Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T

Rate this question

David Holman

Question

Does anyone know if this loco can be adapted to 36.75 mm gauge. Just got a copy of Colin Boocock's Locomotive Compendium of Ireland and on p44 it shows a J28 Hunslet which is very similar. RTR models being still fairly rare in 7mm scale, with Irish ones even rarer, strikes me that this would make a nice introduction to doing broad gauge. The prototype ran on the Timoleague and Courtmacsherry tramway and at Fenit too. Would make a nice mine engine for my Arigna Town model if conversion is a easy option and £225 for a sweet running little engine is good value.

8 answers to this question

Clearly not, seems to be the answer! either I have stumped you all, or [more likely], this is not an area of interest perhaps.

Anyway, managed to get some answers of my own, which weren't entirely what I was hoping for, though many thanks are due to Ixion for their advice.

The little Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T is a fair ringer for the J28 which ran on the Timoleague and Courtmacsherry tramway [though this was actually a Hunslet]. I was hoping that I could replace the axles with extended ones available from Slaters and then tweak out the pick ups and move the brake shoes. However, the Ixion wheels are on 1/8" [3mm] axles, whereas the Slaters ones are 3/16" [5mm]. Ok, longer axles could be cut from suitable steel rod, but might present issues with wheel quartering. In addition, the drive wheel axle is knurled & getting the gear off could be tricky.

All this adds up when you have to spend [a very reasonable] £225 for the little loco & immediately invalidate its guarantee... Which is a shame as it could otherwise have present an ideal intro to 7mm scale Irish modelling. Having said that, if you are happy with 32mm gauge, then why not? If so, I would urge anyone contemplating such a project to go for light section rail [say Code 100]. Once did this for an English roadside tramway and have several folk asking me if it was broad gauge. Tyrconnel models do the other two Timoleague locos and some coaches, so a model of this delightful line is perfectly possible. would still aim to do 36.75mm gauge though - it just looks the part.

dont know much about it , but is this her?...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9852[/ATTACH]

only pic i could find - a beautiful little engine!

That is the one. Apparently now the best selling rtr O gauge loco ever. Runs as well as it looks too. Minor gripe is the lack of an underside to the boiler, which shows much less in black, but at this price, it is hard to complain.

Looking at the prototype and the model there are a number of characteristic detail differences. Also the wheelbase looks a little longer in the model and the saddle tank needs to be flatter on top. However, I would say if the cab was completely rebuilt with rectangular windows, the safety valves replaced with Ross Pop valves and the sandboxes put above the running board you would get a fairly convincing representation of the T&CR loco.

The smokebox is a little far back as well though depending on how much surgery you want to do to it,I would leave it, but if you did modify it you could change the buffers as well.

A layout based on the T & C would be amazing.... Especially if given the David Holman treatment!

I agree Courtmacsharry definitely deserves the Dave Holman treatment with a little help from Glenderg! Apart from lifting the track little seems to have changed in the 50 odd years since closure http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20C/Courtmacsherry/IrishRailwayStations.html

I looked seriously at modelling the T&C in 7mm as nearly all the locos and shortie bogie coaches are available from Alphagraphix, but decided to stick with 4mm.

The T&C was probably the nearest thing in Ireland to classic Light Railways like the Colonel Stephens lines, with its odd locomotive collection and wooden and corrugated iron buildings. While a simple light railway it could get surprisingly busy with double headed seaside excursions from Cork and heavy beet and cattle traffic from Timoleague.