Nelson's Workbench

Rate this topic

Dunluce Castle

Nelson, well done, it's very close to the BCDR prototype, 10 ton open wagons supplied by Hurst Nelson of Motherwell, running numbers 592 - 616. It would really be lifted if you could get your hands on some bcdr decals. I wouldnt stress about outside framed chassis and all the peculiarities of the undergubbins. If its running in a rake with the other 23 you have to make, you'll never spot it! :P Richie.

Thanks guys for your kind words, I really appreciate it.

It's comments like these, that want me to start another project soon.

I will definitely check out the wagon at downpatrick.

Just reminded me, must take those photos before it gets dark

Many thanks

Nelson

Edit: it's too dark to take any photos today (sorry) I will definitely take some very soon.

Edited by Dunluce Castle

Just reading back over this thread, and the support form all you guys is just fantastic, makes me want to crack on with another model.

I really do appreciate it, so thank you to all who have commented.

Whilst I was reading over this thread, it seemed to be quite "messy" so I've tided it up by, editing some posts, adding new pics in etc....

I must admit, I don't do everything exactly in order, so I'm sorry if I start work on something completely different, at least It keeps me occupied.

Materials are low and with exams coming up, things will slow a lot down. But don't worry after Christmas when I get the money, I'll buy new materials and things, and work will start to pick up again.

The 70 class won't be started for a while now, to he honest I'm nervous of mucking it up big time, so that will have to wait.

Once again I'm sorry for all the confusion.

Many thanks

Nelson

Gotta put the exams first Nelson, that's the priority. If you put the same effort and all the detailed side of your modelling skills into your studies you will reap the rewards when your exams are over.

You and Vincent are the future of this hobby, and on that note,the future is looking good.

Rich,

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

The 12 ton van has been put on hold because I didn't have any roof vents and plastistruct to complete it, but I will get some soon and continue it soon, In the meanwhile I've started a Cambrian LMS 5 plank wagon kit and here's how it's at so far with the interior planks painted.

Please do tell me what you think?

Many thanks

Nelson

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Today I've finally made progress with the wagon and here's how it's looking. I would have done it sooner but exams are holding me back at the moment.

I've added brass bearings to the inside of the axle boxes, Dapol 12mm metal wheels and the buffer height is perfect alongside other wagons.

When adding the solebars an headstocks, there was a tiny gap at one end where the solebar and headstock meet, so I've filled that in with plasticard and I'll file it down.

Thanks

Nelson

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thank you Kirley and burnthebox, I appreciate it.

The dapol wagon was weathered in a number of steps that all lead up to the desired finish. Here's how I did it.

I painted the underframe in a dark grey instead of the usual black, then added humbrol rust weathering powders and gloss black paint for oil spills,

Then for the body I used railmatch enamel light rust paint on a cotton ear ear to dab the rust on the end plates and frames to give a representation of rust showing through, then with humbrol smoke weathering powders, brush them along the edges and into the spaces between the planks, then add a small amount of humbrol rust weathering powder again to the metal parts. And keep adding different layers and quantities to suit you, and that's how I did it, doesn't take to long and the powders don't need a cover of varnish because they are well worked into the paint that they will stay on fine on their own.

Hope this was of some help?

Thanks

Nelson

Hi everyone

Today saw the rest of the Underframe being put together and the body added and here's how it looks,

The interior planks need touched up tomorrow with grey/black paint to get rid of the plastic showing through at the joins and the body along with Underframe will also be painted tomorrow, I though the kit would have come with a coupling hook for either end, but it doesn't look like the kit provides one so I'll have to make my own out of plasticard.

Thanks

Nelson

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hello everyone,

The wagon is nearly complete, I've painted the inside metal frames with a rust colour and added a small amount of Humbrol smoke weathering powder to represent coal dust, paint was also added at the corners and joins to represent the build up of grime that these wagons had.

The outside body and Underframe has also been painted the body with railmatch LMS freight grey which is a very nice colour but required 2 coats and the Underframe painted in the standard Humbrol enamel Matt black.

Next to do on it is to fit couplings, add transfers then give it a light weathering.

I've also started work on another wagon which is another Cambrian kit and it is of a hurst Nelson private owner wagon and I've chosen the rounded ends to add variety when it's in a rake of other wagons.

I've just started the planks (note the floor isn't finished yet, it needs some more work to it)

Thank you for reading and I do apologise for the mess in the background of the pics.

Many thanks

Nelson

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg