Guinness Liner

Rate this question

gm171 kk

Question

Hi,

Bit of a long shot here but does anyone have any info about the "Guinness" liners that ran between Dublin and Waterford carrying Smithwicks from Waterford and dropping off empty kegs on the down trains at Kilkenny and picking up kegs of Budweiser on the up trains. The kind of info I am looking for is when the liners stopped calling at Kilkenny, the way they were loaded/unloaded and the way in which the kegs were transported back and forward from the brewery. If anybody has pictures of even just wagons stable in the train station that would also be great. This is a freight flow I am very interested in modelling hopefully when Weshty's flats come out as it is the only freight flow I know of that called at Kilkenny in the 00s.

6 answers to this question

All I can find is that there were two siding on the Up side, and a significant rail freight yard, until it was gobbled up by the McDonagh Shopping monstrosity. But I got some photos... Richie.

221 at Kilkenny McDonagh station 1

and a few in here also.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/sets/72157632184426844/with/8249805482/

Edited by Glenderg

I know the forklift shown in this vid was used in the loading/unloading anyway.

Apologies but this video is the video of a video that was not the best quality originally. It is a terrible shame alright minister_for_hardship. There aren't even any runaround facilities there anymore even for the RPSI specials that sometimes use the station and you aren't even allowed use the footbridge there, you have to walk all the way around. Thanks for the pics Glenderg.

Gm.... am i seeing things or is the forklift being used to lift coal bags to no 4's tender?

You aren't, there was more to the video but it had my 6 year old fat head in it so I left it out.:) That was taken by my grandfather while he was standing on the siding that used to be there along with a group of other families. How times have changed.

Edited by gm171 kk

You aren't, there was more to the video but it had my 6 year old fat head in it so I left it out.:) That was taken by my grandfather while he was standing on the siding that used to be there along with a group of other families. How times have changed.

nice piece of footage all the same!