David Holman

Arigna Town - this week's scenery

If anyone is interested, there is a short piece of video on RMweb from the Farnham show last weekend. In the exhibition section, easy to find.

Superb David. What sublime realism.

• WOW! 1

On 18/10/2017 at 8:27 PM, Irishrailwayman said:

A great depiction of the Slow Late Never Comes (the little railway with the big name)! Just gorgeous in 7mm!

GWR 0-6-0 Tank and an auto coach is one of my favourite combinations. Iconic GWR heaven. 

On 27/10/2017 at 8:24 PM, Noel said:

GWR 0-6-0 Tank and an auto coach is one of my favourite combinations. Iconic GWR heaven. 

This is the combo that I have on order so watch this space...

Bexleyheath today.

The new G Class, Deutz diesel acquitted itself very well today, in somewhat trying circumstances. Nothing wrong with the show, or indeed the hospitality, but the weather highlighted the problems of a winter show. The day began in pouring rain and 1c, soon turning to snow, so by the time I reached the venue at 8am, there was an inch of slush on the ground and it was snowing hard. Not the best recipe for getting a layout 50 yards from car to halls, especially when other exhibitors vehicles blocked the way necessitating sackbarrowing the boards across more mud and slush. 

With the doors open, the hall was pretty damned cold, but unfortunately it stayed that way as this was the entrance and, there was NO heating! Arigna Town lives in what was once an integral garage, but now my workshop, complete with central heating, so it does not enjoy the cold. Axles boxes seem to tighten, meaning the two small tanks especially suffer from wheel slip, while the turntable also tends to catch the coping stones around its edge. Add in a broken toggle on one of the points [meaning the wire in tube could only be push/pulled using pliers] and it was a more trying day than usual, with a fair bit of remedial work needed for the next outing at the end of January.

Equally, such things are all part and parcel of the exhibition scene. Layouts lead a hard life on the road, with 7-8 hours of intensive use each day, so you tend to expect stuff to happen from time to time. If only it hadn't been quite so cold!

However, the little G did itself proud, substituting for the J26 on the stores/coal trains. It could probably do with a bit of weight in the bonnet to help the four wheel drive, but has proved to be a smooth, slow runner, ideal for such duties. By packing up time, at least it had stopped snowing and the roads were mercifully clear on the way home.

DSCN2602.jpg

DSCN2603.jpg

DSCN2604.jpg

DSCN2605.jpg

• Like 7