Georges Workbench

Rate this topic

Georgeconna

10 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I'd love a sand coloured No. 10 to Belfield, as running in 1976 to 1984 period!

No Idea how you order these buses. There does not seem to be a Website or such.  Strange operation. Bit pricey I thought at 1st until I saw that  1/76 CIE bus in Dublin for €160 notes!

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

No Idea how you order these buses. 

I think it is customary to stick ones arm out when the bus is approaching! :) 

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

There does not seem to be a Website or such.  Strange operation. Bit pricey I thought at 1st until I saw that  1/76 CIE bus in Dublin for €160 notes!

Hattons have some Irish 1/76 buses from £28-£32 each.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/86892/EFE_16136_Leyland_PD2_Highbridge_C_I_E_Southern_Ireland_/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.hattons.co.uk/88529/EFE_16137_16137_Leyland_PD2_Highbridge_C_I_E_C_ras_Iompair_ireann_/StockDetail.aspx

• Funny 1

Great to see you at Blackrock and have the craic, no less seeing your work back here with a bang. I think a lot of folk think you press a button behind yer ear and not only does an bottomless pit of time open up to do the work, but the experience and skill required to unf*ck some of these models (thinking shiteways resin) is slotted into a port on an SD card behind the other ear and off you robotically go. I think it explains why there are so few in this community doing this kind of "charity" work... :P R. 

Edited by Glenderg

The Mojo is still fine and I am ploughing through some 20ft Flats I have had for 6 years I'd say in the Stash. There was a Mix of 4 Resins and 2 sturdy white Metal Jobbies. 2 Came with plastic containers and the Remainder had Beer kegs on them. These are from MIR and the Resin ones are a bit poor as the frames are like Bananas but can be straightened out.

I have one more to complete with just the brake rodding, gear and pipes to stick on. A test run of them signal a big problem with the Wheel Set provided. They just would not stay on the track m Maybe a combination of such a light wagon and Scale wheels, the Code 75 did not like them of visa versa. I ended up putting some Hornby Wagon wheel Sets in and hey presto they not negotiate the point work.

I did get a great kick of seeing these rumble along the 10ft bit of track I have live after the graft to finish em. The plain containers needed to be built and painted and these will be CIE Orange.

567_6727.jpg

567_6726.jpg

567_6725.jpg

567_6724.jpg

567_6723.jpg

567_6722cnt.jpg

567_6721cnt.jpg

bit more to do on the KC's the Bus Eireann Orange is on and will be masked shortly and then the green will go on.

Also finished the Decals on the Van Hool and sealed with a coat of Gloss. A Satin coat will now be put on that model. Al clad Satin as the Humbrol stuff is gone to pot.

567_6731.jpg

567_6730.jpg

567_6729.jpg

567_6728.jpg

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Spot on the Floors pop off of the Containers, Found that out when I dropped one!! they run Grand now on the new wheels. Never a Fan of the ones in the kits. 

Nice work George. Were the MIR kits supplied with Gibson wheelsets. I remember seeing some dodgy ones over the years. As an aside is that the portakabin.

Rich,

Thats the Portacabin Rich. My Second home, shut the door, wee bit of heating on, Click  spotify and I could be there till 1am!! 

Got a 12x2 Portable layout on the go to finish some time before I peg it!! Need to do the fiddle yard at some stage. Nice day to do it today but the nices 1 year old party was on. ah well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lads,

Hard to get out to the shed with this flipping cold snap but did a wee bit more on the few buses. I have ordered some more transfers from Sunrise in the UK to finish the KC2 off. Hopefully they will come sooner that later. The Dart feeder would be a nice little Additional to Eoins Darts. Maybe a train pack and and bus at some stage!! 

The Van Holl is nearly complete with just the window frame to do and the bottom floor to Cement in place.

567_6752.JPG

567_6753.JPG

567_6754.JPG

567_6755.JPG

567_6756.JPG

567_6757.JPG

• Like 7
  • WOW! 2

• 2 months later...

Been beavering away on these yokes for about 2 months now, Thought they would take a week or two. The Shed is pretty cold these nights so difficult to leave the fire to glue some stuff together. It has heaters but it add on about 50 notes a month which is nuts.

These are the MIR Curtain Sided Cement Wagons. Gave them a test run and they look pretty sweet behind the 141.

just waiting for the Varnish now to cure and harden which should be 2020 with this cold and then a tad bit of weathering

568_6808.JPG

567_6798.JPG

567_6799.JPG

• Like 4
  • WOW! 1

Also started some months ago (1 wagon about 6 years ago) are these there pallet cement wagons. With help from the upper echelon of Railway knowledge here I hope I have the Chain arrangement correct. I did not get enough chain to do each wagon so a trip to H Samuels is due to obtain suitable additional chain. (without the missus of course)

568_6809.JPG

568_6810.JPG

• Like 5

A very nice rake of wagons. Since coming back to the hobby I have spent that time absorbing all things British regarding stock on the railways. It is very refreshing to follow progress of many of the modellers on here with the Irish stock and none more than wagons such as these. 

Paul

Edited by PaulC
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PJR said:

Love them pallet cement wagons. Where can you get them?

Irish Freight Models have both the vertical door and curtain side wagon on their site,a bit pricey though as their not supplied as a kit as far as I can remember. D&M models also have a resin version of the curtain side wagon.Might be of some help to you.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Calling the side curtain Pallet Cements Done, they run sweetly on the wheels Supplies, No wobbles thankfully and I gave them a light>Medium Weathering. Nothing to OTT. It beds them down well. 

Reluctantly as I am concentrating on the Sasana for the time being I will be putting these up for sale and some of my other Irish Stuff on Ice for the time being.

Heres a few pics and I have them up for sale on the book of Face on a new Irish Model Railway for sale page >  https://www.facebook.com/groups/352507551893400/requests/?notif_id=1519682726235534&notif_t=group_r2j

cheers Lads Keep up the good work.

Bogie Cements next.

568_6865.JPG

568_6866.JPG

568_6867.JPG

568_6868.JPG

568_6869.JPG

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

With the Winter weather finally over it is back out to the shed, the cost of heating the thing has been slightly prohibitive and it aint good for Painting so evenings in alongside the fire were the order of the day.

anyhow some work in progress has restarted and the 1st one is a D class in CIE marking in the Black Livery. Transfers were from Silverfox as I had bought these yonks back. the Black and white stripes are from Studio Scale Models. Some extra boxes were made from plasticard and the ladders and other bits not needed were taken off. I have some Vent panels that I stuck on over the Sanded off Original Louvers.

It is basically a Bachmann 08 in disguise!

I had painted it and then wisely decided to relook at some of the few piccys of the loco and noticed a brake wheel housing at the cab end so I had to add that in and then respray it again. The Small things matter!!

Heres a few pics for review.

I still need to make new steps for the Chassis as the were solid affairs like a steam loco and not ladder so thats the next job.

ps the transfers are still drying in these shots so have not settled down completely

573_7350.JPG

573_7351.JPG

573_7355.JPG

573_7356.JPG

573_7357.JPG

573_7358.JPG

573_7359.JPG

573_7360.JPG

573_7361.JPG

573_7362.JPG

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Brilliant rendition, What colours used ? 

I too had wondered about lights- seeing how surface mount LEDs now come suitable for N locos I guess these would be suitable.  Top head I guess a light guide in bent perspex with led and heat shrink tube connector would work, the pain being drilling the casting. 

Hopefully not missed it on earlier pages but what power plant in the model - I have looked at several.

Robert  

Hi Robert, 

Power is a Hornby Class 73 chassis which was spilit and lengthened.  Runs quite smooth too.

I milled out the white metal head lights and installed a 2MM filament Bulb as that suits it much better than the Leds. took time but got there in the end.

Looking forward to finsihing it next.

G

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Few things going here lately.

Mk.111 EGV using the Bedford Etch, The Studio Scale one is Far Far better. Need a bit of weathering to set it off.

Not to exciting but a rake of MK.111 repaints into IR logo'd livery. I need to weather these as is, when done then I have Shawplan glazing to stick it as the Hornby glazing is unusable and then SSM Etched Window surounds. 

606_0606.JPG

606_0608.JPG

606_0605.JPG

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 9
  • WOW! 1