Nelson's Workbench

Rate this topic

Dunluce Castle

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates, mainly because I lost my modelling mojo but a recent exhibition and a vist to Cultra soon fixed that.

This is only one of the superb O gauge scratch built engines that were seen running on "Stanfording" and it really is a wonderful model, hopefully one day I could be as good :)

image.jpg

And the visit to Cultra, Northern Ireland's only railway museum provided me with lots of modelling references, and to my amazement, some wagon drawings :)

image.jpg

My favourite locomotive of all time, U2 class "Dunluce Castle"

image.jpg

and BCDRs only surviving locomotive, No30

So with my modelling mojo back and keen to do some modelling I've started work on a LMS NCC coal wagon (can't remember which variant) but for this one I've scratch built the frames, this way it's easier to get an accurate model in terms of dimensions etc, this is how much I've done so far,

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ooh the cruel close ups that us modellers hate ah well, it runs surprising quite well without bearings and sits in all 4 wheels nicely.

That's all for tonight folks, take care,

Nelson

Here's this evenings update,

I got a bit more done on the chassis and its now finished and ready for a body to be built, yes the brakes are a bit over scale and its too high but I made the mistake by not measuring it until the glue had dried, so that's something to remember for the next wagons.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Many thanks

Nelson

Hello everyone,

Firstly I must apologise to the rivet counters, as you can see the straps haven't got any rivets and the main reason for that is, I don't know how lol :)

I completed the body and the wagon is ready to be painted,

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sorry for the slow rate of progress I'm definitely not one of those modellers who can produce something like this in 1 day, I like to take my time.

Many thanks

Nelson

Hello everyone,

Firstly I must apologise to the rivet counters, as you can see the straps haven't got any rivets and the main reason for that is, I don't know how lol :)

Sorry for the slow rate of progress I'm definitely not one of those modellers who can produce something like this in 1 day, I like to take my time.

Many thanks

Nelson

do not be apologise to anybody for any of your work - not many of us have your skills! :)

Hi Nelson as heirflick says don't apologise to anybody for your work..... just like me when I was your age my modelling skills were not as good as yours, but with experience your skills will grow and you will learn everyday new methods on how to do things too, plus you will get quicker at doing projects..... as I have found if you are building wagons build a number of them at the same time so your doing the same thing while waiting on glue setting say on the 1st one and your doing the 2nd one while the glue is drying on that one do the 3rd one etc etc That way you can speed up your projects..... :-bd=D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates this past week(s), I had taken a whole week off modelling and forums etc... To clear my head and get me focused for the beginning of school, but now I've settled in I can get back to finishing off the NCC wagon, but in the meantime I've built and finished this Panzer 3 Ausf B, and started on 2 more completely scratch built wagons, more info about these in later updates. I have also bought a brand new hornby fowler for a great price on eBay a couple of days ago and when I've finished off the current and started projects then I will begin on making a LMS NCC WT Class Jeep.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Take care folks,

Nelson

Nice model Nelson, is it a 1/72 job, or you into that 'Bolt Action' wargaming which I gather uses about 1/56th?

Anyone interested in tanks should give this a try:

Like they say, travel to interesting places...

shot_2014_07_22_00_04_12_0005.jpg

...meet interesting people...

shot_2014_05_24_12_27_00_0004.jpg

...and kill them:

shot_2014_06_23_23_07_38_0001.jpg

Tried WoT but not into multiplayer with it's artificial 'tiers', grinding or free-to-play or pay-to-win and all the gamesmamship, plus it's too 'arcadey' for my tastes. No realistic functional gunsights and no interiors either, unlike Steel Fury, a proper tank combat simulator which also has AI-controlled infantry, towed and 'off-map' artillery and airstrikes:

shot_2014_07_09_22_03_56_0030.jpg

shot_2014_07_21_00_15_56_0053.jpg

shot_2014_06_04_19_27_02_0107.jpg

shot_2014_05_24_12_30_22_0010.jpg

shot_2014_07_12_17_00_49_0000.jpg

shot_2014_06_13_22_15_08_0017.jpg

shot_2014_06_07_18_18_31_0000.jpg

Edited by 33lima

Hello everyone,

Painting is now underway on the whippet and I decided to make a diorama for my stug, this'll be the second time doing anything scenery wise and im quite happy with it, just noticed the tree isn't straight will fix that now :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I totally understand that this is a railway forum so I'm sorry if I'm breaking any rules here, will get back to railway modelling soon, tell me if you like these types of posts or would you rather see railway ones only?

Thanks

Nelson

Hello everyone,

I totally understand that this is a railway forum so I'm sorry if I'm breaking any rules here, will get back to railway modelling soon, tell me if you like these types of posts or would you rather see railway ones only?

Thanks

Nelson

Very possibly, even tho the other modelling forums here don't specifically cover AFVs; but as I'm a tank nut too, in for a penny:

Italaeri Panzer IVH, Tamiya Panzer II:

Tanks 001.jpg

Tanks 002.jpg

No helicopters I'm afraid, just some more panzers, pictured back in 1984:

That Italaeri 1/35 Panzer IVH again, this time in warmer climes:

Panzer IVH 2.jpg

Panzer IVH 1.jpg

Next, the weather has turned colder again! The Wespe 10.5cm SP gun was converted from the Tamiya Marder II, the former vehicle not being available in 1/35 kit form, back then; I also converted an Italaeri Panzer 38(t) to a 15cm SP heavy infantry gun. The Sdfz 250/3 command variant is I think a Nitto model; it came with the overhead 'bed-stead' frame aerial as seen on Rommel's half-track 'Greif' but as my aim was to produce vehicles representative of those used by the units of a Panzer Division in 1944, I replaced that with the later 'pole and star' aerial, although retaining the early body shape.

Wespe.jpg

Sdkfz 250.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Once again sorry for the delay in this update but better late than never :) painting figures does take an awfully long time, anyway these are the Zvezda 1/72nd scale Germans in late war winter clothing, superbly moulded in hard plastic so there's very little flash and lots of detail, highly recommended. Then once those were done I started to finish off the Whippet that I started a couple of weeks ago and here are the results, I'm really happy with how it's turned out particularly the weathering and tracks. Now that was all the military kits over and done with I began on some (railway related yay :)) GNRI/SLNCR wagons, these are still in the making, they are resin kits from Provincial Wagons, very easy to put together and have lots of detail, the 4 coal wagons are to be heavily weathered.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for looking, take care,

Nelson