Nelson's Workbench

Rate this topic

Dunluce Castle

Hello everyone,

I thought I would share with you all how far my BCDR brake van has progressed and as can be seen from the photo I would say that I am half way through, there is still a lot more work to do, but thankfully Easter is here so that means two weeks off school. The body and chassis are still separate and probably won't be joined together until just before painting. image.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Nelson

• Like 3

Nelson, it looks amazing and I envy your high quality modelling. You are lucky that you have your youthful eyesight, its a blessing! I've bought brass w-irons and axle boxes from MJT to scratch build a wagon, hopefully over the Easter break. Well done.

That is an absolute beauty, Nelson.

When I was the DCDR's Finance Officer for some years, I put together a rough plan on how to create a replica one of these on the chassis of a NCC "Brown Van". There are about half a dozen brown van chassis there, or at least there were at the time.

The purpose was, just for my own interest, to cost it to see whether it was feasible or not for the railway.

the proposal never got to committee stage, let alone being put into action, as I just had too much else to do and I never finished the drawings. The van would have had to have been somewhat shorter than the original, but not much.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

Firstly thank you everyone for your kind words above, much appreciated. And Popeye I haven't a clue yet haha, I still have yet to think about that.

I could waffle a bit about why it's taken me so long to do some actual modelling but that would be boring and quite repetitive I would assume, so instead looking to the positives I have just this evening completed this LNER Quint D Bogie Bolster wagon from Cambrian. And what a different experience it was! I have never until this kit ever made anything similar and I have to say the whole built was quite satisfying. I could have utilised some brass stanctions, brake gear etc... But decided not to and just go with the kits examples. I think it turned out quite well. I even managed to weigh down the thing quite well so it runs quite happily the way I want it to. Now I've just got to paint it and add 3 link couplings.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks,

Nelson

That looks like a nice wagon, good job.

Regarding the brake van, what colour would the original have been?

BCDR maroon was quite dark - the two restored BCDR coaches at Downpatrick are correctly done, lining, lettering and all.

In pre-war times the lining was gold and a full crest was carried on the side. At some stage, possibly as early as the mid 30s, but certainly mid 40s, lining tended to be a straw colour with a gold-ish tint, and crests were often not applied.

Coach ends were maroon, and roofs a mid grey.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello everyone, 

I hope we are all safe and sound during these awful times! The only good thing to come from it however is more time at the workbench! 

For me I have now finished university, and due to the pandemic it was a rush of chaotic mayhem, but I'm glad to say everything is done and dusted! I was also selected for a job interview, but due to the virus, this has been postponed. So it's just a waiting game. 

Enough about real world problems, me and rubbish! I almost visit the forum daily and it's just so good to check out what other people are getting up to. So I hope to do the same! There have also been a number of notifications from post reactions and approval, from over the past couple of months, which I am very grateful of, so thank you!  

During my time at university, my modelling has been progressing at a snails pace! And even at that, my military modelling comes out on top! So hopefully that'll change. One thing I did do over lockdown was restore this NCC rail chair. I obtained it a while ago and decided to clean it up using a wire brush. Once that's done, gave it a coat of red oxide, gloss black and outlined the letters in white. 

Take care! 
Nelson. 

image.thumb.jpeg.07c624875eae9d49022ae20a6c165e35.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.774ac9bd4cf05ffaa57f08a21ce888c9.jpeg

• Like 10

Hi @Dunluce Castle

Realy exellent stuff. My brother is a military modeler whitch is awful as his standards are a million times higher than mine. That rail chair came out realy well. I had a CIE one from Moate but it's now in me garage so it's lost for good. Since you are a military modeler I wounded have you ever came across Mark Felton productions (it's a you tube channel) It's realy good content and if you have not came across it it's realy intresting.

stay safe

MM

Edited by Midland Man
  • Like 1

Welcome back Nelson, hope to see more of your posts in the future.   Congratulations on completing your uni; course, where did that lump of time go? it only seems like five minutes ago you announced you were off to uni!  Good luck with the job interview when it happens. Stay safe

Mick

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing new projects, Nelson. Seem to remember my college days had little in the way of modelling time, or study for that matter. Pushing up the value of brewery shares and having a good time was the main priority! Different times though, with grants and guaranteed work at the end of it. My generation has it easy compared to now.

• Like 1

My biggest regret re my student days is that I now realise I was living not far from Richard Chown and could have applied to be an operator on Castle Rackrent.....how amazing it would have been to have seen that huge 36.75mm system.... I made up for that a little at least by arranging a meeting in 1991 with the late P D Hancock of Craig and Mertonford fame. A highly reclusive man, he only agreed to see me because I was studying the same subject at the same university he had attended! 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello all! 

I appreciate the comments and likes from my above post! It is great to be modelling again. 

I don't have a lot to show in this update, but I thought I would share this recent creation. 

GNR(I) Y5 Passenger Van from Provincial Wagons. 

Available as a resin kit or Ready To Run (RTR). 

The kit is complete with metal buffer heads, metal wheels, tension lock couplings and transfers. 

Email Leslie McAllister at,
 lesliemcallister@aol.com 
or check out rest of the range on the Provincial Wagons website. 

Hopefully other posts will follow soon. 

Stay safe, 

Nelson. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c4d3735b01bb139986951fa62e4461d5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2f191e18e2b1c2ecc45dbbbd939c4b2a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6def77f9da18aa671e81c69e0733b177.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.056363350b90ebc6f149ba8791ed9eb8.jpeg

• Like 9
  • WOW! 2

Hi Nelson, @Dunluce Castle, I have been following your workbench thread, some absolutely brilliant work! Just Love your GNRI Passenger Van from Leslie,, great job. Just wondered if you ever build the 70 class kit mentioned at the beginning of this thread? I am working on one myself and trying to pick up on other people's ideas and approaches!