Mk2a coaches

Rate this topic

John-r

Hi all

Could anyone tell me anything about the Bachman/ murphy models mk2a released about 06,

As in do they look the right shape? Colour etc, and are they easy enough to come bye

Question2 supertrain livery mk3s did they have silver or black window surrounds or both,and finally,

Witch is the best looking mk3 Lima or new Hornby I know they sound stupid questions but I just have to ask.

Thanks everyone in advance . Really enjoy this forum.

Regards. John

I've heard some people say they prefer the old Jouef Mk3 to either the Lima or Hornby version. Perhaps someone with knowledge of this model could offer an opinion?

It's a contentious question Pat. The Jouef MK111's are based on loco hauled MK111's and therefore have three small roof pods on the ends of the coaches instead of the one larger square one found on HST hauled MK111's. The Lima models to my eye seem to capture the shape of the coaches better then the Hornby or Jouef ones. The Lima models are very poor in the area around the corridor connecters. The Hornby ones are better, but just by a little bit. If you can ignore the doors on all three models, then go for the Lima ones and get some flush glazing and new window surrounds from Southern Pride Models. Or if you really want to push the boat out get some laser glaze windows and etched window surrounds from Shawplan for the Lima coaches. If I was to do a Mk111 rake myself I would also tackle the doors. The Lima ones don't have the mould of the door opening lights, the Hornby ones do, and would need to be removed. The bogies aren't great on any of the models neither, the Lima ones being the poorest

As for the MK11A models they are correct for certain periods. The IE ones had the silver top lights painted black at the end of their life, and also had the roofs painted black like the M11 aircons. I don't think that Bachmann handled the painting of the IE MK11A's too good as the orange doesn't wrap around the end's as it should. However I do think that the Bachmann models capture the shape really well. I can't wait to see their MK11F models.

Rich,

No such thing as a silly question John!

I'd agree with Rich, Lima Mk3's would probably be your best bet and can be had cheap on EBay. If you do go for Hornby (which aren't bad) make sure they're the new models they do that are scale length, not the old trainset ones which were underscale and well, rubbish!

Bachmann Mark IIA's are a lovely coach.

Hi all

Could anyone tell me anything about the Bachman/ murphy models mk2a released about 06,

As in do they look the right shape? Colour etc, and are they easy enough to come bye

Question2 supertrain livery mk3s did they have silver or black window surrounds or both,and finally,

Witch is the best looking mk3 Lima or new Hornby I know they sound stupid questions but I just have to ask.

Thanks everyone in advance . Really enjoy this forum.

Regards. John

Have some IR Mk2's somewhere John if you are looking for some, have to get the overalls on and root them out!

IE Mark 3's had silver window frames....however there is always an exception! Three coaches were badly graffitied at Waterford during the Christmas Shutdown of 2006 which resulted in them being repainted on one side, with black window frames. See Waterford Graffiti victim 7151 stands in  Guinness Sidings Heuston. Note the black window surrounds. The vehicle has only been repainted on one side. Sat 20.01.07 as an example.

Mk3 Standard 7103. Tues 01.01.08 - Standard Livery on a MKIII.

The Wanderer.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if the mk2a coaches ran with a restaurant coach if so any pics

Also the mm coaches have silver surrounds but on some pics I saw they had black

Surrounds? Any comments would be welcome and a big thank you to wrenneire

For the coaches

Thanks in advance. John

Hi John, the mk2a's did run with a restaurant coach at some time in their life. I'm not sure if this was only when they were used as mainline fleet or not but I have seen a picture of a mk2a restaurant coach, I just cant remember where:confused: From what I can remember it was the same as a standard but with 2 windows plated over but I'm not sure if this was the case on both sides of the coach.

Others may know more on the subject and it would be interesting to see one modelled!

Hi John, the mk2a's did run with a restaurant coach at some time in their life. I'm not sure if this was only when they were used as mainline fleet or not but I have seen a picture of a mk2a restaurant coach, I just cant remember where:confused: From what I can remember it was the same as a standard but with 2 windows plated over but I'm not sure if this was the case on both sides of the coach.

Others may know more on the subject and it would be interesting to see one modelled!

The Mk.2 ab stock was a mixture of former open and corridor early Mk. 2 BR built coaches, all converted to open accommodation for Irish use. They were generally used in two rakes, and there were two catering vehicles - 4401/2. These were similar to Cravens 1508/9 in having a small counter and being really only for hot drinks and sandwich type catering. 4401/2 were converted from corridor firsts and looked similar to the ordinary passenger coaches except for some panelled over windows where the counter was. 4402 (grounded body) is preserved at Moyasta on the West Clare Railway. See: http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=4886.

Thanks very much for the replys stevieb and bsgsv more info than I knew ,

How many coaches were in each rake,

Cheers. John

7 or 8 + Modified Dutch van. Formations reduced as vehicles expired and there was just one set by the end, of 5/6 coaches + Van.

The vehicles were obtained in the early 1990's by IE, at a time when there was very little money available. IE swapped scrap "C" class locos for the coaches to minimise costs, then refurbished them at Inchicore. Initially, Mk.3 style seating was used, but later coaches completed had old seat frames recovered from Park Royal (or possibly earlier) coaches.

John The set's usually ran with 3 of the MK11A's and MK11B and C coaches in one set. The other set comprised of a MK11A and the rest were MK11B and C. The Buffet Standard was like the Cravens with two of the windows of the coach plated over. I have a picture of the coach taken in Galway when it was in the IE livery, don't ask me where it is though.

At the end of their career they had the roofs and window toplights painted black. I am not sure how long they were in the orange roof and silver window toplights for in the IE livery. The running numbers for each coach were.

Buffet Standard 4401

Standard 4101

Standard 4102

Standard 4103

Standard 4104

Standard 4105

Standard 4106

Standard 4107

Standard 4108

Standard 4109

Standard 4110

Standard 4112

Standard 4113

Standard 4114

4101-02-08-10 were the MK11A's and the coaches that Bachmann produced. I do hope they decide to bring MK11B and C coaches into their range as I would love to complete a set of these myself.

The 3 converted Dutch vans were

4601 formerly 3162

4602 formerly 3163

4603 formerly 3166

The DC kits refurbished Dutch van is a nice model but you need to remove the MK1 gangway from the ends and fit the ends with MK111 gangways. Nothing wrong with being a rivet counter or a casual modeller John, it's all about having fun.

Rich.

Okay one last thing, the window surrounds were they

Black/ silver

By the time they were scrapped, all the coaches seem to have had black window frames.

Of the 64 seat coaches - like the Bachmann model you mentioned - 4102/8/10 ended up with grey roofs, while 4101 still seems to have had an orange one (under the grime).

4108, 4110 and 4402 are all still to be seen at Moyasta if you want to check livery details "in the flesh".

• 6 months later...

I am currently putting together a set of Irish Rail ex BR Mk2 a/b/c's , and I have been in touch with Steve from Railtec Transfers he has now made up a complete set of numbers to suit the 4xxx series the standard coaches , the resturant cars and the gen vans , ideal to make up the complete set or for those who my want re number any of the Murphy Models mk2a's if you have duplicates , they are now available on the Railtec site http://www.railtec-models.com/index.php

• Like 1