Georges Workbench

Rate this topic

Georgeconna

• 3 months later...
On 11/25/2013 at 1:09 PM, Glenderg said:

Lovely work George, what you have done to that 071 is nothing short of a miracle!

I believe, open to correction, that the white stripe was 6 inches wide, a scale 2mm, she looks a fraction fatter than she should. There's also a rounded kick and drop down at the lower tan banding to avoid the grille openings, shouldn't interfere with the decals though. A lovely looking thing nonetheless :tumbsup: Richie

ws189-13.JPG

Classic 1970s scene as east meets west. H-Vans and Bulleid opens mixed with container wagons and the best A class livery ever Black'n'Tan with the stepped narrow orange band

Edited by Noel
Lexdysia
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi Lads,

To my embarrassment I still have the 80 not quite completed but I will have it done and dusted by the end of the month, Got the Handrails and Door handles on, The Air horns, The footsteps and the coupling on earlier.

An 071 is next to complete and send away or it wont be safe to walk about the midlands......Here a few shots of the latest push.

IMG_6801.JPG

IMG_6802.JPG

IMG_6807.JPG

IMG_6808.JPG

IMG_6809.JPG

• Like 13
  • WOW! 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

Well done George. The 80 looks very good - and with Bulleid Pacifics and 4CIGs - I felt quite at home, having emigrated from the Land of 80s to pure, pure, Bulleid territory. Later in life, I commutted by 4CIG.

Nice to see a Merchant Navy on 29 December 2020!

Tks Leslie, There is a West Country and a Merchant Navy in the Vid!

just for you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 1

19 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Very topical scenery as well !  that does look a lovely model and nice to the stabaliser rails  for units to lean on as well! 

Robert 

Yea Looks a bit Sh1t Still tbh, I should of just done a large around the walls type layout instead of this Exhibition type one as I will need a van to move this anywhere and I don't have one. Might Rethink what I am doing and leave that area with the houses as is for now and flip the back scene boards to the opposite side. Well see. Also the price of all the scenery bits n bods is a bit daft too!

6 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Well done George. The 80 looks very good - and with Bulleid Pacifics and 4CIGs - I felt quite at home, having emigrated from the Land of 80s to pure, pure, Bulleid territory. Later in life, I commutted by 4CIG.

Nice to see a Merchant Navy on 29 December 2020!

The new book on Oliver Bullied locomotives by Colin Boocock is very good. Loads of Irish content with many good photos as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

In between bits n bobs got the Silver Fox Van kit so working on this now. Need to put that bar across the doors on too, Is that on both sides?

Also sperate hand rails and Lamp Irons will be on plus I might out the console inside too.

Started the Roof Weathering base on Brian Solomons Pictures.

image.png.daef11a3658dc4be41eef94e30e0a5b5.pngIMG_7029.thumb.JPG.43db2d2cc4bfb4ea65f62ac94ef24a3b.JPG

IMG_7028.JPG

• Like 8
  • WOW! 2

No probs,

Spray the primer, Used some pre-shading using Black and white, You can just about make out the white areas coming through.

Then used a Sponge with Maskol and dabbed it over the Gray (did not want to use a Metal Colour) Left it dry Spray the yellow and rubb off the Maskol with a Cotton bud. I did not want to over do the Roof as it is a bit worse in the pictures of the real thing.

http://briansolomon.com/trackingthelight/2015/08/19/irish-rail-weedsprayer-at-heuston-station-18-august-2015-three-photos/irish_rail_074_w_weedspraying_train_at_heuston_dscf5054/

The white pre shading brings up a slightly different hue yellow as indicate in the ring below, Give a Small bit more interest in the overall Yellow.

I added Top hats to the Bogies too for that bit of extra glide not that it needed it I'd say.

image.png

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Thinking about Weathering the rest of the Weedspray now. Just worried about the printed Markings coming off with my usual spirits based method.

One of the transfers lifted on an RTR SF weed van when I was applying water based powder wash, luckily I was able to get it back on and in position. I don't think the RTR versions were sealed with varnish.

3 hours ago, Noel said:

One of the transfers lifted on an RTR SF weed van when I was applying water based powder wash, luckily I was able to get it back on and in position. I don't think the RTR versions were sealed with varnish.

One of the Reasons I got the kick Noel, tis the IRM printed Transfers I noticed came off with another chaps efforts , I normally used Enamels for the Weathering, Thats what I am used to so Reluctant to go off Piste using some other stuff.

• Informative 1

Humbrol mate, Sprayed a coat @ 7pm this evening Placed the coach over a heater on low (dont want the yoke to warp) and it cured by 2200hrs. Second coat went on an hour ago.

I heated the paint beforehand though.

Decals tomorrow if I can get time as we are all called in to clear customs backlogs over the weekend and for the next 2 weeks for so. Tis nuts but look on the bright side those A are a coming!

• Like 1

2nd Coat of Varnish on and the Decals went on with no issues and bedded down nicely, They a Fragile though and some have the carrier film across the logo so need slitting with a sharp scalpel, I used a Point logo from a spare sheet I had as the S/Fox on was just solid plain black with no yellow.

Just notice now the door Hand rails should be one piece and not 2 as depicted on the Resin Casting. Balls.

Need to seal the deIMG_7041.thumb.JPG.3b2d528d54cf42be6d0147f6ef577ca9.JPGIMG_7037.thumb.JPG.8a76870db5c3b5579521fed67e6fadcc.JPGIMG_7041.thumb.JPG.3b2d528d54cf42be6d0147f6ef577ca9.JPG    al next, Leave to dry for a few days and a tad of weathering.

IMG_7036.JPG

• Like 6
  • WOW! 2

6 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

The new version lacks all of the detail like door handles and hinges, but is lazer cut and has flush glazing.

Plus and minus!

Yes swings and roundabouts but overall with the thinner sides and flush glazing it seems an improvement. It’s easy to add detail like door hinges and handles before painting.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small bit more on the Weedy.

could see some gubbins inside to coach in Brians pictures, Some control panel, a Tank and some piping jsut about seen so said what the heck After all I am up against the super weed spray pack.

Gotta put that little Exhaust pipe in too

Started some weathering too with the frames and bogies done, Not gonna over do it too much.

image.png.090808f1a7584c9b0237d9ff60ebf77a.png

9-Weedsprayer_working_at_Drogheda_DSCF4815.jpg?fit=540%2C810

IMG_7050.JPG

IMG_7051.JPG

IMG_7052.JPG

IMG_7053.JPG

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1

• 11 months later...

With the A class arriving a such a lovely runner I dug out a few cravens and though I  had made a Gen Van but nope the kit sitting there waiting so I started on that. Simple enough, Resin is nicely cast. RAL 201

I also got 056 earlier this week and the A4 sheet was taken out an laid across the curved section leading to the fiddle yard, Well blow me down the A went right across the paper, Derailed and nearly came to grief with a pending drop of doom to the floor so beware of the loco runs for a couple of secs even after power has gone.

IMG_9509.JPG

IMG_9512.JPG

IMG_9527.JPG

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 6

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

Long time in the works, Too long! MIR 071 with Proto 2000 chassis and LED headlight being test run yesterday.

It proto 2000 chassis had a circuit boat throwing out 2V to the head lights which was too low to run anything so cut the yellow and white on the decoder and hard wire the other wires to the pick ups and used 12V LEDs with resistors in them.

Horns to go on next , wipers and then some weathering

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 2