G Scale Garden Railway

Rate this topic

Georgeconna

Not Strickly an Irish layout but it is in Ireland so hopefully it will fit in. Maybe some T&D or Blackrock and Passage G Scale will come along some time soon!!

I started this with my Dad last year and was at it on and off. It had a long gestation time with the Garden hose being contorted into some impossible and over ambitious track plans so in the end we chose a simple dog bone with one end flipped over if you get my drift.

At first we will be using Isle of Man Rolling stock from Accucraft until some Irish stuff come along!!!

Heres a few pics of progress over the last year, after the plan was laid out we got soap stones and set these proud of the soil so it is easier to strim and cut the grass around the trak without damaging it, Track is all Peco, of course the ground undulates so give it a nice feel as it goes along disappearing in some cases. We will have a pond and bridge and deep cutting. Tracking layout should begin withing the next week or two.

Heres the 1st set of pics.

DSC05656.jpg

DSC05655.jpg

DSC05654.jpg

DSC05653.jpg

DSC05652.jpg

DSC05651.jpg

DSC05650.jpg

DSC05649.jpg

DSC05648.jpg

DSC05647.jpg

DSC05646.jpg

DSC05645.jpg

DSC05643.jpg

DSC05642.jpg

DSC05641.jpg

Great to see you back George. I am going to watch this with interest as I've been to the Isle Of Man a few times and traveled on both railways. If I show the pictures to my Father he'll say, typical the Father doing the digging and the Son holding the camera. I can't wait to see more. I might be down in Cork next month and if a get a few minutes I'll call in for a chat.

Rich,

Holy schmoly george. Any bigger and the RPA will be round with an army of consultants in tow!

Just out of curiosity, is there a lean mix of mortar or so above the blockwork to fix the track to, or is it fixed neat to the blockwork? Just costing out my fantasy layout in my non-existent garden....:((

Richie

Sounds too much like hard work George :) but the tunnel flyover is a nice feature.

I raised my line up on treated pine framing, its much easier on the back and saves the track from being overrun with weeds. I am gradually planting small shrubs to hide the framing.

Keeping the top of the paving blocks flush with the ground acts as a mowing strip and saves a lot of work trimming borders.

Thanks guys, Got a new workshop a month or so ago as I was evicted out of my nice a cosy room so have not got much done in the way of building over the past year and I joined the local RC flying club for a change of scene so the new cabin has given me a gee up. Need to fill it with a layout as well at some stage!!

On the Garden Stuff it is my Dads layout, At the moment he has one Isle of Man Engine, Caledonia, A couple of bogie Coaches and a few 4 wheelers and some freight wagons. which were kits.The IOM stuff only come out once in a blue moon and he is a waiting for some Beyer Peacock loco to arrive. I I sold about 10 of my Murphy locos I might just about get a live steamer!!

Heres some piccys of the Rolling stock we have so far. These are not my shots.

tn_DSC01129.JPG

This is the one we are waiting on, They are usually produced in lots of 50 so we have to wait till it reaches the MOQ before work is to go ahead. One of the Pevril locos was sold of by the RSPI making close or over a E1000 on ebay, If you miss the boat on the models there impossible to get. I think this type of loco also operated from Ballymoney in NI.

Peveril-in-live-steam-625x390.jpg

IOM-Pairs-Coach-Brake-Composite-Red-Cream.jpg

IOM-3rd-Class-4-Wheel-Coach.jpg

E20-4-CALEDONIA.jpg

Edited by Georgeconna

This is the one we are waiting on, They are usually produced in lots of 50 so we have to wait till it reaches the MOQ before work is to go ahead. One of the Pevril locos was sold of by the RSPI making close or over a E1000 on ebay, If you miss the boat on the models there impossible to get. I think this type of loco also operated from Ballymoney in NI.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9333[/ATTACH]

Never mind painting that one up in Isle of Man colours... turn it out in Ballymena & Larne livery! :)

The Ballymena & Larne (as opposed to Ballymoney - that was where the Ballycastle Rly started) had two of these IOM-esque locos. One was sold eventually to the Castlederg & Victoria Bridge Tramway in Co Tyrone, and eked out its last days there, still in faded NCC maroon but with a Castlederg coat of arms on it! It had tramway "skirts" fitted on one side, but these impeded lubrication of the motion and were usually not attached, leading to the somewhat ugly sight of the loco with the framework for them only, appearing on most trains it pulled.

Yes, very interesting and promising. I've built a few bits and pieces to narrow gauge prototypes for a short garden line. The line itself follows real practice by floating in ballast - however due to other commitments the head ganger and his team will not be receiving any prize length awards due to vegetation that makes the burma road (about 2002 prior to clearance) resemble the GNR mainline in the 1930s!

Great to see you back George. I am going to watch this with interest as I've been to the Isle Of Man a few times and traveled on both railways. If I show the pictures to my Father he'll say, typical the Father doing the digging and the Son holding the camera. I can't wait to see more. I might be down in Cork next month and if a get a few minutes I'll call in for a chat.

Rich,

Excellent, I will l look forward to that, Always nice to see ya...

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of hours spent again on the Garden Railway, This time we finished off the flyover and bridge with shuttering and poured the Cement in. Also filled the Gaps in the Block work and eased out a curve I did no like as it was just too tight and put some shuttering around the outside to make it a bit more presentable. Also started work in the Bridge piling (concrete block) and now working out how to make the bridge. To Electric fence post in the piccy will probably do the trick. Loads of Craic to be had Literally!!

I hope to have two days off this week and depending on the weather and If I can get the sprogs looked after by someone else for the day the track will be started.

DSC04858.jpg

Cheers

George

DSC04857(1).jpg

DSC04856(1).jpg

DSC04855(1).jpg

DSC04854(1).jpg

DSC04853(1).jpg

DSC04852(1).jpg

DSC04850(1).jpg

DSC04849(1).jpg

DSC04848(1).jpg