Nelson's Workbench

Rate this topic

Dunluce Castle

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I managed to get the brake van, cattle wagons and coal wagons complete last week and then I began work on Northern Ireland's most famous wagons, the spoil wagons.

These are done by Provincial Wagons and are absolutely superb kits, such a joy to put together, I have built 8 (5 for myself and 3 for a friend) I've nearly finished one of them, just the buffer heads to do then onto the other 7

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Many thanks

Nelson

Hi Nelson

Thanks for the sales pitch for the Spoil kit. I'll slip you a fiver when I next see you!

It must be reasonably easy to put together, as rakes of them seem to be popping up everywhere!

I have good stocks of the kit, if any other UTA period enthusiasts fancy a rake, or a few to use as pw wagons in NIR '70s.

Leslie

Thanks guys for your comments, I appreciate them a lot, it's a way of telling me that I'm doing something right and not completely wrong lol, the spoil wagon was the one I was unsure about because they were quite unique and I had to rely on few colour pictures and sometimes colour pics can be quite misleading? But it seems I've done alright, just finished painting the other 7 and will be applying transfers shortly, happy modelling folks

Folks

I have now seen at least fifteen of my kits built - unpainted, painted pristine and mucky - and while all these clever chaps have "mucked" the wagons up, no-one has yet tried to really "age" them. What I'm getting at is that after a fairly short time in service, the lips of the hopper got well and truly bashed! Can't wait to see someone's stake on that!

I assume, by the way, that you youngsters know that the trains were referred to as the "Muck Trains" - so these are Muck wagon kits! People THINK that the M in the wagon number was for "Magheramorne" (Quarry where the Muck (sorry, "Spoil") came from), but the enthusiasts knew that it really stood for Muck!

Without these trains, there'd be no No.4 today!

Hello everyone,

Got 3 more spoil wagons weathered and I'm really quite proud of them, so that's 4 now done and onto the next 4, obviously if there's anything seriously wrong with them or anything that can be improved be sure to let me know, I'm happy to take constructive criticism as it all helps :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Many thanks

Nelson

Thanks Popeye for your comment,

Over the last week I've been building these 2 Cambrian LNER kits but found them to be incredibly close to those used by the UTA so painted them in UTA colours, after all the LNER did build wagons for the UTA to replace those destroyed by the Belfast blitz, so they are close enough and I'm happy with them, I've weathered them lightly and added a timber load to one of them but I think the wooden planks are a it too big and coarse for OO gauge? So they might be replaced.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Many thanks

Nelson

Thanks for your comment, ^ I'll be changing the load shortly.

A friend of mine wanted me to make him a Thomas the tank milk van and the orders were to keep it nice and simple so here's my efforts, it's a scratch built body on a Cambrian Underframe kit, the roof and couplings will be fitted after painting.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks

Nelson

• 2 weeks later...

Just settling in after a great exhibition, it was a brilliant show and I think everyone really did enjoy themselves. A video of the show is still being edited and will hopefully be up sometime this week, my spoil wagons joined others on bleach green and together they recreated a classic 20 rake spoil train from the late 60s double headed by 2 Jeeps, what a sight it was, stay tuned for the vid of this. The exhibition also provided me the chance to give the milk van that I made to my friend and he was very happy with it, here it is on his layout (his pics)

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have a number of examinations in the upcoming weeks so I'm not going to start any new projects until mid December, so until then I shall be finishing off current projects such as the seaplane and tank, just small military models, exams come first! But what is does give me the chance to do is go through everything I have and start ordering stuff ready for the new year, I've already ordered a lining pen and about to order stuff to help me with my wagon building.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Quite amazed at how long I've been going for without modelling mainly because of school and exams but hey that's life :) this 1/72nd scale elefant tank is my first model I've done since the last update and I wanted to try out a couple of things on it, such as the winter camo, which was my first attempt at doing and I think it's turned out fairly well, what do you guys think? Now that this is done I have another U2 to do and more spoil wagons so that should keep me busy over Christmas.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's all for now folks,

Thanks

Nelson

• 2 weeks later...

A fine array of wagons, Nelson & an interesting bit of history re the LNER opens - especially as I have a couple myself which I built for my BR, Eastern Region layout. 32mm gauge, but easily altered for wagon wheels.

One constructive comment, if I may. Wagons of the quality you are producing would look even better without the ugly tension lock couplings. Can understand why folk use them, but there are alternatives, which might be worth investigating. Three links are a bit of a faff in 4mm scale, though I found I could work them if I stuck to the Smiths ones, which have fairly large links and hooks. Alternatively, Dinghams are not bad either.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

Hello everyone.

Well it's been weeks since I've done any modelling, Christmas came and went, new year came and went and now I'm back to school :( so yeah, oh and did I mention exams are coming up lol, so I've been revising and just overall very busy so literally no modelling has been done except this wee thing that took ages to do, but it's now done and I thought Id show you guys. I won't be doing anything until the exams are done and I have a few railway projects planned for then, so until then.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Happy new year

Nelson

Hello everyone.

Hello everyone.

Well it's been weeks since I've done any modelling, Christmas came and went, new year came and went and now I'm back to school :( so yeah, oh and did I mention exams are coming up lol, so I've been revising and just overall very busy so literally no modelling has been done except this wee thing that took ages to do, but it's now done and I thought Id show you guys. I won't be doing anything until the exams are done and I have a few railway projects planned for then, so until then.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16690[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16691[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16692[/ATTACH]

Happy new year

Nelson

Looks great Nelson. Mind you it reminds when Fr Ted visited Father Fitzpatrick's war memorabilia and asked "Nothing from the Allied side?" and got the response "No, that sort of thing wouldn't interest me at all." :) Superb modelling.

• Funny 1