The 2nd Cork Model Fair 3rd Of November 2013 - Imperial Hotel, Cork City

Rate this topic

Georgeconna

Great treasure haul George. Is the hold and fold the 8 inch version, I have the 4 inch version myself and was thinking of a larger one in advance of Des's flats. The 4 inch one is great for bending small pieces of brass and etched brass bogies. Top marks for the show as everyone seems to have had a ball.

Rich,

Shamrock Miniatures are the chaps that had them at the show along with the Punch and die set. Its is to replace the crap one I had all along. There is some serious weight in the tool which seems good and solid, tis 18cm or 7 inches long . Pleased with it.

Shamrock Miniature link: https://www.facebook.com/ShamrockMiniatures

It is made byRPtoolz email RPtoolz@gmail.com or website:http://www.rptoolz.com/?page_id=170

Heres a review of same taken from another site:

Each of the bending tools consists of a 5mm aluminium base which have between 1 and 3 tightening threads depending on which of the three tools you have, there are also two locaters and two silicon tube springs to lift and support the finger plate while you are slotting in the photo etched parts. The bottom of the base has a felt liner to help prevent the tool slipping or sliding around while in use, or perhaps most importantly so that you don’t scratch the dining table for those that want to stay married.

The upper bending plate with its fingers are made from machined 3mm black galvanised steel which should give you a life time’s service without deterioration. The fingers have a very sharp edge to them which seems to ensure precise clean bends. The fingers on the three bending tools breakdown as;

18cm:

• 1mm

• 2mm

• 3mm

• 4mm

• 5mm

• 6mm

• 8mm

• 10mm

• 15mm

• Angled point

And, of course, the bending plate on all models have the full length bending surface on the reverse side of the fingers.

In order to give this new tool a workout I went for the longest of the bending tools as I figured it would be the hardest to work with due to overall size. I then selected what I believe is the smallest components of photo etched parts that would be regularly utilised which was the three parts of a tool clamp, which I have always struggled with. I am pleased to say that the bending tool was a pleasure to use and easily managed to provide the needed bends. The only thing it could not do, of course, was provide the curve which I imparted over the round handle of a brush. I am sure however that given time RP Toolz will provide a tool system for this purpose as well and I look forward to watching this company advance into the hobby.

The thin screw nuts that tighten everything down was an area I was initially sceptical of, however it handled the job with ease placing the amount pressure required to hold the photo etched parts solidly in place while the bends are imparted and I also used the tool to hold a part while I cleaned up a cut edge by overhanging the piece on the side of the bending surface. I will say that the finish on one of the screw nuts was a little off as I found a burr that need to be removed, however I also accept that the burr could have occurred while in transit as it was packaged with several other tools. While each tool was wrapped in bubble wrap we all know that not all parcels arrive as we would like.

Conclusion

These bending tools are excellent and do what they are supposed to do without fuss and it brings this tool type into the price range of those on tight budgets. It holds parts easily and bends cleanly and I found the aluminium base plate a good surface for moving the photo etch around on while having control so that it did not fly off never to be seen again. I will say that if you are buying this for a younger modeller you may want to find an alternate bending blade as the included bender is like a razor blade and just as sharp with a guard on one side, my wife who works for the NHS said that it looks like a blade from a dermatome. So remember that if you are buying this product for a minor.

Cheers George

I could probably do a hold and fold too. Anyone got any recommendations?

Also, a rivet punch would be nice...

GW models do the Rolls Royce of rivet punchers Fran and I would give serious consideration as it is worth every penny. I don't have one myself but I know modellers that do, and they wouldn't be without one. If you are looking at investing in a steam model kit Fran, it's a no brainer.

My own Hold and Fold is from the small model shop. I bought it many years ago from the USA. It's a marvellous piece of kit. Having said that I will definitely go for the one George has. Off to their website now for a good look at it.

Rich,

That's the very one Des. It's worth the money if you do a lot of kit or scratch building, and gives better results than rivet decals. The amount of brass kits of locos or wagons that have half etched holes for punching rivets is huge and I'd imagine that this tool would repay the purchase cost over a very short amount of time.

It's a shame that they don't produce the rolling bars to 12 inches as they would be amazing for curving coach sides in 00 or some 7mm scale parts.

Rich,

GW models do the Rolls Royce of rivet punchers Fran and I would give serious consideration as it is worth every penny. I don't have one myself but I know modellers that do, and they wouldn't be without one. If you are looking at investing in a steam model kit Fran, it's a no brainer.

My own Hold and Fold is from the small model shop. I bought it many years ago from the USA. It's a marvellous piece of kit. Having said that I will definitely go for the one George has. Off to their website now for a good look at it.

Rich,

Cheers Rich.

That's the very one Des. It's worth the money if you do a lot of kit or scratch building, and gives better results than rivet decals. The amount of brass kits of locos or wagons that have half etched holes for punching rivets is huge and I'd imagine that this tool would repay the purchase cost over a very short amount of time.

It's a shame that they don't produce the rolling bars to 12 inches as they would be amazing for curving coach sides in 00 or some 7mm scale parts.

Rich,

Rich,

They do a 10" one, this would suffice for up to 62' coaches.

I also have a set of rollbars for 7mm boilers, custom designed by the previous owner. Animal of a yoke, weighs about 2kg, 12" long, great for roof elipses. Must put up a photo...

A strapline of "Dictatorship" and a photo of a youngfla with a H0 engine suggests the editorial team haven't pro skills at publication. I reckon you dodged a bullet George by them not advertising! Goes to show that ISM can do it without print support.

Makes you wonder how it got to print Richie. Surely someone would have to proof read it first.

Rich,