Connolly Station in "N"

Rate this topic

driver301

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi driver301

You are doing a spectacular job on Connolly Station, I'm looking forward to seeing it if the opportunity arises.

You will be glad to hear that the development of the N DART body is near completion. The body prints are now cutting to an acceptable level, which was a trial n error exercise over the last couple of months. The next item is the jig tool to wrap the body sheet to the glazing structure and a few moulds for;- door rails, roof vents, pantograph recess and corridor connectors, dare I say its then done!!

Eoin

Hi Murrayec,

Thanks for the update on the Dart. Glad to hear it is getting there & fair play to you for developing it. The 00 scale models are simply stunning.

Do you think it one would be ready by Easter time? I plan to take the layout to the St Josephs show in Wexford & would like to have a Dart unit to run.

Paul.

• 1 month later...

That looks fantastic Eoin. I cant wait to get one on the Connolly layout!

It is perfect as it is even without any further adjustments. Also the tomix chassis is an excellent choice to power the unit.........I will PM you with my order!

Fair play to you for developing the Dart in both 00 & N.

• 2 months later...

driver301

Your layout is a real credit to you and your modelling skills and an exemplary display of what can be achieved in N gauge. Hopefully it will be exhibited at some of the events coming up this year or next. It would be a real treat to see it. I am also modelling in N gauge and I am building up my skills by trying out different projects. I have an eclectic collection of Irish rolling stock which mainly gets an out on my T-Trak layout . Since seeing your layout one of the projects that I would like to try out the conversion of a Farish class 158 or 150 into respectively a class 2700 or class 2800. You have said that the 150 and 158 need to be modified. Could you at some time provide set out the main elements that need to be modified and say briefly how you did that.

MikeO

I did not think it would be remotely possible to model anything Irish in N gauge but you have blown that 110% clean out of the water! Its the realism which is so, so impressive, not to mention the rolling stock and buildings scratchbuilding skills. Cannot praise it highly enough! Congratulations Paul on an outstanding job and I look forward to seeing this at some of the forthcoming shows! Eamonn

I did not think it would be remotely possible to model anything Irish in N gauge but you have blown that 110% clean out of the water! Its the realism which is so, so impressive, not to mention the rolling stock and buildings scratchbuilding skills. Cannot praise it highly enough! Congratulations Paul on an outstanding job and I look forward to seeing this at some of the forthcoming shows! Eamonn

Having seen what Paul produced in his 'Wellingtonbeag' layout I am certainly not surprised with the quality of 'Connolly'. And wait until he gets his DART units from Eoin ....!

• 4 weeks later...

IMAG0109.jpg

Thanks for all the kind comments folks. Progress has been slow over the last couple of months due to other commitments but the model is nearly done now. I just have the signalling left to do & a bit more detailing. Here is a few pictures showing the layout as it is with the completed canopy over platforms 6/7 and the OHLE.

@MikeO: Regarding the DMU conversions:

The 2700 is mainly a repaint job. The only modifications necessary is to relocate the gangway doors a little bit lower than where they sit on the Cl 158.

The 2800 requires a bit more work. The units have a nice shape & are wide just below the windows. To achieve this I overlayed clear plasticard along the coach sides to get the desired shape of the unit. I cut out the areas for the doors & then glued the plasticard to the coach sides. When fixed in position I filled the ends & did some work on the cabs again adjusting the gangway doors. Once this is done a neat paintjob will set it off. Hope this helps you & well done on all your other N gauge projects.

IMAG0106.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

Thanks driver301 for the DMU conversion information. If I can find suitable donors I may try something similar. I seem to have come abit too late for a variety of modern conversions as much of the donor stock appears to be unavailable at present.

MikeO

• 3 months later...

Every time this layout has an updated posted I'm astounded as to the fact it's N scale. Really top job, there's many working in HO and OO that can't match the level of detail you achieve here. Top marks!

What new stock do you plan, out of interest? Are 071s available in this scale?