Revell Ju.88 1/32 Scale

Rate this topic

Lovely.

I have a reconnaissance photo of my house (+ other things) taken on 3/9/1940 by an 88 A-4. I've never been able to be sure of the actual aircraft involved - one day I might find out - I must get one of these in stock for that day...

jasus broithe - what were you up to that the Fuhrer wanted pics of your house?

was the aircraft in question shot down ?

No - I genuinely doubt anybody even saw it - he probably came from Holland and the radar coverage was iffy on that side. There was bugger all here to shoot at it with anyway. The picture turned up after the war. The detail and info on it is remarkable. The only 'error' is the site numbers of the RAF base, and I doubt it was of any importance that they used the right number if they tried to bomb it. The town only got four bombs in the end - somebody got jumped on the way to Liverpool one night and dumped them to make a run for it..

By pure fluke, two of the bombs fell on what was then a tank factory..

No - I genuinely doubt anybody even saw it - he probably came from Holland and the radar coverage was iffy on that side. There was bugger all here to shoot at it with anyway. The picture turned up after the war. The detail and info on it is remarkable. The only 'error' is the site numbers of the RAF base, and I doubt it was of any importance that they used the right number if they tried to bomb it. The town only got four bombs in the end - somebody got jumped on the way to Liverpool one night and dumped them to make a run for it..

By pure fluke, two of the bombs fell on what was then a tank factory..

love hearing about stuff like that!

I'll try to sort the picture out in the next few days.

In the late 80s, we were digging a new test-pit and came across a cylindrical item that wasn't on the plans. The factory's been there since 1917 and so the plans are a bit iffy, but, nobody ever met the Germans that dropped the bombs to ask them how many there really was. Four went off, but that didn't meant there weren't five - or six. We were close to getting the bomb squad in when we discovered that it was an unknown sewer pipe.

Lucky we didn't get it blown up....

I'll try to sort the picture out in the next few days.

Here we are. They managed to outline the boundaries of the newly-built RAF maintenance depot very accurately.

My house is just above the 'T' in Teil VI, but they don't seem to be targeting me..

repeDeQ.jpg

The tank factory is where the tight bend in the railway is, right at the bottom of the picture.

Nice pic - model and real-life recce shot! I suspect, tho, that the recce pic was more likely taken by a Ju86P2 than a Ju88, which developments of the older bomber by that time (1941) were still pretty well un-interceptable at the heights these pressurised machines operated, the U-2's of their day.