Modular OO Layouts

Rate this topic

murrayec

A 1970s Loughrea layout would be amazing! Two or three "G" class locos hauling most of the traffic would present an opportunity for a very unique type of operation. An occasional visiting A or re-engine C would add interest, as would an example of the (rare) visits of 141s.

A model of the unique brake standard would be interesting, along with other oddball laminates and things. Leslie's "H" vans would have good outing there, but a good stock of standard CIE cattle wagons would be an absolute must.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that while I think the modular idea is excellent, I don't like the idea of a foot-long bit of one type of scenery changing to the next. With good planning, scenic continuity would be easy.

Hi jhb

Yes I agree, I think your referring to the Gauge N Modular outandabout? Our plan with the large boards was that people would develop 3 or more boards like Seapoint and then a large layout would come together fairly quickly- somewhere back in this thread we do mention setting a landscape standard to try and keep continuity between the different layouts- these are things we hoped to develop up as more people got involved....

Eoin

According to OOFremo there is some landscaping standards set already, eg modelling summer/autumn season, leaving 1inch green on the ends of modules to keep the harmony, etc. Personally I don't like their idea that tracks are on 1300mm hight above the ground. I think it is quite high esp for children to look at. In H0 Fremo standard is 1000mm.

And then we can add Attymon Junction and Loughrea on both sides and create a fully operational 'baronial' branch line :D

Now that would be just superb!

Hi jhb

Yes I agree, I think your referring to the Gauge N Modular outandabout? Our plan with the large boards was that people would develop 3 or more boards like Seapoint and then a large layout would come together fairly quickly- somewhere back in this thread we do mention setting a landscape standard to try and keep continuity between the different layouts- these are things we hoped to develop up as more people got involved....

Eoin

That's the best way, Eoin - good approach to it.

I dont personally think 1200mm x 610mm board is ideal from the practical reason - imagine to carry it or transport it! OOFremo standar is 500mm wide and it might be good idea to have it 900mm long as PECO flexi track is 914mm long (just to have something to cut/shapa at the end, etc).

Hi Slavek

Our idea for this system is your boards can be any size within reason, all you have to comply with is the connection detail, two track through, format and landscaping at connection (when agreed).

We planned that this system can connect to other modular systems- with agreement connection plates can be made to integrate the two systems....

Eoin

Yes, I fully agree the end profiles (connection profiles of the modules) has to be 100%. I would suggest use end profiles according to Fremo, so everyone is clear how to build ends of their modules/scene to join with the others. The one standard should also be for wiring and height.

I personally would not be building 2-track modules due to limited space but I could always build a 1-2 track interconnection in the future.

Yes, I fully agree the end profiles (connection profiles of the modules) has to be 100%. I would suggest use end profiles according to Fremo, so everyone is clear how to build ends of their modules/scene to join with the others. The one standard should also be for wiring and height.

I personally would not be building 2-track modules due to limited space but I could always build a 1-2 track interconnection in the future.

Hi Slavek

Single track boards can be incorporated, they need a transition board at each end to come back to 2 track and agreement as to which track of the two to connect to....

Eoin

Fair enough. I suppose the most important is the joy we would be having from modelling and operating on our model together. This is the idea of this hobby I think. So whatever is decided and promoted in Eire for all the future and current modellers, it should be a set of just some basic rules to stick to while building the layouts, eg. agree on particular height of track above the ground on end profiles, wiring. Those can be taken from Free-Mo or Fremo or OOFremo or any other, but the most important would be, I think, that every modeller at home/club who wish to build would know what is expected to connect their modules to other modules at meetings. Ireland is a small country and there is not too many modellers comparing to UK,Germany, France or even Poland. So it would be even highly desirable to join efforts to create some lovely composition of layouts under one roof and do some serious realistic operation... Just a thought

Edited by Slavek

Hi Slavek

Don't mind Kinvara-Train! he's from the West:)

If you go back in this thread to earlier posts you will find that this system is designed with NMRA & Freemo spec in mind, we found the NMRA spec to be sound but Freemo seems to change with each different group setting up! You will also notice that some of the items you have brought up are discussed back there also....

The drawing I prepared is for discussion and demonstration of the idea, Seapoint Modular Layout is a real live demo of the system and viewing it one can see how it can be adapted to fit other systems that are NMRA compatible- also it's not fixed, it's a design process open to all who wants to contribute

Eoin

Hi Slavek

If you mean 'where is it stored' it's at baseboard Dave's workshop in Edenderry, see his Facebook link above- setup and awaiting some attention.

If you mean 'where is it based on' Seapoint is adjacent Dun Laoghaire a suburb of Dublin.

When my workload frees up I will be going down there to add some stuff I've been working on for it, if you are able to travel there at that time we would be happy to meet... I'll let you know when I'm going.

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

Hi John

The plan is a transition scenic area at module connections, within the individuals modules the scenic can be to their choice but it would be nice to keep the same vibe through the whole layout!

The modules can be stand alone dioramas or integrated into a home layout and unbolted out for the modular thing- this was discussed back in the thread....

Good luck at the show up North, we'll be in Cork at a show that weekend

Eoin

Hi Eoin, I have looked through this thread back. Do I understand it right - the height from the floor to the top of the board is 1000mm or different? I just want to sing on from the same sheet when I start to build my modules so in the future they can be easily connected.

In respect of scenery, I think winter, early spring time should be avoided, so summer/autumn season modelled to give an overall very good impression. Just my thought.

Hi Slavek

Yes the dimension is 1016mm(NMRA do it in inches hence the 16mm if I remember correctly)if you use the feet adjusters you will be in the range- say lowest 995mm, highest 1025mm. There is a pdf copy of the drawing for downloading here;- http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2465-Modular-OO-Layouts?p=52044&viewfull=1#post52044

Summer/Autumn is the one, if you progress this any further please show pictures and give the product names and reference codes, so this can be discussed

Here is a link to a layout I'm landscaping at the moment- Summertime! Seapoint will be similar;- http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/4213-Greystones-Model-Railway-Layout?p=103131&viewfull=1#post103131

Eoin

Edited by murrayec