sure like many others on this site, the craic banter and knowledge that is share on here is the most important reason for logging on after a hard days work.

• Like 1

Leave it as is! The core of the site will always be Irish Railways themed. We're a small community and it's great to see other forums being set up under the overall banner, it adds interest, and it keeps the site alive and fresh. Why can't the name of the site have both meanings? I fall in to both categories- I model Irish railways, and am Irish.

I'm really concerned about Anthony's post. My layout lies in about 20 different pieces at the moment, all at various stages of completion. Should I leave the forum because I don't currently have anything of interest to post? If you want this to be an exclusive little club for a handful of select contributors that's an awful shame. I'm in my 30's and hope to be contributing to the banter here for many years to come. When time an money permit I will reveal work and layout, but I'm sure like many others on this site, the craic banter and knowledge that is share on here is the most important reason for logging on after a hard days work.

:tumbsup:

That'll do me. It's hard to model things without discussing the prototypes, and their methods of operation. Modelling of other 'outside interests' can also reveal relevant skills and techniques - as uninterested as I am in buses, I still follow the excellent work and products in those threads.

Along with a lot of others, I suspect, I'm on here to learn and contribute where I can..

Oh, and I did build a doll's house for someone once, but I don't have any pictures - phew....

Same for me. I don't have anything worth showing but I check in here a couple of times each day. It's great to keep track of what's going on. And with an interest in aviation for example the current changes keep me interested. There are many different opinions out there and I would never be one to say that someone else's ideas or opinions are less worthwhile than anyone else's.

• Like 1

The Site Forums are:

Irish Railway Modelling which contains 11 high level forums, all relating to Irish Railway Modelling (primarily models of Irish railways but as I said it works both ways)

Followed by a small section on Photo Galleries - full of reference material for the Irish Railway modeller

Then Railway Related modelling - showcase skills and models related to your model layout, be that buses or planes, or trucks or buildings (still on topic here as far as I can see)

Then we have a very clearly delineated "Non irish railway modelling" section, where those modellers who look to the British, US, Canadian or other outlines can share their skills and experiences.

Then we have a forum for almost every single supplier of service, goods, models, materials and similar - all directly there due to the relevance to the Irish Railway modeller.

In addition, we have a Blog section for Irish Railway Modellers can keep a diary - http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/blog.php

Albums - for your Irish railway Modelling photos and videos http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/album.php

A Calendar - for items of interest to the irish Railway Modeller http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/calendar.php

And an extensive and growing Resources Section - http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/content.php - containing prototype drawings and a database of Irish Railway Models.

Pretty clear to me what the site is about :):)

To requote the 'goal' for the site when it was created:

The goal is to run an open, transparent community for the irish railway modeller and modelling.