Nelson's Workbench

Rate this topic

Dunluce Castle

• 5 months later...

Not necessarily re space. Mainline trains, yes, but there are plenty of layouts within 3-4 metres of length. Continuous runs need 2m radii to look good though and that does mean space.

Arigna Town is just 5m long, my NG CVR project will be 3m. Note that 7mm scale is VERY addictive once you get started!

Easy to see where Nelson's modelling talents have come from!

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

Sorry for not updating this thread sooner but I have been kept busy and rarely find the time to write updates such as these ones.

The first project I managed to complete was this Caledonian Railway wagon, which with the help from Londontram who is on another forum, I was able to accurately paint and letter it. Now it just needs a running number which Londontram has also helped me to source. So many thanks to him.

I didn't follow the ratio method of fixing the bogies because I felt It need something a bit more free moving and reliable so I've used 8ba nuts and bolts. The result works very well. I added some real iron ore which helped to hide the metal weights below.

image.jpg

Quite a random project but I had fun with it.

Nelson

My most recent work that has been done on the workbench was this commission which involved me having to re-letter/re-number, add details along with lamps, and figures to three Bachmann engines. I thoroughly enjoyed this because they are all freelance locomotives which allowed me to get creative and add my own touches to them.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Because I had other projects on the go I thought I would be sensible to keep all of the screws somewhere safe and prevent them getting mixed up with other bits and bobs. So I did this.

Here are the finished locomotives and I hope the owner is as pleased with them as I am.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nelson

Edited by Dunluce Castle

My most recent work that has been done on the workbench was this commission which involved me having to re-letter/re-number, add details along with lamps, and figures to three Bachmann engines. I thoroughly enjoyed this because they are all freelance locomotives which allowed me to get creative and add my own touches to them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25802[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25803[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25804[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25805[/ATTACH]

Because I had other projects on the go I thought I would be sensible to keep all of the screws somewhere safe and prevent them getting mixed up with other bits and bobs. So I did this.

Here are the finished locomotives and I hope the owner is as pleased with them as I am.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25813[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25814[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25815[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25816[/ATTACH]

Nelson

Fantastic stuff Nelson..the NCC is starting to grow on me..:)

In

And I like your sheet plan, simple but genius.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

I thought I would just share my latest project that I started a few weekends ago, it's a BCDR brake van of 1800's design. This came about just from a sudden urge of modelling which meant I had to make my own W irons, which is good because it allowed me to practise more with my piercing saw and soldering iron. I have also made a start on the sides last night. I have no idea when this will be finished as it is just ticking over in the background, but that doesn't bother me as I do like to take my time haha. The chassis as it is, is already fairly heavy but I will still be adding weights onto the inside later on. I have no idea what livery to paint this in once it's finished because they did see action with the UTA, albeit for a short time. But I'm thinking a BCDR livery would be a nice contrast.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks,

Nelson

Nelson, I still see your crossed out 15 16 17 and 18, and I never cease to be gobsmacked by the absolutely top class standard of your work. Those locomotives may be fictitious technically, but they truly are an absolute work of art.

In terms of BCDR livery, if you visit Headhunters Railway Museum in Enniskillen, you will see actual Queen's Quay paint as the background of the BCDR crest on the wall. The livery on 148 at Downpatrick us also as authentic as it gets, as is the lettering and lining.

I was recently asked if the lining on the RPSI Whitehead set is authentic for the UTA. The answer is no, and that was deliberate, as the aim was to make the carriages look "UTA-ish" without being actual UTA, as that body never owned any of them. If you look at the unrestored end of the Golfer's Saloon at Downpatrick, you will see faint traces of actual UTA lining, one straw (not yellow) line edged in red. Incidentally, only loco hauled stock was lined - not railcars which were plain green. The shade of green on the RPSI set, the UTA crest in Enniskillen, and several preserved buses is correct.

Nelson. Nice to see you jumping in at the deep end and fabricating your own W Irons for the 6w van. Practice with the piercing saw and your soldering it will open up endless modelling possibilities. I stlll have the saw I bought nearly 40 years ago unfortunately I don't use it to the same extent as when I was in my teens & 20s. Keep up the good work

Thanks for the comments all!

Kirely, there are so many different methods of making the middle axle move or have some play in it. But to be honest I think this is by far the simplest way. I just remove the flanges on the centre wheel and lift the axle slightly. It does look a little unsightly and the wheel may not rotate all the time but it does allow me to run it over point work and round 3rd radius curves no problem at all.

Junctionmad, I apologise I have used the wrong terminology. The W irons (in my case are cosmetic) are plasticard products made for my by a good friend. I will hopefully show them in usage during the next update. image.jpeg

Super work, as ever Nelson.

The late, great David Jenkinson used all sorts of dodges where stuff wasn't easily seen. Eg his coaches rarely had brakes, underframes were only what you could see and many had little in the way of interior detail - but the looked fabulous and ran well. You are in good company methinks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update to show how far I have got with the BCDR brake can. Currently it happily clips onto the chassis and I am happy with how it's progressing.

Yes I forgot to paint the inside of the duckets but don't worry I'll drill behind them and paint from there. Glazing for them will be done with glue and glaze.

Unfortunetly my desk lamp has broke so I will need to obtain a new one when funds allow it, but that means that I can't model during the nights which is unfortunate.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks,

Nelson